Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb tales of woe

Options
  • 23-07-2007 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I'm living in Maynooth and I'm considering getting broadband next month. I want to avoid getting a landline and Digiweb's Metro option is appealing.

However, I've read some tales of woe on boards about their download cap.

If I'm downloading music and watching the occasional tv show how likely am I to reach it? Is there a better alternative?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends how much. Direct downloads use much less cap than torrents. You don't get charged extra and after a few days the ISDN speed throttle is taken off when you are below the cap again. It's a total always of the last 30 days, not a calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What about gaming online, how would that affect my usage? Half Life 2 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Most games don't use a whole lot of bandwidth. It tends to be P2P traffic such as BitTorrent which uses a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Irish Broadband are also in Maynooth and have no cap on their breeze wireless packages, they could be another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

Hi, I live in sandyford, and i have been using digiweb metro for 18 months or so, when they first installed it , it rarely worked, so i bounced the installation fee, which they agreed with, they came out fixed it, and absolutely no problems what so ever since.....would thoroughly recommend them, Irish company and great customer service...:)

• Advertisement

I heard Irish Broadband are very unreliable and have a poor signal and customer service. I think there was a big rant about them on this forum a while back.

Plus they are more expensive at €35.99 a month for a 2mb wireless package, while Digiweb have a €3mb connection for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm on IBB Breeze 2Mb with no limits in Maynooth and the service has been great since I moved into my house a few months ago.

The guys already had it before I moved in and I wouldn't have gotten it after the nightmare threads I'd seen on here.

We get 240KB/s down about 90% of the time and its find and usuable even in the evening.

I also play Xbox Live with it and have no problems and one of the guys is mad into torrents and we've not had many problems with it (we have had some, PM if you get the service and have issues with torrents because I fixed the problems for him).

I'm living just opposite the Maxol station so in this area it is a very good service.

---edit
    Just saw your download cap worries.

On the unlimited package, I've downloaded 4 or 5 demos off Xbox Live the first month I moved in which are about a gig each and the other guys have downloaded about 10 movies and a few series. Some music aswell. Also the 4 of us browse youtube and tv-links most evenings at least two of us do this. I've also downloaded Linux distro's and we've never had a problem with them.

The worst speeds I've ever had were 50KB/s which I got on a Sunday evening, think they were having problems of some sort. It was working the next day again.

It was the Ripwave, not Breeze that most of the IBB upset has been about. Different technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

I've been with digiweb on their 3mb wireless connection for nearly 2 years now and i can honestly say that i haven't had a problem in months (some initial ones but long gone now). great service, constant speeds.

The 30Gb limit on the 3 mb package is difficult to use entirely but during TV season (october to march) i've come a bit close (25gb/30 days).

That said that only happened when i was getting Lost, heroes, scrubs, nip tuck and a couple of others and then decided to download the current mame collection (madness i know)

Recommended.

And if I want to share the connection between my X Box 360 and the PC (one upstairs, one downstairs) it'd be easy enough to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

you just need an ethernet wireless router
    plug it into the thomson, set it to DHCP, restart the thomson and it works

make sure Ethernet WAN and not ADSL. Argos call them Cable Routers, though they are just routers. Argos, Komplett.ie elara dabs.ie etc.

What's a thomson?

Can you recommend an ethernet wireless router or will any do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

silvine wrote:
    What's a thomson?

Can you recommend an ethernet wireless router or will any do?

sorry, the Thomson is the modem digiweb give you

the linksys WRT54GS will work fine, one that i know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

mcloughj wrote:
    I've been with digiweb on their 3mb wireless connection for nearly 2 years now and i can honestly say that i haven't had a problem in months (some initial ones but long gone now). great service, constant speeds.

The 30Gb limit on the 3 mb package is difficult to use entirely but during TV season (october to march) i've come a bit close (25gb/30 days).

That said that only happened when i was getting Lost, heroes, scrubs, nip tuck and a couple of others and then decided to download the current mame collection (madness i know)

Recommended.

Just moved to dublin and currently planning on building a new pc and getting digiweb broadband. I'll be in the Dun Laoghaire area. What kind of download speeds are people getting from digiweb? Im a bit put off by wireless internet.

Advertisement