Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how will you handle it...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'd sleep in, but I'd miss the craic in school.

I'm not all that bothered really.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

i've got my gun cocked and locked.
    only messing, i did the leaving about 4 years ago,
    and every year its the same shít, people freaking out, "its the end of the world".... and all that rubbish.

couple of questions you should ask yourself.
    1. do you know what you would like to do in the future, what career path etc?
    2. now that i know what i want to do, how do i go about doing it? what course do i have to do, if i get less points then i need, is there a way-around in order to get the course?

i got 250 in the leaving, but i knew what i wanted to do, i did a plc course which brought me upto and well above the points requirment for the degree course i've just finished. (in fact about 1/2 of people that i went to college with did similar)

im doing my honours degree year next year from sept to june too.

one thing, if you dont get the points requirment, try and find a plc course that will bring you upto the requirment, talk to the course lecturers etc and find out is it an advantage to do the course.

i wouldn't repeat the leaving unless i had to, its like reading a book or watching a film for the second time, its boring, you'll be easily distracted, and chances are you'll know a lot of the people in the class anyway.
    do a plc, start fresh, make new friends and you'll be more attentive, it'll be like first year in secondary school when you did really well before you became too friendly with the rest of the class and started messing about.
    people doing plc are generally interesed and more focused then a 6th year class too.

that said, good luck with the results hope ye all get what ye want.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

^what he said:)
    Some people are far too worried or serious about exams tbh.
    No matter how well you are prepared, there is an element of luck in these exams which no amount of preparation will prepare you for.

Take Higher level physics this year, I was slightly shocked when I saw that paper on the 18th:eek:.
    There is more than one way of getting into a degree course irrespective of the(for the most part) memory test they call the Leaving cert.
    On the issue of results, I will sleep till noon and just get them online.
    Then to the pub with a few mates who are taking this exact approach:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

i wouldn't repeat the leaving unless i had to, its like reading a book or watching a film for the second time, its boring, you'll be easily distracted, and chances are you'll know a lot of the people in the class anyway.
    do a plc, start fresh, make new friends and you'll be more attentive, it'll be like first year in secondary school when you did really well before you became too friendly with the rest of the class and started messing about.
    people doing plc are generally interesed and more focused then a 6th year class too.

that said, good luck with the results hope ye all get what ye want.
    :cool:

Wait the LC is supposed to be interesting the first time round!? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Lol. Also, my first to fifth yr performance was quite awful, I never have had that one year of being succesful and slacking off.

Here is this serious, that we have to count the points up ourselves? That is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Here is this serious, that we have to count the points up ourselves? That is just wrong.
    Eh?Well thats ****ing ****!I've already done my maths exam!!!I already know how to add!!But I don't want to have too!!!!Damn it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Come on, it isn't that difficult! The only possible thing wrong is that your nerves may make you miscount. Just take in a piece of paper with you, with the points for each grade at both levels written down already, and write down each result. Then add up, and subtract the results after your sixth subject.

Or get a teacher to help if the nerves are too fraught. They'll be happy to help, after all, they know how stressful it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

youre worrying about having to count up your points yourself. lol sure the points mean nothing till the CAO offeres come.

I already know what my points will be (400+, probably 425) but jesus is it so difficult for them to put them on the damn paper along with the results?!?!?Arghhh!!!!Ah well.I probably won't even add up the points till later.As long as I look at the paper and see all B's, I couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm not worrying, it's just like I want my points right in front of my face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

I'm dreading the results!!I know I won't get what I want becaue I did'nt put in enough work...I think I'll go down to my school for 9 to get my results...I don't like the idea of the teachers seeing the results before we do,afterall we were the ones who did the exam,we should see the results before they do!!
    There is an awful lot of pressure on us the students to do well and you don't really see that until you the one doing the leaving cert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

When does the cao release offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

the cao releases them on the 15th...tick tock!:rolleyes:

ive been thinking(no it didnt hurt!;) ) and one of the things thats bothering me the most...is the counting of points...why O why cant the cao print the actual points at the bottom of the results. it seems like it would be pretty simple:o :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Extreme-LoopZ

Because they like to make us SUFFER!!! :p
    Seriously I know I'm gonna be miffed, I was aiming for 500 points so I would get the 1000 notes in Maynooth and an apartment reserved. I bet I'll get 495. Betcha.:( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ah now, counting points isn't all that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I know someone who added her points up wrong, thought she'd only got her second choice, then was shocked to see she got her first and realise she'd done it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Lads if ye can't count up your points after 14 years of maths then you really don't deserve to be moving forward with your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Roonels wrote:
    the cao releases them on the 15th...tick tock!:rolleyes:

ive been thinking(no it didnt hurt!;) ) and one of the things thats bothering me the most...is the counting of points...why O why cant the cao print the actual points at the bottom of the results. it seems like it would be pretty simple:o :rolleyes:

Because the CAO don't give us the results. They give us offers on the 20th too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

carlowboy wrote:
    Because the CAO don't give us the results. They give us offers on the 20th too btw.

Sooo, I can check offers from cao online on the 20th, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sooo, I can check offers from cao online on the 20th, right?

Yes, just like everyone else can only check them from the 20th. Think its at 9am, could be at 12, not sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It's six am.

Steve01 wrote:
    Lads if ye can't count up your points after 14 years of maths then you really don't deserve to be moving forward with your education.
    But see the thing isn't that we can't....its that we don't want to have to!Which I think is perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

But sure it wouldnt be possible to print the points on the bottom as people will need certain subjects for certain courses, etc. So the highest points total may not include a necessary subject for a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

But sure it wouldnt be possible to print the points on the bottom as people will need certain subjects for certain courses, etc. So the highest points total may not include a necessary subject for a course.
    go read your CAO handbook, if you need a C3 in higher level maths, you do NOT have to use it to make your points requirement.

sheesh...

also adding points is easy, if you're having trouble just make sure you get all fails for the sake of simplicity...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

cocoa wrote:
    go read your CAO handbook, if you need a C3 in higher level maths, you do NOT have to use it to make your points requirement.

sheesh...

also adding points is easy, if you're having trouble just make sure you get all fails for the sake of simplicity...
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure there is some combination i could come up with, but i will not try......... for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

FFS, bring a calculator or ask your Principal to help.

And I think the reason points aren't printed is because the SEC don't deal in points and they give you the results. The CAO are a different body and they deal in points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well, the girl I mentioned had added the bottom bracket, i.e. A2 85 points rather than 90 and so on. So her maths was fine, twas just a mistake in how it added up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I just thought I would throw in my pennies worth here.

I honestly don't think it matters what you get in your results. Ok if you were aiming for medicine and got 305 that might be a problem but what I discovered (and the careers teachers,etc. that you see in the papers do have something going for them) is that there are always ways and means of getting what you want.

Let me put it this way if you want to travel from Cork to Dublin but find that you have to travel through Belfast first do you not still eventually get to Dublin (and for God sake buy a map)?

Go take a similar course to the one you wanted but didn't get, go abroad if you can, do a plc, or get work experience and wait until you're a mature student.

You could also re-sit but to be honest I think what's done is done and I wouldn't spend another year on the LC. If you failed one subject and that's the only thing that's stopping you then go ahead but if you don't have to I would re-sit.

If or when you go to college, after about four weeks you'll think the LC was a piece of pish in comparison.

Advertisement