Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walt0rs journey of BULKAGE

Options
  • 23-07-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Basically I seem to have lost my way over the last month or so. I was sick in hospital for a week with blood poisoning and then directly after went away on holiday to the states for a massive pissup in NY, Vegas and California. Now I have ****ing repeat exams in 2 weeks. And I just strained my back last week. I'm determined to get back on track though. This time it's for real. I have to get the weight and strength up.
    This time I'm going to take pics every week and post them up here to track my progress. Also, every single session I do is going up here.

Current:
    23/7/07 - 6'5" - 14st 2lbs (198lbs) this morning
    Image067.jpg

Image064-1.jpg

1st Goal:
    To be 14st 10lbs (206lbs) by September 1st

I reckon this is realistic. There's no point thinking I'm going to gain 3-4lbs a week. I have to keep my goals short term and set new ones when I achieve them. Need to KEEP focused.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ya look pretty thick already. You'll look even betterwith more weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

I've a hella long way to go, I look more than I weigh alright though. Cheers, hanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

*gotta get in and out of this thread quick*

waltor how long did it take you to get into the shape you are in now..........how your looking now is more or less my "nothing- that" goal for 12-18months times(way off???)

Monday - 23 July 07 - Home

Bench:
    bar x 20
    60kg x 10
    88.5kg x 6
    95.5kg x 5 x 2
    100kg x 4 x 2

Dips:
    bw x 10
    +10kg x 6
    +30kg x 6, 5

Standing French Press:
    27kg x 10
    29.5kg x 10 x 2

Short workout today. I don't wanna rush into things with my back still not right. Gonna do light squats tomorrow with my back routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

walt0r wrote:
    I've a hella long way to go, I look more than I weigh alright though. Cheers, hanley.

Bah, the scales is a load of bollox mate, you know that. Your look good, i'm sure with some more mass you will be very impressive indeed.

• Advertisement

I'm 22 now and I started lifting back when I was 17. So the bones of 5 years of lifting, but I've taken breaks of as long as even 2-3 months of NO lifting. I drank a LOT in 1st year of college, pretty much and in 3rd Year again and that killed my motivation. I'd be much stronger and bigger otherwise. Alcohol is a demon!
    Basically it an be achieved in a lot less 2-3 years if you work hard.

Hey dragan, thanks a lot. I know the mirror tells the truth and not the scales. I could still do with another 20lbs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

walt0r wrote:
    Basically it an be achieved in a lot less 2-3 years if you work hard.

ugggghhhhhhhh

*goes to get started*

Tuesday 24th July 07

Squat:
    bar x 20
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 7 x 3 (keeping it light until back is okay again, felt no pain today so happy enough)

Bent-Over Rows:
    bar x 20
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 8
    100kg x 4, 5, 4

Chins (palms faced out wide-grip, chin to bar and locking out at bottom):
    bw x 9
    +11kg x 5
    +12.5kg x 5, 4

EZ curl (strict):
    27kg x 10
    42.5kg x 6, 5, 5

Seated double-bicep curl:
    17.5kg x 7, 6, 5

One arm DB row:
    37.5kg x 10, 9, 8 - biceps felt this...

18:15 - Wed 25th July 07 - Home

DB Shoulder press:
    15kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 5 x 3

DB Snatch:
    15kg x 10
    25kg x 5
    32.5kg x 5 x 3 on right - x 3, 4, 5 on left reps
    Feckin left side is definitely weaker than right. Gotta work on it.

DB front raises:
    10kg x 10
    15kg x 8, 9, 7

DB lat raises:
    10kg x 10
    15kg x 8, 9, 10

Happy enough with this. Back didn't hurt at all on the snatches. Good overall workout.

• Advertisement

Is that 5 sets of 3 reps, or 5 reps 3 times?

5 reps for 3 sets. I tend to put down reps first. Comprende? =D

walt0r wrote:
    5 reps for 3 sets. I tend to put down reps first. Comprende? =D

Ah yes. You must be Russian.

Is that the normal way of writing it? I used to have a log on american sites and they never had a prob with it? Ehhhh so it should be 3x5 not 5x3? sets first?

It doesn't really matter at all to be honest but the normal convention (at least in the west) is to write reps first and sets second.

Whereas in Russian literature it's sets and then reps!

Let me introduce you to my home gym. I'm still in the process of building it, I've only had it a few months thanks to MickK.
    It's small but nice and cosey.

Rack and bar:
    rack.jpg

My lovely chalk-covered bench:
    bench.jpg

Pretty olympic dumbbell:
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z201/davidhehir/olydb.jpg

EZ curl bar:
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z201/davidhehir/ezcurl.jpg

Basically this is it. My rack has grips for chinning and I can put on dip bars too. I have about 400kg of assorted plates in olympic and regular size. Building up my supply as I go along. Some more plates and another oly bar (I have two but one's broken :( )

Sweet!

It does the job. I prefer train in a real gym but in Clare there is no "real" gyms. When I get back up to galway in Sept for college I'll be back in good old galway city gym. It's the shiznit. Lots of strong guys to motivate you to lift more and plenty of weight and dumbbells to push around. Where you train hanley? Hercules or something ennit?

Ahhh you must know Dave Foster so? And yup, Hercs is my home.

He's the lad on the left in your squat video is he? I'd know him to see...

• Advertisement

BW this morning: 201lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

walt0r. I am going to be reading your logs with interest. The best of look with your goals. Like yourself I want to bulk up. I have been training hard since April now and have gained about 8lbs in weight.. Not much but at least it is going up. Im 175 lb now but I would love to get up to around 200lb. I am trying to get the diet side right and I am eating healthily but I know for a fact I am not eating enough as it is still a struggle for me to force the extra food down. Breakfast time seems to be the worst. I can only manage a few eggs scrambled.

Any chance you could post up what you would eat on a day when you are working out??

Gazzer: Cool, delighted to have you on board.
    Basically I don't weigh the food really anymore. I don't think you need to read too much into what you eat when you're a "hard gainer" like I am. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe I am. But you gotta eat plenty.

Because I'm studying right now I'm in a routine every day. It looks something like this and will stay the same for the next month I hope.

9-10:00pm: breakfast - bowl of porridge + chopped banana + half pint OJ - roughly 400-500cals (I'll weigh the oats tomorrow morning, I used to do that and I reckon the bowl with milk comes to 250-300cals)

11pm: USN mass fuel shake - 600 cals

2pm: go up town and get carvery lunch - beef, bacon or chicken with all the veg, mash n chips - comes to at least 1000cals (probably more like 1300cals)

between 3-4pm: another weight gainer shake (600cals)

6pm: another dinner - usually 150g pasta + 250g chicken - comes to 1200-1400cals

7pm: carb shake + gym - carb shake is ~200cals

8:30pm(or after gym): another shake - 600cals

10pm: yeo valley strawberry yoghurt - ~500cals + banana or some other bit of fruit

last night I ate a cheat meal of a goodfellas la bottega pizza - about 900 cals. I might do the same tomorrow night.
    I will eat all of this food in a day, maybe not in that exact order - depends on what time I'm training or if I train at all. It's been like this for last 3-4 weeks and gaining 2-3lbs a week on it. Yes, I am gaining fat around my waist, but it's not enough to worry me. My main goal is gaining size right now and then I'll worry about bf in a few months time.

I tend to underestimate my calories so I'll eat enough. I usually am consuming 5000cals cals min a day right now

21:00 - 26th July 07 - Home

Decided to do a light day with more reps to hit my bi's.

Bent-Over Rows:
    bar x 20
    60kg x 12
    80kg x 8 x 3

Chins:
    bw x 9, 8, 7

EZ curl:
    27kg x 10 x 4

Seated Double Bicep DB Curl:
    12.5kg x 8, 7, 8, 7

BW this morning: 204lbs

Friday 27th July 07 - Home
    19:30pm

Bench:
    bar x 15
    60kg x 12
    80kg x 8
    100kg x 3 x 2
    112.5kg x 2 x 2
    123kg x N (1 negative rep)

Dips:
    BW x 10
    +10kg x 6
    +32.5kg x 5 x 2 (sooo light)

Squat (ass to grass):
    bar x 12
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 7 (felt a little sore lower right back after this, I still need to stay light)
    100kg x 5 x 3

BW this morning: 203lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

ya weighing yourself everyday???

maybe?? what's it to ya!!! Nah, I know I should only measure my weight ever week or so, but I'm just bored in the mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

...hmmmm, bored???...distraction from study me thinks!!! :) ...

Advertisement