Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be worried by survey report?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,

We are first time buyers and need some advice ASAP. We are in the process of buying a mid victorian terrace and have just got the survey back. Pretty much everything was up to scratch apart from the 1960's groundfloor bathroom extension (off kitchen) which has walls only 120mm thick making it prone to condensation and damp and heat loss. It has a flat roof. The surveyor has highly recommended that we get internal dry linings ("water resistant insulation board") so that it meets building regulations. However if we do this he has said it is highly unlikely we will be able to fit a bath in. It is not showing any signs of damp yet.

To be fair the bathroom was our only real project - it is outdated with some wierd semi partition between the bath and sink and the toilet. We were going to strip it when we had saved up enough and redo it (new suit and hopefully knock down the wall). But the insulation thing is a bit of a blow as is the possibility of no bath. Does anybody have any idea how much this type of insulation costs and should we ask for some money off the price we are planning to pay?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

You don't mention if you have another bathroom upstairs. If so, does it have a bath?

We have removed the bath from our main bathroom and put in a large pumped shower and we are very happy with it as we found that we were never using the bath. This also made the bathroom look much bigger. However, it's down to personal circumstances and preferences. we have two teenagers that prefer showers. If you have small kids or are planning to have them you may prefer to have a bath.

I think you will probably need to do the dry lining anyway so maybe investigate the option of getting a slightly shorter bath?
    You could also have the option in the future of knocking and building a larger bathroom?

If the house was one I really wanted and all else was okay I'd probably go ahead but I would also use the survey to try to negotiate a discount, not sure if this work.

Advertisement