Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Center Console - Power outlet

Options
  • 23-07-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have a '03 passat estate but the power outlet on the center console is not working. I had a quick look and there is no power getting to the switch. The power outlets in the boot are working fine, these come straight from battery. Had a look in the Haynes but does not seem to cover this and there doesn't seem to be a fuse. Also talked to a friend with a passat and he has the same problem. This would be great to get working for the kids has anybody had a similar problem/solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There should be a fuse. Have you checked the fuse panel at the right hand side end of the dash?

EDIT : The index card in the fuse panel cover is in left hand drive layout - so you fuses are laid out in a mirror image. It's a pain in the ass, but most VWs are like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I had a look at all the fuses but the problem is that I cannot find a particular fuse number for it. There is a fuse for 12v socket,towbar that is missing so this could be it, it could do the towbar electrics and this power outlet. This is fuse 35(30A) but if anybody knows another fuse number.

I don't know if this of any help, but I've attached the fuse layout for a Golf/Bora. It appears the cigarette lighter fuse is number 41 (15A). The 12V socket is also 35 as per your Passat, so it might be of use to you.

Thanks crosstownk, I'll get the fuse tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hootie wrote:
    I had a look at all the fuses but the problem is that I cannot find a particular fuse number for it. There is a fuse for 12v socket,towbar that is missing so this could be it, it could do the towbar electrics and this power outlet. This is fuse 35(30A) but if anybody knows another fuse number.

I doubt they'd put a 30 amp fuse onto a power outlet. That would be for something with a very heavy drain.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote:
    I doubt they'd put a 30 amp fuse onto a power outlet. That would be for something with a very heavy drain.

They do use a 30A fuse. Check the second attachment I posted above - fuse 35............

crosstownk wrote:
    They do use a 30A fuse. Check the second attachment I posted above - fuse 35............

The trailer socket is 30amps but the cigarette lighter fuse 41(which the OP was looking for) is only 15amps

Del2005 wrote:
    The trailer socket is 30amps but the cigarette lighter fuse 41(which the OP was looking for) is only 15amps

I totally agree. But, the 12V accessory socket in the boot (which is similar to the cigarette lighter socket) is powered by the same circuit as the trailer socket.

Bought a fuse for the power outlet. Went to install it in F35 but there is no female connector for the fuse to connect with, I would have assumed that the wiring for the towbar to the fuse board would have been pre-wired but obviously not so that knocks that on the head. Has anybody with a passat got that power outlet working?

Have you checked the fuse in 41 as that appears to be what you are looking for? The tow bar fuse shouldn't have anything to do with the centre console power outlet.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote:
    Have you checked the fuse in 41 as that appears to be what you are looking for? The tow bar fuse shouldn't have anything to do with the centre console power outlet.

Yes, it's fuse 41 you need.

Towbar wiring will only be present if that option was ordered at factory level. IIRC, the 12V outlet in the boot was also an option on Passats back then.

Advertisement