Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

thebaz wrote:
    sorry i see a crisis this season, and there is only so much wegner will take .

That makes no sense. Henry was injured for most of last season, and Lnunberg was shocking last season. They didn't help get any results last year, so why would a crisis happen this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Right I have held my tongue up until now but I am actually very optimistic for the coming season. Arsenal are 10-1 on Paddypower to win the league, thats a bargain imho. Last season Arsenal were set up to play to Henry's strenghts who when fit was not his normal self. Then you had all the other injuries and Freddy well past his best we were not in a position to challange.

The only weak player I see is Hleb who really huffs and puffs alot and then loses the ball. Walcott needs to step up now and live up to the hype. I have a feeling this could be his season. I believe De Silva could be a key player, Arsenal have been crying out for a poacher for years now. I think he could be the man. He is used to tough tackling defenders in the Croatian League so the physical side shouldn't be an issue. Van Persie needs to stay fit.

OK I am going to say it. I think we can take the League, the biggest threat is United.

You can get them at 12-1 on betfair.com
    This might be worth a few punt, would defo soften the loss if it happened :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

PHB? Are you a closet Arsenal fan all of a sudden? ;)

I think anyone who writes Arsenal off is rather foolish, they have alot of young talent and more than enough experience in Gilberto, Fabregas (he has three seasons and a CL campaign that went to the final) under his belt now, Gallas, Toure and Lehman. Thats a fairly experienced spine to any team.

Add to that Van Persie, who on the basis of last season looks an incredible world class talent, and you have an experienced spine that is about as good as any in the league.

There are a few solid players then in Clichy, Ebouem Diaby, Senderos, Rosicky, Djourou and Flamini.

Then you have the potential of Walcott, Denilson and Eduardo.... any of whom could breakthrough as an outstanding player and you have the makings of a championship team.

Add to that the fact the team are playing to keep Wenger AND they have no pressure in terms of expectation.... I fancy Arsenal to do very well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gay, boards chewed my post. I can't be arsed typing it all out again.

Anyway, Arsenal are fine. To summarise; there is no crisis, that's lazy tabloid bull**** created to sell papers. Henry is a loss, but not a huge loss like he would have been 2 seasons ago. Eduardo could very easily fit Arsenal's new style of play a lot better. Arsenal have a lot of young players who cruised to 4th place last season, and they will get better. Arsenal have a lot of players who were injured last season, and they may not be injured again this year. The teams below Arsenal haven't really strengthened that much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

I really feel Arsenal could go either way this season, the younger players could push on, a few of them could really develop into great players and they have a few old heads around to help them along. They could also ship a few injuries to key players (Fabregas or Gilberto would be a huge blow as would Toure - imagine if two of that three were injured!) and they could genuinely be in danger of dropping out of the top 4.

They will not win the league though - just compare their team to say UTD's....how many Arsenal players would get into UTD's first 11? Fabregas....and....??? I am genuinely open to arguement and not fishing but I cant think of many others who would deffo get past their UTD counterpart....I guess Toure could probably get ahead of Vidic....any others? Possibly Van Persie - but if UTD get Tevez then deffo no......
    I certainly wont be putting money on them even at 12-1.....i'd probably lay them at that price....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

PHB wrote:
    That makes no sense. Henry was injured for most of last season, and Lnunberg was shocking last season. They didn't help get any results last year, so why would a crisis happen this year?

No sense !!!

Liverpool and United have both considerably strengthened there squads, whilst Chelsea had the stongest squad last season , which is pretty much in tact.
    Arsenal get rid of there best player, and the one thing they needed was muscle and experience , for those wet trips up north -- and sorry there new signings don't strike me of the kind to to put fear into blackburn and everton etc.
    The political fallout within the boardroom won't help , the battle between new and no money ! Unless Dein returns , Wegner will be gone before the season is out !

thebaz wrote:
    Wegner will be gone before the season is out !
    thebaz, I'm now beginning to think you're a troll and here is why.

Wenger, as has been pointed out many times, has NEVER left a job without honouring his contract to the end. He has said he will honour his contract to the end.

With this in mind, you coming along and saying he'll leave before the season just looks to me (the forum mod and NOT an Arsenal fan) like you're trying to provoke.

Please explain why, given that Wenger has honoured every contract he's ever had and publicly stated he will honour this one, that he will be gone before the season is out.

psi wrote:
    thebaz, I'm now beginning to think you're a troll and here is why.

Wenger, as has been pointed out many times, has NEVER left a job without honouring his contract to the end. He has said he will honour his contract to the end.

With this in mind, you coming along and saying he'll leave before the season just looks to me (the forum mod and NOT an Arsenal fan) like you're trying to provoke.

Please explain why, given that Wenger has honoured every contract he's ever had and publicly stated he will honour this one, that he will be gone before the season is out.

I actually like watching the football arsenal play under wegner, and think he is the best manager along with ferguson.
    He has less than one year on his contract, his best player leaves, his closest contact on the board leaves, he is given (relativly) little tranfer funds to spend, and there seams to be a serious boardroom rift ... so if that makes me a troll for predicting mid table mediocrity , for arsenal , so be it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

marius wrote:
    I really feel Arsenal could go either way this season, the younger players could push on, a few of them could really develop into great players and they have a few old heads around to help them along. They could also ship a few injuries to key players (Fabregas or Gilberto would be a huge blow as would Toure - imagine if two of that three were injured!) and they could genuinely be in danger of dropping out of the top 4.

They will not win the league though - just compare their team to say UTD's....how many Arsenal players would get into UTD's first 11? Fabregas....and....??? I am genuinely open to arguement and not fishing but I cant think of many others who would deffo get past their UTD counterpart....I guess Toure could probably get ahead of Vidic....any others? Possibly Van Persie - but if UTD get Tevez then deffo no......
    I certainly wont be putting money on them even at 12-1.....i'd probably lay them at that price....

i would take Van Persie over Tevez every day of the week to be honest.

thebaz wrote:
    I actually like watching the football arsenal play under wegner, and think he is the best manager along with ferguson.
    He has less than one year on his contract, his best player leaves, his closest contact on the board leaves, he is given (relativly) little tranfer funds to spend, and there seams to be a serious boardroom rift ... so if that makes me a troll for predicting mid table mediocrity , for arsenal , so be it !!!
    I've no problem with you predicting mid-table, you're entitled to your opinion.

I did ask you to explain your reasoning behind your suggestion he will leave before his contract is up seeing as he has always stayed to see out his contracts and has said he will do so now.

psi wrote:
    I've no problem with you predicting mid-table, you're entitled to your opinion.

I did ask you to explain your reasoning behind your suggestion he will leave before his contract is up seeing as he has always stayed to see out his contracts and has said he will do so now.

well you seam to be questioning my opinion , as if its a court of law , accusing me of trolling , and then to explain my reasoning --
    i don't know what wegner is going to do for sure, but i just made a mild prediction, that if the mess at arsenal is not sorted out soon, i believe he will leave before the year is out . Is that such an outlandish prediction, given that his best ally on the board has left, and the loyalty history of top professional managers , i think not .

psi wrote:
    PHB? Are you a closet Arsenal fan all of a sudden? ;)

Nah, it's just my opinion :) Although, I do like them a lot more since I can at least bare to watch their matches without crying from boredom. People assume cause I criticise Liverpool that I must be biased, I'm not, it's just what I think, and it's what I think about Arsenal.

thebaz:
    and the one thing they needed was muscle and experience , for those wet trips up north

Experience like Henry and Lnunberg? As you said in the previous post.
    However as I said,
    Henry was injured for most of last year.
    Lnunberg was shocking for most of last year.

They are losing something, and now this is important, that they didn't have last year. That being the case, why will it make them so much worse this year? You are making little to no sense.
    -- and sorry there new signings don't strike me of the kind to to put fear into blackburn and everton etc.

Who gives a ****? I doubt Carrick put the fear of god into Chelsea last season, how did that work out? Sagna adds to them defensively, Eduardo's record speaks for itself. Also, Van Persie, if he stays fit, will knock in 20 goals easily. People overlook just how good a player he is, mostly because they, like I, really don't like him.

I wish there were better odds on Arsenal beating Liverpool this season, but unfortunately, the bookies aren't as blinded as some people on here are.

Here's my quick summation:
    Last season there was little to no difference between Liverpool and Arsenal
    Arsenal had a huge amount of injuries last season, Liverpool had pretty much none.
    Arsenal have bought a new striker (Eduardo) and a new right back.
    Liverpool have brought a new striker (Torres) and two new wingers(Benayoun and Babel).
    Maybe, maybe, Liverpool have strengthened more than Arsenal, but considering the fact that in reality, Arsenal had a better squad last season, I think Arsenal are still better.

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal have bought a new striker (Eduardo) and a new right back.
    Liverpool have brought a new striker (Torres) and two new wingers(Benayoun and Babel).
    Maybe, maybe, Liverpool have strengthened more than Arsenal, but considering the fact that in reality, Arsenal had a better squad last season, I think Arsenal are still better.

As an evertonian , i prefer arsenal over liverpool, but are you suggesting the loss of Henry will have no impact !!!

What difference would it make from last year? Henry barely played and when he did he wasn't that good. Why will the team get worse from last year?

• Advertisement

I honestly think PHB, that even though Henry was injured most of last season, his presence around the club (how often was he on the sidelines, in the dug, or even celebrating a goal!?) would have meant alot to the younger players at Arsenal and been a massive boost and incentive for them to perform.they would all obviously look up to him a lot.
    Him leaving because he was not happy with the direction the club was going will be a major blow to them (the younger players) imo. They may view as him not thinking they are good enough?

Freddie less so. i think he is finished being honest.

fancy a bet on liverpool to finish ahead of arsenal this year with me? :)

Well I can get 3-1 odds, so you'd have to do better than that :)

I think the Henry was a big influence thing is utter crap to be honest. He isn't a good captain. He's a good captain like Torres was a good captain, captain to keep him at the club. Gilberto is a much better role model and much more captain material.
    As for the off the pitch idea, maybe, but I'd imagine having Wenger as your manager means you'd want to do your best all the time anyway, I doubt he was that much of an influence. He wasn't exactly Keane or Vieira.

PHB wrote:
    What difference would it make from last year? Henry barely played and when he did he wasn't that good. Why will the team get worse from last year?

ok this is my last post on it, i wasn't trolling, don't support arsenal, and was making a general prediction for next year relating to one of the top teams .
    If you think arsenal will be stronger next year , fine , if you think wegner will stay . regardless of what happens , fine too ... end of

Fair enough, but you still haven't made any point. I can see millersangel's argument, it makes sense, despite me thinking it's just wrong. Your argument makes no sense.

but remember PHB, Wenger has refused to commit himself to the club past this year, hardly inspiring the young players with belief to be honest.

Anyway, i dont think there is major problems (ie. mid table finish) at arsenal, but i do think they will fade off as the season progresses and lose too many matches to keep up with Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea.

Whether or not Spurs etc can overtake them is another question.

Edit- PHB: stop being reasonable, i prefer ya when you're being a close minded manc! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

There is a pressing need for imo 2 new signings which need to be completed in the next couple of weeks before the season starts. Arsenal need a winger to replace Freddie and offer competition to Hleb. While I believe Wenger is going to use Eboué as a winger this season (He is very attack minded and can beat people as he demonstrated last year) there is a need for another winger.

Of more pertinent importance is the need for an experienced CB, someone like Ayala per sé, because lest everyone forget the African nations cup will deprive us of our best player imo, Touré, amongst others.

Personally this is a massive season for Arsenal. If it goes well they could be in a position to step up to the challenges presented by Man Utd and Chelsea, if it goes badly they could find themselves dragged back down towards Spurs et al and become detached from what is increasingly becoming the top 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Galvasean wrote:
    Don't want to start an argument or anything but is there a specific reason or do just hate all rival teams?
    No I don't hate all rival teams I just have a real hatred for Arsenal. They whine and complain at everything ala Neil Warnock. Remember when Owen scored the 2 goals in the Fa cup final, Ljungberg and Wenger came out and instead of saying "Well done Liverpool" They started to complain and call it luck and the better team lost and all that. Can't stand Lehman and if I was to post all the things I hate about him I could be here all night so I am not going to bother.
    Sorry mate its nothing personal against the fans.

Reganio 2 wrote:
    No I don't hate all rival teams I just have a real hatred for Arsenal. They whine and complain at everything ala Neil Warnock. Remember when Owen scored the 2 goals in the Fa cup final, Ljungberg and Wenger came out and instead of saying "Well done Liverpool" They started to complain and call it luck and the better team lost and all that. Can't stand Lehman and if I was to post all the things I hate about him I could be here all night so I am not going to bother.
    Sorry mate its nothing personal against the fans.

could say the same about Chelsea and Utd.

the above two would be worse in my opinion for it than arsenal.

Well it looks like both Mourinho before and Fergie now think that Arsenal are going to be there or thereabouts.
    Are you favourites for the title this time?

Well, Chelsea will be there, of course, and I expect Arsenal to improve. They've signed a right back, a midfielder and a striker. I'm not sure about the striker as I don't know much about him.

But they have lost Henry. How can they cope without their talisman?

They lost him in December. I don't think they'll suffer too much. His time had gone and I think Arsene [Wenger] knew that. I think they will be more consistent now. The signing of a striker [Eduardo da Silva] tells you where their problems were. They need more goals. I don't know too much about him. I would need to see more of him before I judge him. But they've got Adebayor and they'll have Van Persie back, so they're not too bad, are they?

And Liverpool? Are they ready to finally challenge you consistently for the title again?

They've bought a group of players, right enough. They've even got a Moroccan [Nabil El Zhar] and I don't know where they've got him from. And, of course, they have signed Torres. I think Torres is athletic, he's brave enough and he'll run the channels for them, which he did well in Madrid. He's good in the air and has got a physique. He's quicker than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

What midfielder did we sign?! :eek:

i would take Van Persie over Tevez every day of the week to be honest.

Debatable as that is only time will tell, both are deffo fantastic footballers. But the point is that even if you do take Van Persie over Tevez.....that is still only three arsenal players make the utd 11.....

I ain't disputing that. I've said i wouldn't be suprised to see arsenal struggle this year.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see them do well either :) cant get me off that fence!

I ain't disputing that. I've said i wouldn't be suprised to see arsenal struggle this year.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see them do well either :) cant get me off that fence!
    :D
    i'll keep pushing anyway;)

Im usually a big fan of fence sitting but in this case I just cannot see any way arsenal can win the league....for the first time in about 8 years third/fourth place wouild be a very good result for them.

that is still only three arsenal players make the utd 11.....

Maybe, Van Persie would defo be there, Fabregas is the one midfielder in the world who I would consider replacing Scholes with, Toure and Gallas are nearly, if not as good as Ferdinand and Vidic as individual defenders.

Liverpool only have one played currently that I think would get into the United team and that's Torres and maybe Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'd say that at least Clichy=Evra and that Lehmann=Van der Sar there or thereabouts along with a few others like this, so its not quite as emphatic as can be made out. When you do this kind of thing you invariably do it from one teams point of view.
    Just out of curiosity it would be good to see what players a liverpool fan(for example) would take from Utd(for example) and then vice versa. Actually sorry this may appear like im trying to start a big kerfuffle again between these sets of fans, i was going to say Chelsea but there just seems to be way more Utd. fans around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

In reply to Arsenal not missing much as Henry was out last year, I think the psychological effect will be huge. When he was out, the youngsters could still think that 'at least Henry (arguably the best player in the world) will be back and that will help us out'. Now he's gone for good so I think that will play a huge part.

You think it'll increase pressure on them? Maybe it will, I don't think it'll be that big though.
    I'd say that at least Clichy=Evra and that Lehmann=Van der Sar

I couldn't disagree more about Clichy, and I could see an argument for Lehmann I guess.
    What I'd love (might start a thread) about a select XI from the top four :)

I think it will certainly increase the pressure on them - thats not to say they will perform poorer though. How they react remains to be seen and could be that basis on which their upcoming season will go.

As for Clichy = Evra..... bwa ha ha ha. Close the door on your way out playa3.

But then there's also the whole negative effect he had putting too much pressure on his team mates and giving them looks if they messed up a pass or didn't do what he wanted them too. For people like Hleb that could have dented his fragile confidence and effected decision making quite a lot. Now at least they know he is gone and must realise for themselves that they have to work together and not rely on Henry bailing them out

Archimedes wrote:
    As for Clichy = Evra..... bwa ha ha ha. Close the door on your way out playa3.

What did Evra do last year to make everyone think he is so much better? I admit he did look good when i saw him, but Clichy has come on leaps and bounds and is just as good in my eyes, and as Pepe said, he was voted 3rd or 4th for Arsenal player of the year on the arsenal website

3rd of 4th best player at Arsenal isnt much a superlative considering that the whole team had a relatively poor season. Imo, only Fabregas and Gilberto stood out last season.

playa3 wrote:
    What did Evra do last year to make everyone think he is so much better?

Left back on the PFA Team of the Season perhaps...

Fair enough, Clichy isn't exactly a player who stands out though unless you watch him regularly. He has a brilliant work ethic and has become very sound defensively, he's got amazing pace and linked up well with Rosicky when they had their chance, however the thing he is lackin in is his final ball, so hopefully he can improve that next season

Archimedes wrote:

That team was bollocks, Gerrard in midfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Reganio 2 wrote:
    No I don't hate all rival teams I just have a real hatred for Arsenal. They whine and complain at everything ala Neil Warnock. Remember when Owen scored the 2 goals in the Fa cup final, Ljungberg and Wenger came out and instead of saying "Well done Liverpool" They started to complain and call it luck and the better team lost and all that.
    Was that the same match where a Liverpool player cleared the ball off the line with his hand when Arsenal were 1-0 up? I was pretty angry that day too :mad:

Archimedes wrote:
    Too much politics in the PFA for it to be a good indicator.

I thought it was voted by the players? And you couldn't vote for your own team?

With all the rivalries picked up along the seasons I'm sure a lot of players miss out on votes purely because other players dont like them. Plus international team mates are prone to voting for each other (hence Gerrard).

i really do think those PFA things were the biggest load of ****e this year.

Neville ahead of Finnan?
    Van Der Sar ahead of James?
    Gerrard ahead of Essien?

They were deeply flawed, pretty sure only people who would disagree would be Utd fans who dont want the containing 7 or 8 of their players exposed as the sham it was

and for the record (Liverpool fan), i reckon i'd take Clichy over Evra, quality player who has always impressed me when i've watched him. his pace is frightening.

• Advertisement

Yeh that can be the only possible reason.
    Neville is better than Finnan, always has been, always will be. There's a reason he got voted for, his form last season was incredible.

VDS at January was better than James. If he had maintained his form, he woulda been there, but he didn't. James did maintain his less impressive form.

It's no surprise that a defensive midfielder doesn't get selected.

Phb, Neville was injured last for a good chunk of last season so didn't play a load of games. He shouldn't have gotten in the team for that reason. I'm not doubting Neville is an excellent player, when fully fit and playing. Last season, he wasn't.
    No player deserves to be in there based on form over previous years, defeats the whole purpose of it.
    He shouldn't get in there simply because he is english, an international player, and captain of united. but they are the only reasons he was in there. Shouldn't have been in the team. End of.

The vote is done late January, he was fit the entire time up until then. He was voted in because by that time he was the best right back in the country.

Whether the vote should take place in January is another question.

So you agreeing that last season Finnan was a better Rb than Neville?

So you agreeing that last season Finnan was a better Rb than Neville?

• Advertisement
Advertisement