Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 23-07-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking to buy a 01 or 02 petrol Mondeo. Whats the difference between the 1.8 Zetec and LX models?

Zetecs all seem to be 125bph? Most LX models are 100bhp? Zetecs have higher spec..alloys etc?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

yup zetec are better spec. Alloys, front fogs, air con. All elec windows. elec mirrors. Id go with the zetec. i had a 01 Mondeo Zetec and i loved it. Very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mondeo 1.8 LX - 110bhp - CD Player, electric front windows, remote central locking, electric adjustable driver's seat, front arm rest, air conditioning and 16" steel wheels.

Mondeo 1.8 Zetec - 125bhp - LX spec + electric rear windows, electric heated door mirrors, colour coded door handles and side mouldings, front fog lights, alloy wheels, titanium centre dashboard console and 16" alloy wheels.

Definately go for the Zetec model, apart from having a more powerful engine and better spec, they cost very little extra over the LX used but are much easier to sell on afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Would one of the diesel mondeos not be a better buy? A 1.8 anything would be hard enough to run and the diesels ones have similar/more power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just waiting for the recommendation of another Make/Model car (we all know what it is, resisit the temptation Colm!)

Go with the Zetec, the LX is just that little bit undedr powered for the size of the car. A friend of mine has an LX & it's slow enough on the uptake, he finds the brakes poor enough on it too, anyone else think the Mondeo brakes are poor? Just wondering if it's just his car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

have a 03 zetec, brakes work just fine on it.
    Dad has a 05 lx, brakes work fine on that too!!

Still prefer my 84k+ miles zetec to the dad's lx though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Nuttzy wrote:
    Would one of the diesel mondeos not be a better buy? A 1.8 anything would be hard enough to run and the diesels ones have similar/more power?

The diesels are a few grand more expensive, however a guy i know in work got a 2001 2.0tdi from England with 55k on the clock for around 6k euro incl VRT etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Does anyone know what stage they need their timing belts changed? Is it 100k miles like the focus?

Used Mondeos are dirt cheap in the UK. They are also better equipped with most having cruise control as standard.

mvpr wrote:
    Does anyone know what stage they need their timing belts changed? Is it 100k miles like the focus?

Which engine? I think the TDCi has a timing chain rather than a belt. Not sure what the story is with the 1.8 petrol though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Sorry... 1.8 petrol timing belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

bazz26 wrote:
    Which engine? I think the TDCi has a timing chain rather than a belt. Not sure what the story is with the 1.8 petrol though.

Open to correction, but I think the Petrol has a chain as well. I vagely remembering asking my dealer when my last car was at the 50k stage and him sayng it has a chain.

OP, go for the Zetec model. I am on my second and find it great to drive. The first 1 I bought was 4 years old and had 17.5k on the clock from new, the current one I have had 25k on the clock when I got it again only 5 years old. The Diesel Zetec are like hens teeth, very hard to find and usually snapped up. I drive about 400miles a week, 30 miles motorway and 10 miles Outer Dublin driving and adverage a tank a week. Service from the main dealer I use is around €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

mvpr wrote:
    Sorry... 1.8 petrol timing belt
    Every mondeo from 2000(not old shape) to 2007 have timing chains petrol & diesel;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

They all have aircon too.

Advertisement