Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good/bad pubs

Options
  • 23-07-2007 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Please put these in order of preference and explain why.

Nancy's
    Mojo
    Flannery's
    Old quarter
    Charlies
    Cornmarket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Why?

there are better pubs than those in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Nancy's
    it's a nice place but I never liked it, it's always busy and I hate pubs that are over crowed

Mojo
    Again a nice bar but not my cup of tea, it's ok for one or two then I move on.

Flannery's
    The new bar in Limerick, it's a great place (smokers will love it) I like the place and have gone back a good few times.

Old quarter
    Loved the place about 3 years ago, dont like it any more, it's over 5 euro for a bottle of bud and they are always warm! (I hate that)

Charlies
    It's just ok, again I would go in there for one or two and then move on.

Cornmarket
    Nice looking bar but I just don't like going in there, It's mad busy on a Sunday (6pm to 8pm) the Limerick men play down there. Takes forever to get a drink and they let in everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

You forgot the locke, probably one of the best pubs in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Nancy's- i like it, can get way too busy though.
    Mojo - don't really go, been a few time and it seems fine.
    Flannery's - which one? I like the new later bar one, and Jerry Flannery's is fine too, but I'm not crazy about either.
    Old quarter - absolutely hate, too crowded, crap music, just a bad spot.
    Charlies - too crowded, too young.
    Cornmarket - ahem, nice bar, wrong crowd.

Other bars I would rate higher than any of the above, the Curragower, the Locke, Tom Collins, Mickey Martins, the White House, Wicked Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nancy's
    nice to go for a quiet drink in the early evening if you finish work or something but at the weekends forget it,too busy

Mojo
    gets a bit scummy at the weekends and theres way too many teenagers in there but an ok spot

Flannery's
    full of rugger huggers

Old quarter
    too busy,**** music,crap staff,warm beer,a dump

Charlies
    see above but mostly because its full of underagers and pissed up students during the week

Cornmarket
    went there once, full of girls wearing way too much fake tan a cackling away over their blue drinks, full of scumbags too

the locke
    great on a nice summer evening (remember those!) but otherwise a dump, probably the worst bar staff in the city,seem to only notice you if youre either 8 feet tall or have boobs, and serve whoevers in front of them,never look to see whos been queueing

• Advertisement

The thing with the Locke is it's great location, the service there is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nancy's
    It's grand early in the evening if you're going for a few on a Friday after work, but come 10pm it's madness. I like it there though. Impossible to get to the bar, but that's an issue everywhere these days

Mojo
    The smoking area is a bit small but is good quality all the same. Again it gets very crowded and you have to get there early. Best place is the mezzanin between the 2 floors

Flannery's
    Heven't bee there yet. I have my suspicions that I would have issues gettin in not being on a rugby team (which seems to give carte blanche everywhere in Limerick) or having a number higher than 0 attahced subsequent to the 2 on my age.

Old quarter
    Best thing about it is not having to go in to get through it !!!

Charlies
    I'm 20 and I feel ancient in there!! OK for 2 or 3 but not for the night unless it's a weeknight during the school term...then it's fine

Cornmarket
    There's a lot of scumbags there because the bouncers know every scumbag in Limerick. Nice place, but they should TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!![/QUOTE]

I like this topic, it's good to see what other people think of the pubs in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

None of these places appeal to me to be honest.

Mojos - Can be crowed, poor seating arrangement.

Nancy's - Smoker's paradise which I am not, too crowed (queues outside for god's sake), spill half your drink by the time you get from the bar through the crowds.

Cornmarket - Fair share of scumbags in there who cannot hold their booze, music volume is way too loud and I usually have no problem with loud music but it is a bit much when the bar staff cannot hear your order.

Charlie's - Basically a creche for kids who get refused elsewhere imo.

New Flannery's - Full of rugby jocks who like to be seen imo. Upstairs is grand but the space could have been better planned I think.

Old Quarter - Don't know what it is but nothing about the place would make me feel like having a drink in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

OP can we open it up to more that just the pubs you mention? If not can we spawn a "Your favorite pub in limerick thread?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

again?

again?

There is a topic about the best night clubs in Limerick and there was a topic "Your 3 most hated pubs in Limerick and why" which is now closed. There is no other topic about what people think are good pubs in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

o Diablo o wrote:
    Please put these in order of preference and explain why.

Nancy's
    Mojo
    Flannery's
    Old quarter
    Charlies
    Cornmarket

You wouldn't happen to be doing market research for whoever is taking over McDaids would you??????

You wouldn't happen to be doing market research for whoever is taking over McDaids would you??????

Ohhhh, now I see what is going on!! :rolleyes:

It's a simple question, no-ones forcing anyone to answer. In fact, I'd be delighted if the new owners of McDaid's (now there was a very strange pub) wanted to make their new pub among the best places to go by getting public opinion on board.

In fact, I've long believed (and often posted here) that the pubs in the Cornmarket area (all the pubs above, plus the Office and Smyths) should get together and try and develop the Cornmarket area into Limerick's version of Shop street or Temple Bar. Make it one of the places people want to go out in, when they visit Limerick.

There is no other topic about what people think are good pubs in limerick.

I always loved the atmosphere in PJ's, that place is a dead loss. There was just something about the place!! PierOne is a nice place for a drink too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

Ya i should have mentioned i am doing a bit of market research. I work in charlies and just wanted to get a bit of feedback on the place and our competitors. Sorry if it seemed like i was bein sneaky about it.

Ya its cool if you just list your favourite pubs and why, or even just general things you like/ dont like to see in pubs.

Thanks.

ninty9er wrote:
    I always loved the atmosphere in PJ's, that place is a dead loss. There was just something about the place!! PierOne is a nice place for a drink too.

Good grief, I would rate those pubs as some of the worst in Ireland, awful places, awful.

o Diablo o wrote:
    Ya i should have mentioned i am doing a bit of market research. I work in charlies and just wanted to get a bit of feedback on the place and our competitors. Sorry if it seemed like i was bein sneaky about it.

Ya its cool if you just list your favourite pubs and why, or even just general things you like/ dont like to see in pubs.

Thanks.

Well Market research wise, it seems there's a lot of space in Charlies that could be opened up. What's upstairs for example?? I remember once being ridiculed there for having the same name a s a bouncer in town... I did see the funny side...after about 10 minutes when I figured out what the guys werepissing themselves about. Easily amused I suppose..but I didn't hear the end of it for weeks. The crowd is just so young there. maybe it wouldn't be so obvious if every person under 18 in there wasnt female and showcasing their tits

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i was in pier one a few weeks back on a saturday night, there were 8 people not including my and a few friends in there at 10.30pm, 2 years ago the place would be mobbed at that time,dunno what happened it

• Advertisement

krudler wrote:
    i was in pier one a few weeks back on a saturday night, there were 8 people not including my and a few friends in there at 10.30pm, 2 years ago the place would be mobbed at that time,dunno what happened it

Ii will say that I haven't been in there in a good while, so maybe it is gone to the dogs

I think the smoking ban killed it a bit, there's no real smoking area there.

It always seemed a but soul-less to me, too close to a hotel bar for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

o Diablo o wrote:

Thanks.

To be serious, only the Cornmarket is a competitor of yours.....and you can see what people's opinions of that place are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Charlies had a great reputation about 8 to 10 years ago but it has steadily been going down hill since then and the crowd seems to get younger and younger (or maybe i am gettin old:rolleyes: ). But as the last poster said your only competition is from the cornmarket becauce the other pubs close to ye have a different customer base completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

krudler wrote:

Was about to say the same thing, more staff than customers. The place seems to be seriously unfashionable these days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Limerick has some really good pubs.

Breens is a rugby/sports haven. Old and a bit grimey though.
    Sextons is a good pub.
    Anthony O'Dwyers is another.
    Souths - Timeless.

Some hidden gems too.

JJ Bowles in Thomondgate.
    The Mall bar.

JJ Bowles in Thomondgate.
    Had my first legal pint there...the exterior is completely deceiving isn't it..lovely place;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

Vertigo100 wrote:
    Charlies had a great reputation about 8 to 10 years ago but it has steadily been going down hill since then and the crowd seems to get younger and younger (or maybe i am gettin old:rolleyes: ). But as the last poster said your only competition is from the cornmarket becauce the other pubs close to ye have a different customer base completely.

I won’t argue that it’s a young crowd. Can I get a general idea of the age group I'm listening to here btw? Other than that though, Can I get some constructive criticism on the service, music etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well if you want to improve Charlies, you might want to tell your bouncers to stop letting in 16 year olds and actually start checking ID on the door. Service can be awful at times. The place itself isn't too bad, lighting could be a bit better and the music needs a serious rethink. Floor also always looks scummy, like it hasn't been cleaned in years. So to summarise:

1: Its a pub, not a creche. Surely Charlies is aware that half of it clientele on the weekend are under the legal age???

2: Your barmen need to watch who's been queing for a drink a bit closer. It seems any slut with a pair of tits who bats her eyelids at the bartender is going to get served faster than the guy who's been queing for 15 minutes.

3: Lighting lay out needs to be changed a bit. The way it is currently looks odd, and makes the pub dark in some places.

4: Music - Why not change the genres and playlists around once in a while? Any time I've been in there, I'm always guaranteed to hear the same song at least twice. Also, not everybody is obsessed with awful pop music. Play some rap or dance.....anything as long as its different...

5: Give the place a clean, especially the floors.

• Advertisement

Meh, I like the fact that the underagers have a pub to go to, keeps them away from the pubs I want to go to. I don't see much wrong with girls dressed to impress either.

Advertisement