Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing estates in Edenmore/Coolock areas listed as Baldoyle!!!

Options
  • 23-07-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Nothing very important but noticed that there are some estates in the Coolock and Edenmore areas that are listed as being in Baldoyle. From what I could see, Clonrosse and Foxhill estates are said to be in Baldoyle. I dont really care if they are listed as being in Baldoyle but considering they are probably the best part of an hour's walk from Baldoyle proper and also the fact that you have to travel through Donaghmede to get from Baldoyle proper to these estates, I find it difficult to believe that there is another part of Baldoyle nestled away in another part of Dublin. :confused:

I wont even start on the Bayside thing whereby residents say they live in Dublin when they are actually in Kilbarrack. I'm sure the residents of Sutton Park are not particularly fond of the fact that Killbarrack Cemetery is in their housing estate!!! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sure that happens all the time.
    One of my favourites has to be a housing estate on Malahide Road, Swords.
    Cheeky gits said it was Swords Road, Malahide.

Other examples:
    Finglas = Glasnevin
    Whitehall = Drumcondra
    Anywhere in D14 = Dundrum

Quite funny really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Edenmore to Baldoyle isn't much of an upgrade. Nothing great about Baldoyle.
    Edenmore residents would be better off trying Raheny which is a lovely area.

Ballybough= Drumcondra
    Killester=Clontarf.
    A lot of Ballymun is "Glasnevin North"
    Swords is on the northside but Malahide is North County Dublin-Malahide is closer to the city centre afaik

Hilton at Northern Cross tried to be the Malahide Hilton and when that didn't work it became the Airport Hilton. It's not even that close to the Airport.
    It's the Darndale Hilton, who are they kidding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I agree the Hilton is in Darndale (used to live in the estate behind it and the guys i lived with said it was Coolock rather than Darndale (not that it made much difference really!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's definitely the Darndale Hilton, I live in the apartments right beside it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Swords is closer to city center than Malahide is, i actually work on the malahide road in swords ( the road wrights is on) - give ya a good one though. spoke with a customer last week who gave his address as malahide but to get to it you have to enter an estate in Kinsealy just opposite the pub... its no where near malahide at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Paddy Dignam

The Nephin Road in Cabra was always a bone of contrention in my youth. Some knobs used to say they were from the 'Navan Road'. (This was in the late 70's, and throughout the 80's). I met an old school friend a few years back whom I hadn't seen in years, imagine my surprise when he tried to pass himself off as being from Cabra (he was from Kinvarra Park) after years doing the opposite!!! It has come full circle I suppose, maybe now it's 'cool' to come from working class areas.

Btw, has anyone else noticed how, in a recent news story, Cabra was refered to as being in 'West Dublin'??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

seansouth wrote:
    It's definitely the Darndale Hilton, I live in the apartments right beside it.
    I've heard locals refer to this place as The Halton ... as it's quite close (500 yds) to a halting site. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

ROFL!!!!

What a stupid place to have a hotel though! It's beside a halting site, a butt ugly big tesco's and an old manky gym.

Airport Hilton my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

joe robot wrote:
    What a stupid place to have a hotel though! It's beside a halting site, a butt ugly big tesco's and an old manky gym.
    QUOTE]

Lol at the Halton, never heard that before :D

I'm going to disagree on Tesco, I think Clarehall SC looks fantastic.
    Now if you said Northside SC, now that's horrific :eek:

Anyone else know any areas with magical boundaries that are constantly moving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

micmclo wrote:
    Edenmore to Baldoyle isn't much of an upgrade. Nothing great about Baldoyle.
    Oh god you cannot be serious, Edenmore in the same league as Baldoyle!!! :D

On a scale of 1-10 Baldoyle gets a 6 and Edenmore maybe a 3 if it's lucky

anyway, anyone who puts Edenmore or Coolock as Baldoyle deserves a kick in the face as there is a few miles distance between both areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

micmclo wrote:
    I'm going to disagree on Tesco, I think Clarehall SC looks fantastic.
    Now if you said Northside SC, now that's horrific :eek:

Anyone else know any areas with magical boundaries that are constantly moving?

Northside SC is a lost cause...horiffic place... Donaghmede is looking pretty ratty these days. Anyone here remember it before the facelift??

As for the magical moving boundaries, from my calculations I'll soon have an address in Howth.....hahaha

Actually to bring it back on subject, I live in The Donahies which is in Raheny... now, it hasn't moved. It's always been in Raheny. It really p*sses me off when people list it as Donaghmede. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This problem arises when 'new' areas are put in on top of much older placenames.

The same thing happens with Marino/Clontarf.

In the 50s and early 60s, Baldoyle parish covered a lot of what is called Raheny nowadays, such as Blackbanks and Foxfield.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am just off the Grange Road in Grange Abbey,I can see the old grange church from my back window.The deeds of my house say Baldoyle but I never put Baldoyle down most of my neighbours do and they have been here a lot longer than me.The way I see it is Baldoyle starts at the train tracks now I am very close to Balydoyle but its still not Baldoyle IMO.

As for the Hilton Airport Hotel its a bit of a trek from the airport but its a lot closer than the Regency Airport Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

joe robot wrote:
    Northside SC is a lost cause...horiffic place... Donaghmede is looking pretty ratty these days. Anyone here remember it before the facelift??

At least part of NSC is scheduled for demolition as part of a big construction project in that area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Donaghmede SC is also due a big redevelopment,alto of the local residents objected to the size of the new car park.I have not hear anything in a while not sure if it got planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Didn't expect such a large amount of replies here!!! I can half understand Grange Abbey being down as being Baldoyle (even though it clearly is not). But the Edenmore thing is literally ridiculous!!!

Anyway, what about the Bayside being in Sutton thing. Even though it is an area itself. Sutton is in Sutton. Bayside is in Bayside. It would be like saying you live at 123 Fake Street, Sutton, Howth!!! But residents say they live at 123 Fake Street, Bayside, Sutton. If they want to have two areas in their addresses, to make it accurate it should be Bayside, Kilbarrack. People living on the Kilbarrack Road in Kilbarrack often list themselves as living in Sutton.....WTF???

And I'm not saying any of this in a "I live in a better area than you" thing. I am just saying that it is slightly strange how people say they live somewhere when they actually live several miles away from there, often with whole different area or townland in between.

My ntl bill has my address as being in Sutton but I have never said that I live in Sutton and have no intention in doing so. Although I am only a couple of hundred feet from Bayside which appears to be in Sutton so maybe I should declare that I live in Sutton too!!!

And going by the streets and areas that are apparantly in Sutton, it would appear Sutton has 3 railway stations within it boundaries: Howth Junction & Donahmede, Bayside and Sutton. Ironically, Sutton Railway Station used to be called Sutton & Baldoyle, not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Sorry but ive been living in Dublin 9 years and have been misled ist seems into thinking Bayside was in Sutton (really brainwashed!!). Had no idea that it was a separate area at all.

Yeah, Sutton is a mainly old area. Most of it is detached houses and bungalows. Bayside was a new suburb built in the 1970's in the an area which was technically Kilbarrack, to the southwest of Sutton. It's typical upper working class to lower middle class suburbia. To make it seem like a "posher" area, it was decided that this new suburb of Bayside was somehow part of Sutton which is quite a distance away. If it had been listed properly, it would have been listed as being in the Killbarrack townland - Kilbarrack is actually a huge area. Its not just the area aroung Kilbarrack Dart station and up to Tesco.

If you take a look at the Dublin Ordnance Survey Map, you'll see "Kilbarrack" in big bold letters written across the Kilarrack Road, the Alden Estate, Roncalli, Pacelli and towards Sarto. I doubt any of these residents would admit to this. I dont see it as a problem though. Certainly wouldn't bother me.

Sure I'm moving to Northwood soon and although everyone says its in Santry (it is in Santry Demesne, I have to admit), but I am so close to Ballymun that I would just call it Ballymun. Or maybe I could put Santry and Ballymun together and call it Ballantry or maybe even Ballantray - sounds quite fancy. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry but ive been living in Dublin 9 years and have been misled ist seems into thinking Bayside was in Sutton (really brainwashed!!). Had no idea that it was a separate area at all.

I was once told by someone from Sutton that the 'real' Sutton only began after the traffic lights at Sutton Cross. He went on to explain that people living on the 'wrong' side of the lights would like to think they lived in Sutton. W****R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

isn't the whole area _Grange_ though... Grange abbey

that what its called as in council electorial list from donaghmede to baldoyle and edenmore

as for bayside being kilbarrack well yeah I live in bayside ona road that changed its name from kilbarrack to different name when bayside was built but most business list us as sutton.

but the thing is fingal starts at kilbarrack road so it sorta splits it grom greendale /kilbarack and the next 'town' is sutton and also it he split between d5 and d13 again meaning its different from kilbrrack.

but bayside is bayside im not a sutto-howth wannabee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is the OP suggestiong that people in Edenmore are claiming to be from the Baldoyle area???
    THat makes sod all sense! apart from the fact that they're hardly physically close, Edenmore has always been listed as Raheny, dublin 5 by the post office. If you're trying to make out you're from a more well-to-do area, you'd hardly drop Raheny for Baldoyle (Sorry to all my cousins in Baldoyle!).
    Sure Sutton is nearer - Why not go for that. In fact I seem to remember a fromer Miss Ireland way back when did claim that she was from Sutton but came from Edenmore.....;)

edenmore.jpg

Hey Deswalsh. I'm not quite sure if residents decided that the area is Baldoyle, the developers who originally built the estates or if An Post say its Baldoyle but I know someone who lives in Foxhill estate just of Millbrook Road and all their mail has Baldoyle as their address. Their neighbors are all the same. She says the area has always been known as being in Baldoyle. AFAIK, Clonrosse estate on the other side of Millbrook Road is also listed as being in Baldoyle. In my company, both Foxhill and Clonrosse are listed as being in Baldoyle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jos28 wrote:
    I was once told by someone from Sutton that the 'real' Sutton only began after the traffic lights at Sutton Cross. He went on to explain that people living on the 'wrong' side of the lights would like to think they lived in Sutton. W****R
    He's right ;) My parents are on the "correct" side.
    Actually, I'm with Dub13, I believe Baldoyle starts on the other side of the train tracks and that Bayside is really now its own area and not actually "Sutton". That's from growing up in Sutton and what we would have considered to be Sutton.

Then again there was dispute as to where Howth began, with some claiming that it was the line drawn down through Offington Park, although I don't know where they got that (it's not as if Sutton is in much need of boosting itself into another postal category).

Advertisement