Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers taking a look at Lapira

• 23-07-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

whether we agree or not, he will receive abuse from certain fans on both sides...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/6912435.stm

US-based Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira is training with Rangers.

The 20-year-old striker, who plays for the Baton Rouge Capitals, was expected to have a trial with Aberdeen.

However, the Louisiana-born forward, who has an Irish mother, has won the chance to try and win a move to Ibrox.

Lapira was named 'college player of the year' in 2006, following in the footsteps of former Rangers midfielder Claudio Reyna.

He made his international debut in May, when a makeshift Republic of Ireland side drew with Ecuador in New York.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

whether we agree or not, he will receive abuse from certain fans on both sides...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/6912435.stm

US-based Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira is training with Rangers.

The 20-year-old striker, who plays for the Baton Rouge Capitals, was expected to have a trial with Aberdeen.

However, the Louisiana-born forward, who has an Irish mother, has won the chance to try and win a move to Ibrox.

Lapira was named 'college player of the year' in 2006, following in the footsteps of former Rangers midfielder Claudio Reyna.

He made his international debut in May, when a makeshift Republic of Ireland side drew with Ecuador in New York.

Yup, already been looking at fans sites from both sides and hes getting dogs abuse from certain factions.
    The strange factor for me is that the last four letters of his name seem to be the stumbling block for these morons.....i mean really, come one!

it wont just be rangers and celtic fans though, how will the ireland fans who booed lovendkrandz and suchlike react?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

oh yeah for sure he will be booed by irish fans as well.
    remember they booed peter madsden when they mistook him for peter lovenkrands - that shows you their level of intelligence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PR stunt by RFC?

Zebra3 wrote:
    PR stunt by RFC?

How possibly?
    Christ the club try to do something (bearing in mind they are only having a look at a largely unknown 20 year old) which would suggest to some that the dark days of "what school did you go to?" are in the past, and people call it a PR stunt?

If you want a PR stunt...how about celtic signing Keane? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good move if he's good enough to play for Rangers, much better for his Irish prospects to be playing this side of the pond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

oh yeah for sure he will be booed by irish fans as well.
    remember they booed peter madsden when they mistook him for peter lovenkrands - that shows you their level of intelligence!!

its true that was the idiocy of our fans on display i was at the match and was trying to convince some friends it wasnt Lovenrands, did make me laugh tho after Lovenkrands was subbed on how each touch madsen got was chered by my same mates and the other idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Eirebear wrote:
    How possibly?
    Christ the club try to do something (bearing in mind they are only having a look at a largely unknown 20 year old) which would suggest to some that the dark days of "what school did you go to?" are in the past, and people call it a PR stunt?

If you want a PR stunt...how about celtic signing Keane? ;)

I didn't call it a PR stunt, I posed the question whether it was or not. There is a difference.

And yes Celtic's signing of Keane was a PR stunt. One of their leading officials later admitted so at some conference in the UAE.

And no shortage of fools fell for it. ;)

Zebra3 wrote:
    I didn't call it a PR stunt, I posed the question whether it was or not. There is a difference.

And yes Celtic's signing of Keane was a PR stunt. One of their leading officials later admitted so at some conference in the UAE.

And no shortage of fools fell for it. ;)

sorry im having this argument somewhere else and its getting me a little riled.

its simple for me as a rangers fan...if hes good enough, then sing him, if hes not, then dont.

On the subject of celtic PR stunts theres only one who comes close to keane....his name was Dion Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

First of all, I can't see Rangers signing Lapira. I know you shouldn't judge a player on one performance, but I didn't see anything remotely special about him against Ecuador. I'd say he ranks at about 12th choice striker for Ireland at very best. Glasgow Rangers are a team playing Champions League football, they can do a lot better than that.

First of all, I can't see Rangers signing Lapira. I know you shouldn't judge a player on one performance, but I didn't see anything remotely special about him against Ecuador. I'd say he ranks at about 12th choice striker for Ireland at very best. Glasgow Rangers are a team playing Champions League football, they can do a lot better than that.

heh!
    Youve got more faith in Rangers signing policy than most Rangers fans!

The guys 20 years old, he won the 2006 "college player of the year" a title formerly held by Claudio Reyna, Alexei lalas and brad friedel.
    So theres obviously something there to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eirebear wrote:
    Yup, already been looking at fans sites from both sides and hes getting dogs abuse from certain factions.
    Celtic fans are desperate for him to join Rangers. :D

Anyway, I doubt very much he'll be signed. Celtic and Rangers take loads of players on trial and Lapira didn't impress the Ireland players in America apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Celtic fans are desperate for him to join Rangers. :D

Anyway, I doubt very much he'll be signed. Celtic and Rangers take loads of players on trial and Lapira didn't impress the Ireland players in America apparently.

And they a bundle of intelligence at the best of times? Would imagine all those cockney accents scared him.

kdjac

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

PauloMN wrote:

I really wonder how that paper ever makes any money......not a rangers or a celtic fan ever seems to admit buying it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Eirebear wrote:
    I really wonder how that paper ever makes any money......not a rangers or a celtic fan ever seems to admit buying it! :D

how i long for the days of white square roll, square sausage, cup of tetley and the daily record!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:

I must admit to buying it on hols a couple of times.... just to catch up with the sports gos... I mean news. :D I did try and hide it behind a towel though to save the embarrassment. :eek:

Advertisement