Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 23-07-2007 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all,
    Thinking of starting with biking, and thought that I should ask the experts in the first instance.
    Can anyone give me some pointers on make model - nothing for big commute, just some fun. Something reliable (and cheap )

Comments

Look these up:
    Honda Varadero
    Yamaha Dragstar 125/250
    Suzuki Intruder 125, avoid the Marauder.

Go into a few local bikeshops and have a look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

wildeanwit wrote:
    Hi all,
    Thinking of starting with biking, and thought that I should ask the experts in the first instance.
    Can anyone give me some pointers on make model - nothing for big commute, just some fun. Something reliable (and cheap )

With that spec, I would suggest nothing other than a Suzuki SV 650.

* cough *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wildeanwit

thanks lads!
    Is there a bottom line with regard to how little I should spend/old age of the bike? Or is mileage what you would check out first?
    I was thinking 250 cc max (good try nereid :D )

Look these up:
    Honda Varadero
    Yamaha Dragstar 125/250
    Suzuki Intruder 125, avoid the Marauder.

Go into a few local bikeshops and have a look around.

Re the Honda.
    125 ok or should i go 250 - it looks kinda big/heavy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Skip the 125 and get a 250 IMO. You'll be glad of it come test time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

In my opinion, Honda CBR 250 mc22. It's the only way to go, if you want a bike that's fast, which your covered on by your prov licence. It's extremely quick and fun to ride.

dhev wrote:
    In my opinion, Honda CBR 250 mc22. It's the only way to go, if you want a bike that's fast, which your covered on by your prov licence. It's extremely quick and fun to ride.

Checked out this and a 1997 will set me back the guts of 4 grand!!!

As its my first Bike, I wanted to test the water somewhat first.

Anyone any feedback on a PANTHEON 250???

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

wildeanwit wrote:
    thanks lads!
    Is there a bottom line with regard to how little I should spend/old age of the bike? Or is mileage what you would check out first?
    I was thinking 250 cc max (good try nereid :D )

I ride a 2005 Yamaha YBR125 and its great fun. Its allowed me to learn all there is to know about riding bikes!! AND...surprisingly...it will be for sale very soon once I get my new 650cc/700cc.

If your not in too much of a rush you can get in contact with me. It will be on sale for 2000 euro, there are about 550 euro's worth of extras. So far I have installed an alarm, Daytona Heated Grips, front Givi Screen, Givi Topbox, Metal motorbike clock, new chain and sprockets, new rear tyre fitted about 2,000km ago. The milage is 20,500 km at the moment and was serviced two weeks ago and running like a gem.

The only trouble I have with this bike is that its not fast enough!! :) It goes to 100km/hr no problem but now that I have a full licence I want something that will go to 120km/hr so I can get on the motorway!! :)

Its a tough bike, good engine and very cheap to run. I tested that this week and it costs 10 euro to run the bike for 350 km..so thats about 10 euro per week on a journey from Navan to Dublin!!

PM me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 electricheadx

I'm a bit of a fan of the CBR250RR's. Crackin bike :D ....... You should be able to get something in good enough condition for 1500-2000.

Get someone who know bikes to go with you........ Could save you a lot of headache in the future.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I started on a CDR 250R MC19, it's a 91 but a cracking bike, you'd get one for about 2000 now. my first insurance was was 1350, with 0 NCB on a provisional.
    It was a little big at first but you'll quickly get used to the size. High revs on it so you can really make the bike scream. still on it after 3 years and only thinking now of trading up now. so it will last you for a few years.

Noelie wrote:
    I started on a CDR 250R MC19, it's a 91 but a cracking bike, you'd get one for about 2000 now. my first insurance was was 1350, with 0 NCB on a provisional.
    It was a little big at first but you'll quickly get used to the size. High revs on it so you can really make the bike scream. still on it after 3 years and only thinking now of trading up now. so it will last you for a few years.

Yea its a hoot listening to the engine scream. Loads of pulling power from 8k up......
    Damm reliable too....
    Have a look on
    http://www.cbr250.com for more info.

and for the love of god don't pay 4000 for one....... Sounds like its from a dealer..... Go private......You will need that cash for a good lid and gear to wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Damm reliable too....
    only if the bike doesn't go up in flames when your sitting on it.

Noelie wrote:
    only if the bike doesn't go up in flames when your sitting on it.

:D Doubtfull........
    Engine in 'em is pretty tough...... Touch wood!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

I'm helpin a mate at moment lookin for an MC22 CBR250. There is some sh*te out there, but they range from 1,500 to about 4,000. I found an immaculate 98 one for 3000 yo yo's. 9000 klms. No cracked fairings. So they are out there. Just don't give up. And to get a good price you'll have to buy private.

To be fair though that chances that bikes that old only have "9000" on the clocks id abit of a stretch.... But yea there are one's out there that are really well taken care of...... Like mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

I'm considering getting a bike for the commute to work if I end up changing jobs and have to work off the M50(i'd be nuts to bring a car on that motorway!)

so here's the newbie question....
    A person applying for a first time provisional licence in category A shall be restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all provisional licences and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A. Only thereafter shall such person be entitled to drive motorcycles with an engine power output exceeding 25kW.

How do you know what the power output of a 125cc engine is? is it a general rule of thumb it's in and around a certain ratio? Give or take a few?

Is it the case with the 250 etc.... too?

I'm trying to figure out what type of engine size i'd be restricted to when I get my provisional after the theory test next week.

Chunks wrote:
    I'm considering getting a bike for the commute to work if I end up changing jobs and have to work off the M50(i'd be nuts to bring a car on that motorway!)

so here's the newbie question....

How do you know what the power output of a 125cc engine is? is it a general rule of thumb it's in and around a certain ratio? Give or take a few?

Is it the case with the 250 etc.... too?

I'm trying to figure out what type of engine size i'd be restricted to when I get my provisional after the theory test next week.

Divide the power(in KW) by the bikes weight. If its 0.16 or less you can drive it with a provisional A licence.
    You can get the power outputs from the manufacturer's websites or their brochures which you can pick up in most bikeshops.

Thanks Nialler, very good of you.

/edit

so a CBR250 is out of reach cos it works out as

power 34KW / weight 153kg = 0.22 :(

One thing to consider is there seems to be a bit of confusion over which weight you use. Manufacturers usually provide the bikes dry weight. I'm not sure if you can add petrol and oil etc. when you work out the power/weight ratio. Perhaps someone else on here can shed some light on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 madthing

Hey! I have a Hyosung 125cc for sale if thats what your into. Its four stroke so the insurance is not too high. I must say I havent had a days trouble with it! Id put 9 euro in it and it goes solid for a week and a half! :) Im looking to get my A licence so I upgrading to a higher cc bike. Ive left some pic's of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chunks wrote:

All 125s should have the power output stamped onto a plate near the headstock (front part of the frame.)
    On an A1 licence you are restricted to 125cc and 11kW. Basically any 125 you buy now will meet that limit, but you should be looking at a 250 if you can. For a 250 you'll need a Class A licence, and the 25kW -OR- 0.16kW/kg limit applies.
    That's just it, you're not restricted to a size, it's to a power, and every model of bike is different. Anyone who tells you that a restricted licence limits you to 250 / 350 / 400 / or whatever is talking poo.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Thanks Nialler, very good of you.

/edit

so a CBR250 is out of reach cos it works out as

power 34KW / weight 153kg = 0.22

Get it restricted. If it's an RR you'll only lose about 7bhp.

And a note for the those looking for cbr 250s, they stopped making them in 96, so even if the plate says 98 or whatever it's going to be a few years older.

Sputnik wrote:
    Get it restricted. If it's an RR you'll only lose about 7bhp.

And a note for the those looking for cbr 250s, they stopped making them in 96, so even if the plate says 98 or whatever it's going to be a few years older.

what would be a more modern equivalent you'd suggest Sputnik?

Advertisement