Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a mobile phone in toronto

• 23-07-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

I am visiting toronto and would like to buy a mobile phone to bring back to ireland as they are cheaper here. I am currently on vodaphone prepay, nokia 6234. What do i need to look out for so that my sim card would work in ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

If your vodafone prepay works over there try the sim from your 6234 in the phone you want to buy (it needs to be sim free) and if it works there it will work back in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

My vodafone prepay is not working over here. Cannot get it unlocked.
    Any other feedback about buying a mobile over here and bringing it back to ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can buy a phone anywhere, provided that the mobile is able to work over in Ireland. How do you find this out? Well apparently our network masts operate at different signal/frequency to other countries. While it seems some phones support several frequencys - you gotta be sure whats your buying will work over here. Commander Vimes seems to know a bit about that, as I dont know what our network masts operate at over here.

As regards to using an Irish nokia over in Canda, similar situation: You need to be sure the phone can operate at their masts frequency which is 1900 MHz. If your phone can, then to place another networks sim card the phone needs to be "unblocked". Iv posted about that here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53641289&postcount=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Thought they done use GSM networking in Canada unless it is the Rogers network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well if you have access to the web than check the Nokia, Sony Ericsson etc websites for the specs of any models that seems interesting, you need one with 900Mhz and 1800Mhz for Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Directly from Rogers:-

Rogers uses GSM technology. GSM networks in North America operate at
    850/1900MHz. Internationally (outside of North America) 900/1800MHz are
    used. It is not possible for GSM phones to roam onto analog and TDMA
    networks. GSM roams on other GSM network.

Advertisement