Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All,

wondered if anyone could help me.

Im moving to a house in a remote area where the switch the house is connected to is not BB enabled and from what i have heard probably never will be.

I don't know much about types of BB offered but i was wondering what my options are in such a situation.

There is a company called Amocom in the area however their signal doesn't cover where i am moving to.

Are there satellite broadband providers who operate nationwide and provide a larger signal range or am i snookered?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

Should give you a list of whats available.
    Sat broadband is available anywhere but its VERY expensive for 2 way and its also very slow, with the exception of actual downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Saruman wrote:

That site is about as reliable as a tinfoil hat. Local wireless providers as would be useful in this case are rarely ever on it, all I have ever seen is the bigger companys. What area are you in or whats your closest town? Sat broadband should be avoided like the plague. Other options like 3G should be exhausted before going down the sat road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CFM

Saruman wrote:

Sat broadband is available anywhere but its VERY expensive for 2 way and its also very slow, with the exception of actual downloads.

Thanks for your help, nothing available in my area unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CFM

That site is about as reliable as a tinfoil hat. Local wireless providers as would be useful in this case are rarely ever on it, all I have ever seen is the bigger companys. What area are you in or whats your closest town? Sat broadband should be avoided like the plague. Other options like 3G should be exhausted before going down the sat road.

Im in the Ballyhoura mountains area North Cork/Limerick border, nearest town is Doneraile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Check out Digiweb, there Wireless might be able to get to yuou if you have line of site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

What about one of the 3G options? They work off the mobile network so if you've got mobile coverage you've got broadband. Plus their extremely portable.

I've got the 3 modem one which seems to be the cheapest available. I know some people give out about it but I've no complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Electric wrote:
    What about one of the 3G options? They work off the mobile network so if you've got mobile coverage you've got broadband. Plus their extremely portable.

I've got the 3 modem one which seems to be the cheapest available. I know some people give out about it but I've no complaints!

I am not sure about this, I have o2 mobile coverage but no o2 broadband or for that matter anything ..

SO assuming you have mobile coverage will give you the option for BB wont work !

3g and 02 cant speak for vodaphone have a 14 day return if no coverage policy.. so you can try them both for free..

Advertisement