Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good/bad pubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 barboy25

Personally, looking at this thread it seems to be a common factor in all these good pubs gone bad.. the staff inc security staff!!! Do they all have a certificate in how to lose customers course?? i didnt mind charlies about 10 years ago, but service was poor the last time i was there so haven't been back. is it hard to not have a customer waiting 5-10 minutes for a drink when there are only 3 in the place?? Do like the look of flannery's but how long before that starts looking dodgy too?? service is the key, keep customers happy today they're back tommorrow. maybe the Davin could have done that and it wouldnt be on the market!! Rant over! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I agree with barboy, get good staff and sound bouncers and you're sorted. Some bouncers seem determined to prove they are also comedians which is just annoying. Last time I was in Charlies, a few weeks ago (don't ask, just drifted in) the beer was awful and the glasses weren't the cleanest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

o diablo i myself am 26. The main problem with charlies can be summed up by what happened just up the road from there about a month ago. I wont go into detail but i have heard some bad stories about it. Besides that the service is shocking and thats nothing to do with the sluts at the bar with everything on display because that happens in every bar and niteclub. More often than not the barman is too interested in playing with the computer behind the bar putting on music or looking at bebo. For a place that has too many staff on most of the time nothing seems to get done. It does look dirty and grimy as well and not in the way that would make tourists come back a la nancys. As i said in the last post you wanted the other pubs around you rated but your pub doesnt even run in the same race as these pubs except for the cornmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Time for my six cents 28 years young here. Ok I have only really started drinking back in Charlies since the start of the summer again and mainly mid week.

I find the place grand. Hear some people say about it being clean its as clean as any bar in the vicinity. The Guinness which I personnally for years rated as pure poison is now comparable with any mid stream pub in town.

Ok coz I haven't experienced the mayhem that is a Saturday night I cant comment but like any busy bar big boobs pretty girls always get served first. When I have been in I have found the staff to be excellent fantastic if compared to the service in Flannerys.

One up point I have to give it call in on a quiet night and the glasses are refrigerated which imo adds to any pint
    Souths - Timeless.

Please god tell me this is a joke Souths is a shadow of its former self both in decor and in the quality of the beer. Have never left a six nations match at half time due to the beer until earlier this year. And it wasn't just me six of the lads I was with left as well.

On the other pubs thumbs up all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

Keep it comin lads I appreciate the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

For Charlies to bring itself back to the pub it used to be a few years ago it needs to sort out the young crowd and reintroduce the older crowd (maybe bring the age group 23+). Also playing music enjoyed by the older crowd i.e. hits from 80's & 90's would bring in a few of the old goers. There's no point banishing all the young ones, just don't have them flooding the place. I know if I was out on a girlie night, music and atmosphere would definitley determine what pubs we'd go to and how long we'd stay there.

Just an opinion from an ALMOST 30yr old who used to love charlies a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    For Charlies to bring itself back to the pub it used to be a few years ago it needs to sort out the young crowd and reintroduce the older crowd (maybe bring the age group 23+). Also playing music enjoyed by the older crowd i.e. hits from 80's & 90's would bring in a few of the old goers. There's no point banishing all the young ones, just don't have them flooding the place. I know if I was out on a girlie night, music and atmosphere would definitley determine what pubs we'd go to and how long we'd stay there.

Just an opinion from an ALMOST 30yr old who used to love charlies a few years ago.

Not defending these places but at the end of the day to them it's all about making money. No point in having an over 21s policy if the place is empty. Saying that when passing the place some of the young ones in there probably aren't even 18 under all that make-up.

Any new place that opens starts off with a strict right of entry policy, when the novelty and hype wears off and takings are down, these policies are relaxed.

Nestors being a prime example, when that place first opened up you nearly had to have formal dress to get in (remember the little rail they had outside the door). When the fickle crowds disappeared to the next great place, Nestors relaxed on the dress code, then they were selling €3 pints and now the place is closed.

I would imagine if Charlies started turning away the teenie boppers they would be closed within a few months. To the likes of Charlies their money is as good as anyones.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

There are alot of pubs in Limerick that maintain an older crowd and are packed out the door. It's reputation that gets the crowd in and the beer selling no matter what the age group. I just think that if Charlies have quite a young crowd right now and are looking for tips for change maybe change the reputation and alot of that would be the kinda crowd they let in??? Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

was in charlies for the first time in a long while tonite. no complaints, good service, delighted that they still have kilkenny! saw no-one waiting too long for drinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

ah good feedback! and there I was about to braek down in tears :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement