Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Keyed ! Argh ! - Well screwdrivered.

Options
  • 23-07-2007 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

So came home after a crap holiday and have other problems going on.

Parked my car up, parents were staying in my place so took another spot in the shared parking.

Went to bed that night and came out the next day at about 4pm, massive scratch on the side right from the ass to the front of the car, across the doors and wing right down to the metal. It was definetly done with a screwdriver as its too straight and uniform to have been done with a key, i mean someone really took their time doing it making sure to get down to the metal.

So, moved the car into one of the other spaces and went out to lunch *didnt want to tempt fate* incase i had pissed someone off.

Came back and they had done the other side !! There was a car parked in a space i was just in and i realised this person always seems to park in that space, its not even an official space ! Also there was a screwdriver on the floor on the passenger side, a flat head type - circuit tester. Its definetly a girls car, playboy bunny seats and stuff, real bucket of crap too, the damage done to mine is worth more than hers !

Anyways, what i've done so far

- Contacted the management company and made them aware of it.

- Sent out letters to everyone in the apartments and houses (its a shared unsecured parking facility for the houses and apartments, i've offered 150 euro to anyone that can identify the person and make a statement to the gardai

- Went and made a statement to the gardai, the garda inspected the damage and said to contact him with any updates, also gave him the reg of the car with the screwdriver set in it.

I know the gardai can do nothing without someone saying they SAW the person do it, if they do they can arrest them straight away for criminal damage.

Any think theres anything else i could do ? If anything i do not want it to happen again to me or anyone else in the apartments or houses !

Theres no CCTV there either.. Doh !

Cheers for the feedback !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Could the gardai not ask the car owner to have a look at the screwdriver and inspect the head for paint? If there is any, they could get a confession from the car owner.

If you get your car fixed through an official dealer it is not going to be cheap. I would try to get whoever is responsible charged with criminal damage.

Or else park back in the space again and keep watch with a camera or video camera.

Don't rest untill you have this sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The suggestion about setting the person up seems good.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It appears to have been done with a screwdriver on one side ... the other doesnt seem as pronounced and may have been done with a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd imagine that if they were caught doing one bit of damage, they'd more than likely be seen as having done all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Scum like this make my blood boil :mad:

Like they said in Pulp Fiction:
    Lance: Still got your Malibu?
    Vincent: Aw, man. You know what some f**ker did the other day?
    Lance: What?
    Vincent: F**king keyed it.
    Lance: Oh, man, that's f**ked up.
    Vincent: Tell me about it. I had it in storage for three years, it was out for five days and some dickless piece of sh1t ****ed with it.
    Lance: They should be f**king killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
    Vincent: Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it.
    Lance: What a f**ker!
    Vincent: What's more chickensh1t than f**king with a man's automobile? I mean, don't f**k with another man's vehicle.
    Lance: You don't do it.
    Vincent: It's just against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If I caught them on tape doing it I would torch their car and send a copy of the tape to themselves the day after they found their own car in ashes :D . No need for the law in such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SethInStone

I doubt the person would do it again. I'm sure they would have gotten a bit of a fright from the letters you sent around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As has been suggested before, the gardai should have broken into the car and inspected the screwdriver.
    I'm not talking CSI style forensics but I'm sure they could match the screwdriver to the OP's paint colour with ease.

She was obviously careless to leave it there so it mightn't have been cleaned.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I sincerely doubt that gardai can break into a car to look at the end of a screwdriver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Surely though they'd have the power to look up its owner via reg number and then at the very least request that they let them look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think the Gardai would view this incident as being way down on their priority list, even though it's going to cost you a couple of hundred euro to get it fixed.
    It's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Very sorry to hear about the incident. Unfortunately, a previous poster is correct, these incidents are never rated highly on Garda priorities.

I suppose you could park it there again and lie in wait for the offender to attempt another scrape, but your letter may have scared him/her/them off.

As for the screwdriver in the girly car, that seems more than coincidence to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Well you could approach her and tell her three people have identified her as the one who damaged your car and see how she reacts. Wouldnt do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

rowanh wrote:
    Well you could approach her and tell her three people have identified her as the one who damaged your car and see how she reacts. Wouldnt do any harm.

So long as she doesn't have her screwdriver. :eek:

I can't say what else I think you should do - I'd be barred!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saff cosworth

hi all ... this could backfire on you if you confronted her with a witness or two,reason being, what if she did not do it, she'd have you up on "deformation of character " charges. that you don't want..
    if you did make a tape and then burn out her car and then send the tape, she'd have you there as well, wouldn't your reg be on your car,and wouldn't you think the garda would come to you first..
    sit back a see if anything comes up from the letters you sent out. haunt the garda for info..

Advertisement