Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights in a Hedgerow

Options
  • 23-07-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Please fell free to move if this isnt in the right forum, I saw the thread on Tree Spirits and apologise in advance.

Anyway.

One night myself and MrsPopebenny16 were walking home along a dark country lane here in Tipp. We both saw white lights moving around the base of a hedgerow. At first we thought it was the local nutter (since deceased) having a laugh with a torch. There was no sign of a human or animal presence though and at that point MrsPopebenny16 got the frights and walked off rather quickly. I stood and started for a bit then, for no reason, felt a real chill in my spine so I legged it as well.

MrsPB16 wont talk about it, but she hinted that it was fairy related.

It was about 5 years or more ago, still wonder about it was hoping ye might have some clues. And, it wasnt any insects.... i drive walk and cycle past that spot day and night never saw it before or since.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Oh dear. Magic being discussed in Paranormal, and unexplained lights being discussed in Paganism.

A swap couldn't be effected, by any chance? Karmically neutral, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can shift this to there but not from there to here unfortunatly, but you could pm and ask the mods there to move.

As the op Decided to post here and not there one would assume they choose this forum delibratly.

any how thread copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Well, I said i chose here because of the earlier thread on Tree Spirits, I thought this might be related, sorry if I'm wrong, this isnt really my bag I'm afraid.

willo'wisp or certain types of fairies are said to cause such type lights.

Can you give a better description of what you saw ?

What time of year was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

If you are very familiar with the spot that you saw this; do you know what grows in that spot of hedgerow.
    Folklore and the like would like such events with the type of plants and trees growing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

had a similar experience last year,walking a lady friend home,20 mins outside the town and walkin up a dark country lane large orb or orange yellow light was floatin over graves in the graveyard,well,more hovering,anyhoo she was creeped out by this,havent seen it up close since,altho the odd night i walk a roda adjacent to it a small moving flicker can be seen.

Sorry for taking a while to come back on this. I asked herself what she could remember and at first said she couldn't remember then said she didn't want to talk about it!!!

Time of the year was summer.

What grows there: Whitethorn.

There used to be an old pub there which burned down about 20 years ago - no casualties or deaths or anything like that.

The lights were white and they were moving. They were dots, or balls, in other words it was not a mist or a cloud. They were very close to ground level, a matter of inches, but within the hedgerow. They appered to be very bright.

whitethorn, that might be your explanation more so than the pub. check out some good sites about the mystical associations of plants and see.
    havent read cunninghams book on magical plants n herbs in a while,might see if theres anythin in there for you

nerin wrote:
    whitethorn, that might be your explanation more so than the pub. check out some good sites about the mystical associations of plants and see.
    havent read cunninghams book on magical plants n herbs in a while,might see if theres anythin in there for you

Yes, well, the pub would explain either one of us but not both. I did a quick google search and nothing. Any sites you could recommend?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

simple search such as magical associations of whitethorn etc will bring up stuff.

- The Whitethorn or Hawthorn or May Witch takes its name from the May. It is a generally unlucky tree and its name, translated from the Irish Brehon Laws, had the meaning "harm". The Goddess, under the name Cardea, cast spells with the Hawthorn. In many cultures, the month of the Hawthorn (May) is a month of bad luck for marriages. The Hawthorn blossom, for many men, has the strong scent of female sexuality and was used by the Turks as an erotic symbol. The monks of Glastonbury perpetuated it and sanctified it with an approving tale that the staff of Joseph and the Crown of thorns were made of Hawthorn.
    OCCULT ASPECTS: Purification, enforced chastity, male potency, cleansing

Advertisement