Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Lotto Syndicate Via Paypal ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Now I know that Delly has left himself open to abuse, but I will remind you all that it is a bannable offence. :)
    Do you have to be over 18 to join this syndicate?

If we were to win and I was'nt over 18 could i collect?
    Yes and no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I got 5 numbers once, winning me about €1020. The one I was missing was not the last one to be drawn, so it wasn't too bad on the nerves. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

According to Aertel 15,475 lucky punters who got three numbers each get €9,080 :D

Boy are they going to be disappointed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Collie D wrote:
    According to Aertel 15,475 lucky punters who got three numbers each get €9,080 :D

i got 3 numbers and threw out my ticket lol please tell me thats a mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

that was a mistake, you need 3 plus bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

that was a mistake, you need 3 plus bonus

LOL, so close. Could be worse, you might have got four and won fifty quid rather than nine grand for one number less

Take any win you get, even just 3 numbers. Even just a scratch card is something, and it could lead to more, no matter what the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Bah! just a miserable scratchie for me.. 34, 44, and 45 came up again tonight - surely they won't come out 3 draws in a row.. watch those odds dropping lol...

I won nothing tonight either. Ah well, I'll survive. I'll try again on Saturday too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Flukey wrote:
    I won nothing tonight either. Ah well, I'll survive. I'll try again on Saturday too. :)

Nah, if you were to live up to your name you'd have bought your first ever ticket tonight at 7.55pm on a whim and then won the whole lot outright...... People would have been incredulous....They'd have been standing about on street corners and muttering in disbelief - "that fella is something else, lets call him.....we should call him,,,,,I dunno but it begins with F....."

Sorry - that was the Staropramen speaking, am delighted, no jackpot winner tonight and to be concise, we've been presented with a second chance at the biggest ever Lottery Jackpot on this Island. This opportunity is there for the taking & I'm looking forward to giving it my best try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Id like to remind people to show their support for a Syndicate forum here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125875

My main concern now is to build our numbers to the required Syndicate strenght [final figure is yet to be decided] - We need to recruit for another bit and then, when we are established properly, call a meeting to define exactly how we intend to do this thing.

Folks, heres the Syndicate sig. code - could ye please update your own sigs to take advantage of the free advertising ? If you have 500 posts on the Boards then thats like an instant 500 little mini-ads that all point towards the source :p

NB I have to mess up the code or else it will just appear as a linked image - please replace the @ symbol after you paste it in in User CP > Edit Signature
    [@URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124848"]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/raiser2007/untitled2zx0.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

[php]untitled2zx0.jpg[/php]

I think everything should be decided on now. Most people will just want to walk into the syndicate with everything worked out and nothing for them to actually decide. People will loose interest. We need the forum really to do it properly

Right, and this is subject to time constraints, heres the draft plan to date [open to all criticisms, suggestions and improvements]

- I want to have a test-run, pilot, prototype lash at this.........One draw only and with a minimal investment of cash......Things are obviously still a bit rough but I'm willing to throw a few quid at it.....Read on......

Whos going to administrate the Paypal a/c, buy the tickets?

I'm happy to put my trust in whoever is the longest standing, best known person of established good character to indicate that they have an interest in participating on this thread. I propose that a neutral second person who happens to live reasonably close to the ticket holder is asked to meet with them in order to complete all transactions, bear witness and assist - the two individuals record the tickets details/numbers selected and both split, each taking 50% of the tickets home to a secure location. A third person could perhaps be made aware of both residential addresses, verified via a call to a land line cross referenced via the phone book or something ? Is this bit going too far, or is it justifiable security measure :confused:

How much ?

Lotto €3 + Lotto Plus €1 + Paypal Commission €.25 [round up €.14] = Total €4.25

How do I know our numbers and can be assured that a winning ticket hasn't been removed and stashed ?

Ticket purchasers will take a high res. snap of all tickets laid out on some flat surface & host them somewhere accessible. If our numbers are up we'll know soon enough - the only way these people in a position of trust can misbehave involves serious fraud charges and the threat of brandished pitchforks from lots of Interweb nerd type people.

Legal Issues?

Underage players, cynical/malicious abuses etc. etc. etc....... Signed hard copies are not viable obviously {*Edit - I only meant for Sat. night, may be used eventually}, As far as I know there are precedents here for prosecutions, litigation, libel/slander proceedings etc. on the basis of material posted online. Further to this I believe that electronic signatures are legally binding in certain circumstances.

I propose a statement using your real name and perhaps a PPS[RSI] number [Verifiable by the public, ie. us ?]

I John Smith PPS# 4483959 M am at least 18 years of age and agree to contribute €4.25 to this venture. I hereby agree to enter into this venture in good faith and to partake in it in the spirit in which it has been established. I recognise that I have absolutely no entitlement to a share in any future draws that I have not contributed towards......etc etc. etc.

* Needs somebody with a legal background and some time spent obviously

I'm just going to post this and wait for some feedback, please suggest whatever improvements are required and remind me of all oversights, omissions and errors.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Regarding this weekends draw, if you do plan on doing it at short motice, I would suggest credit card only paypal payments so that you can tell that everyone involved is over 18.
    I'm sure you could implement something better over time.

I dont think posting PPS numbers etc. is such a good idea. Can it not be stated that if you are found to be under 18 you loose the money you have put in and have no entitlement to any winnings and from then on assume that everybody is over 18 as they have access to paypal and credit card. With a small bit of research anyway it would probably be fairly easy to discover if somebody was over 18 or not e.g. I have been creating posts on the UL forum for over 3 years now therefore its very unlikely im still under 18 :D

There is also no point in going to the effort of writing something up if it isnt reviewed by a lawyer and who's going to pay for that? Who would keep the hard copies? What happens if they stop being involved with the syndicate or something else happens? Hard copies would also mean it would take a long time to sign up new members by the time they have gotten it signed it and returned it. Also alot of people wont go to that effort to join and the whole point of this syndicate is that it would have large numbers (for the record I like the idea of the 75 players max mentioned above, its not too large and that is 19 physical tickets to check per draw which isnt too bad with a scanner)

People should just have to state they are over 18 on a "members list" thread and forward a paypal payment to whoever is in charge for that month by whatever deadline is put in place for that month.

There are plenty of informal syndicates all over the country and they work fine 99.999% of the time (and the odds are not nearly as much in our favour for actually winning the jackpot!!) and as long as there are clearly stated rules/disclaimers in a sticky that is all that should have to be done (that should cover us aswell)

This would be fairly the most straight forward and I dont see too much of a downside. Simplicity is what is needed for this because logistics will be hard enough without involving contracts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

hey. ye it all sounds good so far, ive havent noticed any loopholes or anything.

My major concern is the logistics behind it, i now i suggested the number 75 for the amount of people because its not very hard to mannage but someone will need to keep track of everyone on a excel sheet, how much they paid and when ECT.

Also i was planning on paying a large enough fee, probbely annual or stleast 6 months straight off so i dont have to remember to throw money each week. Actually you know the way lotto tickets have a thing that lets you tick the box to make that ticket valid for 2, 4 or 8 draws? 8 draws is a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We could cross that bridge when we come to it, User45701.

Raiser wants to prototype the process for tomorrow (one draw, 2 lines per person). If it works well, then we can decide the logistics for a multi-draw format.

Also i was planning on paying a large enough fee, probbely annual or stleast 6 months straight off so i dont have to remember to throw money each week. Actually you know the way lotto tickets have a thing that lets you tick the box to make that ticket valid for 2, 4 or 8 draws? 8 draws is a month.

I think that the idea would be that it would be a monthly thing and the syndicate disbands every month. So it would be once a month you would have to pay (which wouldnt be too bad - the regulars could be given a group PM to remind them to pay by a certain date for that month that would be a simple matter of only copy+paste a regulars list into the "To:" field of the PM screen). I think it would be a bad idea to start taking payments for different time periods off different people because the running of it will probably pass between a few different people over time and again the logistics:D

If it follows that format there would be much need for excel as you would sign up for that months syndicate by sending the money to the person responsible and put your name on the thread for that month. Once 75 posts are in the thread the thread could be locked for that month and thats your member list for that months syndicate.

What do ye think of that idea?

TmB wrote:
    Raiser wants to prototype the process for tomorrow (one draw, 2 lines per person). If it works well, then we can decide the logistics for a multi-draw format.

Cheers TmB, well thats essentially it, unfortunately the clock is ticking loudly and we need to get things done......

Plan is to give this a little test run with a minimal investment - usually its easier to assure people/get them on board when you have already done these things and can point to an established success - all we would have to do then is increase the scale here and there.

I'm more than willing to keep at this until approx. 7.00pm tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sorry, but someone had to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

I'd be up for joining the syndicate and paying into the trial run.

Am I the only one expecting the 'trial' run tomorrow to net the jackpot in a twist of irony?

Im up for the trial run too. Who is doing the collection are you Raiser?

I know that basically means some guy on the net started a thread saying give me some money, im honest I swear and I gave them money but im willing to risk €4 on you:D

• Advertisement

I don't want to have any position of responsibilty on this - would sow too many seeds re. possible scam carry-on etc :(

- Could ye please nominate somebody as the Paypal guy & somebody else [nearby to them] as the witness type person ?

Theres fcuk all risk here, its €4.25 after all - I'm sure ye can step up and throw the dice.......... I wouldn't like to have missed out if our ship comes in :D

Raiser wrote:
    I don't want to have any position of responsibilty on this - would sow too many seeds re. possible scam carry-on etc :(

- Could ye please nominate somebody as the Paypal guy & somebody else [nearby to them] as the witness type person ?

Theres fcuk all risk here, its €4.25 after all - I'm sure ye can step up and throw the dice.......... I wouldn't like to have missed out if our ship comes in :D

That knocks me out of the running so since im Limerick based and more than likely ye are all Dublin based. So 2 Dublin people step up to the mark your internet forum needs you :D

cooperguy wrote:
    That knocks me out of the running so since im Limerick based and more than likely ye are all Dublin based. So 2 Dublin people step up to the mark your internet forum needs you :D

Well, I wanted things to take a natural course but fcuk it - I am beyond caring at this point.

How about yourself Cooperguy and TmB seeing as his profile mentions a Castleconnell address ???

P.S. TmB seems to be a good choice as he seems to have joined Boards.ie 10 mins after its conception and seeing as he has 99,000 posts clocked up I reckon he has footprints here.... Cooperguy I nominate you 'cause you're obviously committed to the cause and since you have that Ninja Assassin background.

Yeah sure, why not?

I've set up a gmail account for this (which I'll disclose in the morning) and I will set up a paypal account too.

Raiser - where did you get the €0.25 for the Paypal fee? We should use a personal account, which means paypal to paypal transfers only (so you must have a paypal account), and we can withdraw for Free for €100.00 EUR or more, €1.00 EUR for €99.99 EUR or less to bank accounts in Ireland.

I can't see where the €0.25 extra comes in... we need to get the exact amount.

Don't think I'll be able to do it now, sorry. I'll be away from my PC for the afternoon (which will make it difficult to coordinate this). Sorry....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I'd b up for the trial run to see how it goes.

So what do we do next? Were do i sign up?

I've sent Raiser and Cooperguy a PM with how I think this should go down. If they agree, we'll post more instructions here in a while...

Are ordinary Irish users able to fund paypal directly from bank accounts these days?

I thought most - if not all - Irish users had to fund via credit card, which imposes the extra charges (which I think would work out at €0.48 for these payments)? :confused:

Raiser and Cooperguy are nowhere to be seen, so I don't think this is going to happen today.

I do think its workable though, so we'll try for something before Wednesday.

TmB wrote:
    Yeah sure, why not?

I've set up a gmail account for this (which I'll disclose in the morning) and I will set up a paypal account too.

Raiser - where did you get the €0.25 for the Paypal fee? We should use a personal account, which means paypal to paypal transfers only (so you must have a paypal account), and we can withdraw for Free for €100.00 EUR or more, €1.00 EUR for €99.99 EUR or less to bank accounts in Ireland.

I can't see where the €0.25 extra comes in... we need to get the exact amount.

The €4.25 came from [? ? ? ? ?] - I thought someone said it was a straight 3.5% commission.......My mistake. It seems that its actually as below as quoted on the PayPal site:

Accept credit or debit card funded payments

5.4% plus €0.35 EUR. No transaction limit for payments sent via Skype, otherwise there is a limit of 5 transactions per year

5.4% plus €0.35 EUR for card payments received using PayPal on Skype

This brings our €4.00 up to €4.50 which should be fine.

TmB's instruction is to ask all those interested to mail boardslottoATSYMBOLgmail.com

Also for clarity, could you please put your name here in the Subject Line - eg. Boards Nick: Raiser.

There has to be a cutoff time [Please Note: Late mails are not going to be considered] to allow for admin/processing req.s etc. and this has been set at 4.45pm * Edit had to be brought forward - sorry

You'll then receive a mail back with the further instructions.

-Thanks for the continued support and input all - The final thing I want to mention is a quote:

Let your hook always be cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.
    - Ovid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i sent you a mail but because i cant follow simple instructions my nick was in the main body not the subject hope its not a prob

Got it, PeakOutput...

We're going for tonights draw.
    As Raiser said, any emails received after 4:45 will be ignored.

OK, due to time committments, we have to set the cut off time for this evenings syndicate to 4:45pm.

I am about to send payment instructions to those who have emailed already.
    Get in before 4:45pm, or you will not be included in this run.

Cut-off passed.
    We'll give more notice for Wednesdays draw.

Missed this by 30 mins! :(

I'll keep an eye out for Wednesday's.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads was in work today wasnt on boards but ill help you out next week. Is there any way of speeding up the forum, request process? It would make organizing so much easier (Show your support for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125875 )

Oh and its not a ninja assasan its Claire from Heroes!!

Well just sent a mail from our mailbox to all those take took part, contains a link to a photo of all numbers for tonights draw.

- Sorry for the rush at the end, circumstances & personal commitments made this tricky and brought the deadline forward I'm afraid.

I'll let ye know if we win anything :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

how much would it cost to join this syndicate anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

Ah crap wish i knew about this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

cooperguy wrote:
    Sorry lads was in work today wasnt on boards but ill help you out next week. Is there any way of speeding up the forum, request process? It would make organizing so much easier (Show your support for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125875 )

Oh and its not a ninja assasan its Claire from Heroes!!

The admins always take their time in doing this. There could be legal difficulties if something went wrong, I still reckon it's probably best private with those who have agreed to certain terms allowed into the forum.

I dont like the whole private forum idea it makes it harder to get members. Surely a simple disclaimer at the top of the page would cover boards.ie? It could be put at the top of the thread looking for members to sign up aswell.

And as for how much it costs to join I think it the minimum amount to play (€4) plus the paypay fees and stuff which is between 20c and 50c I forget what it is exactly. The collection will be once a month once it gets off the ground. Im not sure if the number of draws we'd enter per month has been decided yet.

Jakkass wrote:
    how much would it cost to join this syndicate anyway?

Check the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Worker Managed Enterprise
    Anarchists, syndicalists and other libertarian socialists use the word "syndicate" to refer to an enterprise democratically managed by its workers. Such an enterprises is governed by a face-to-face meeting of everyone who works there, in which each worker has one vote. Either there are no managers, or the managers are democratically elected and recallable. In either case, the most important decisions are made collectively by the whole workforce. This is known as workers' self-management.

There no charge - if you [or anyone] were to join you'd be doing us a favour, we are actively recruiting and glad of all support. We are currently building numbers because as opposed to being a no-hope lone punter who is just hoping against hope for the €16,000,000 win - we want to have a load of chances at winning the jackpot & netting each member a [?] €200,000-400,000+ win.

- Thats not even considering the match 5's etc. which, with our numbers should pass a fair bit of cash back in the right direction as we wait to win big :)

I hope that the [understandable] waryness of scams, profiteering, mad-cap lunacy [or whatever] will in time evaporate once the numbers grow and people witness cash being paid back to the contributors...... Hopefully then we'll have more credibility and not be seen as a risky PayPal scheme etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paddy1301

Hi Raiser, just wondering how signing up members for your syndicate is going. How many lines do you do, and how many members are there in the syndicate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

is this still goin, due to inactivity i guess a) there all laid up on a beach in the caribbean! b) its run out of steam.
    i would be interested if this was still goin tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Only seeing this now - might also be interested pending more details, if it's still going.

Advertisement