Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia 8800GTS

Options
  • 23-07-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Is this gfx card any use? ATM im running a 4000+ with a gig of ram and sata 10,000 rpm and a 6800 GS pci-x (its utter w4nk.)

I play alot of counter-strike source and im going to play tfc2 when it comes out. Im starting to get really frustrated with the performance of my card with FPS based games. I really dont care about eye candy, its all game play for me. Im running alot of the maps in css at about 20 fps, which is fking ludacris and unacceptable.

I was looking at the nVidia 8800GTS XT 320mb PCI-X. Its within my price range (im gonna say 300 quid max). Do you rekon that card would give me a minimum of a consistant 100fps?

Im not a fan of ATi cards, never have been. My previous experience with them has been terrible, but im willing to change over if there is a good enough card that will give me more fps for my money.

Again, im not after eye candy, im after performance.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've got the 8800gts and I do care about eye candy, I don't know about 100fps but I can play any game at 1600*1200 or higher with graphic quality on high with no slow down at all, never experienced any slow down, I highly recommend this card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

if you have counter strike source, load it up and bring up console then type cl_showfps 1

Then head to a public server and go in eyes.. Alot of the time people dont care how a game plays once the FPS is around the 50 mark.. That can cripple a serious game as your rate of fire is slowed down and on a one on one spray fight the higher rate of fire has a better chance of winning.

I play with my monitor on 100hz locked with refresh lock in 1024, so i have to match that to avoid tearing with v-sync off. So if it can handle css at 100 fps constant ill get one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Are you sure its PCI-x you have and not PCI-E? PCI -X is quite old.

old habbits die hard! PCi-express :]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

CSS fps seem to drop and rise for me, nothing really steady!

Average is atleast 100 and over but sometimes it will drop down to the 80's 70'sand thats with a GTX

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

what res are you playing in? is v-sync on or off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

if the boards pci x , you can cut out the end stopper , the card wont miss those few extra lanes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

In CS mostly get over 100 fps, drops down to 70 or 80 sometimes outdoors, but for the most part it's well over 100 fps, thats at 1600*1200

rekon in 1024 with v-sync off and all the eye candy off i should hold 100fps then?

Grrraaaannnd, ill order one of those then ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

1280 x 1024, DODs @ 125 to 135 fps average, does drop 60 fps sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

defo something wrong if you're hitting 20fps on any 6800 card, unless you're trying to run an insane rate with all high options, but even at that I used to run source at high at 1280x1024 with an x800, similar to the 6800, 40-100fps depending on circumstance but always playable.

oh and i have an 8800gts, playing day of defeat its running at 1680x1050, everything on with full aa and af, easily playable, varying from 40-100fps, but unless you're some kind of mega pro it won't make much difference to your mad skillz

Advertisement