Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance

Options
  • 23-07-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

Is it worth it or not?

€175 a year with €60 excess with Allianez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I pay about 400 euro a year for three dogs but I think its well worth it. Last year I had a vets bill of over 1200 for one of them and I was very glad of the insurance. I pay monthly by direct debit so I dont miss the money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My dog broke his leg in February. Vet bills cost us over 1000 euro, which we're still paying (I'm skint).
    Doggies are insured now. It would be horrible to have to pts because one cant afford treatment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Pro:
    Your dog hits a car and does a load of damage to the car which your insurance company pays for.

Con:
    Your dog is so small it just gets mangled and does no damage to the car.

Pro:
    Your dog breaks a leg/needs stitches/section/etc, these are very expensive, your insurance covers it.

Con:
    Your dog is not unlucky and as healthy and you waste your money.

My Conclusion:
    If you are poor and cant afford pet insurance, dont waste your time but if you are really attached do your dog/cat/crocodile I'd pay up, just in case...

windy bee wrote:
    Pro:

My Conclusion:
    If you are poor and cant afford pet insurance, dont waste your time ..

I'd actually contradict you there... I think if you are poor, the 22 euro a month (what I'm paying), is way easier to cope with than a big bill... nevermind a long-term illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Definitely worth it,

hope to god nothing happens but if it does it makes life easier and allows you to offer your dog more..

if you get your dog chipped it's cheaper for the first year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree too .. it makes things so much easier if anything happens and you can just say to the vet "He/she's insured, do whatever you need to do" rather than keep on having to go back to them to agree to every procedure, and then to keep agonising as to whether you can afford it as well. We got our money's worth in the first two years we had our two cats, they were always getting into trouble. Luckily we've not made a claim for a good few years now, but when they get older, I'm sure there'll be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Any recommendations for cheap pet insurance providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MsFifers wrote:
    Any recommendations for cheap pet insurance providers?
    There is only one in Ireland, Allianz ! So they're automatically the cheapest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

jameshayes wrote:
    Definitely worth it,

hope to god nothing happens but if it does it makes life easier and allows you to offer your dog more..

if you get your dog chipped it's cheaper for the first year...
    Yeah I got a 40 euro discount per dog for having them chipped
    Ours is 30 quid a month for 3 dogs - a drop in the ocean and great peace of mind.
    I would never be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

As i've said in previous threads get the insurance!
    At least you'll have the piece of mind!

My GSD had a lot of problems as a pup and we would have been in seriously trouble financially had we not had him insured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I definitely recommend it.
    My cat had an accident last year and broke his paw, the vets bills were around €1,000 (worth every cent to have him back to health again but still could have done without).
    I now have my three cats insured and pay €25 per month with Allianz but having been faced with huge vet bills previously, it's definitely worth it for the peace of mind as previous posters have pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Hey! I'm picking up my Dalmatian from Laois in the next few days! I'm based in Limerick! I know I'm going to become very attached to the little crittur! I'm only 16 so I don't exactly have an income! Pet insurance is something I have considered discussing with my parents! Of course I would pay up! But Allianz aren't going to give insurance to me! And since the vet bills are going to fall on me they could exceed E100 each time! My mother thinks its a ridiculous idea but for someone like me with little money it seems worth it? Does the insurance cover all check ups including hip dysplasia exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just got off the phone with my house insurance company.

If your dog runs out of your house and damages a car, then you're covered for the damage under the public liability section of your house insurance. However, the dog isn't covered; just the car.

Didn't think to ask if it's covered if he runs out and bites someone. And unfortunately they don't cover pets at all, even under "contents"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oisin_reme

Hey,

does anybody have info on insuring horses? i think it's definitely necessary but i can't find info about any irish providers?

Its not really common practice to insure horses here, unless they're of high value. I spoke to my vet about it and she reckoned that its not really worth it.

I think a broker called Sweeneys do it...

If you join an organisation such as BHS Ireland, public liability insurance is included in the membership (I think). That is definitely a good idea.

see my sig for where we have some equestrian topics. And voice your support for an equestrian forum if you want one ( link also in my sig)

Advertisement