Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Traveller Accommodation at Ardla (Skerries)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The motion was to proceed with developing Traveller Group Housing on a site in the burial ground at Ardla.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's over 18 months since this was approved, but there is no sign of any development yet. Does anyone have any idea of when (or, indeed, if) this is going ahead?

All quiet on that front. Have heard nothing in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have only seen this thread now.

Cant believe what I am reading. One of the most disrespectful proposals I have ever heard.

Treasury Holdings have serious finance behind them and they are the ones who will be paying for any traveller accomadation. Fingal simply cant afford this development but will cite the duty they have to the travelling community

I am not against properly maintained sites or traveller dwellings once they are properly maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Come to think of it when you look at the respect and tradition travellers have for their deceased I would be suprised if Paveh Point and Martin Collins would be in favour of this development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mobydick1

Extract from minutes of meeting on 11 April 2002.... Does FCC's right hand know what the left hand is doing?????

ARDLA CEMETERY - CLEAN UP
    It was proposed by Councillor C. Boland and Seconded by Councillor D OConnor.
    "That this Committee calls on the Manager to put in place measures to deter travellers from establishing temporary halting sites adjacent to Ardla Cemetery, in so doing the Committee recognises the unacceptable degree of litter, spoil and abandoned cars which have become a feature of a once scenic area and a location where residents of the town of Skerries seek comfort from an unpleasant world where they bury their dead and requests that an appropriate clean up of the general area now be undertaken."
    The following report which had been circulated was READ:-
    "A clean up of the car park area adjacent to Ardla Cemetery, Skerries was undertaken very recently by Litter Management Unit personnel, when travellers were moved from this area by the Council's Housing Division. A bank of clay has been placed at this location by the Environment Division, which will prevent any further illegal occupation of this land in the future.
    A further clean up of a portion of land situated opposite the entrance to Ardla Cemetery is planned and will be carried out this week."
    Following discussion, the report was NOTED.

Old news. Closed unless there's something new on this topic. In which case - pm me. HB

Oops. Spoke too soon.
    Site was cleared yesterday or this morning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Oops. Spoke too soon.
    Site was cleared yesterday or this morning.
    Yes - I drove past it today - diggers are on site, and it looks as if the site is being readied for construction

Message just received from the Hills Residents Association:

"Fingal Independent are coming out to Ardla Graveyard Traveller Site tomorrow to do a story at 3.30pm. Could we have as much public support as possible."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It's nearly all finished now, go up and have a look

hogey143 wrote: »
    It's nearly all finished now

I hope not - a lot of the building work is complete, but there is still a great deal to do before they start any fitting out. It actually looks a bit of a mess at present, with metal railings (presumably to be removed) around the site. They also took down a lot of the trees and shrubbery between the development and burial ground. I presume they will need to do a lot of landscaping to recreate a natural barrier between the two.

Advertisement