Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spokane Walk outside Clohessy's

Options
  • 23-07-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if it's widely known but the small stretch of waterfront outside Clohessys is called the Spokane walk, in honour of our sister city in the US.

Anyhow, let's look at how well it's maintained by the council, no bins, broken street-lights, cracked paving, un painted railings, half way down there's a railing stopping people walking all the way down to the small park with the Sea-man's memorial. This is just crazy, we use the Shannon as one of big tourist images of Limerick and yet there is no effort made to make tourists feel welcome. Were it not for Clohessy's, the entire place would look even more derelict.

I know the council are currently doing up the far side of the river, O'Callaghan and Clancy strands, imo, they should have started on the city side of the river and worked from there.

Sometimes I wonder what we did to deserve the city management we currently have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Totally agree with you, I often walk the river from Clancy Strand all the way round by Shannon Bridge and back through Thomond Bridge and it is nothing short of disgraceful the way it has been neglected. If it was any other city in Europe it would be paved, some trees and flowerbeds lining the paving with benches and litter bins. We are light years behind our european cousins when it comes to attracting visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

phog wrote:
    Totally agree with you, I often walk the river from Clancy Strand all the way round by Shannon Bridge and back through Thomond Bridge and it is nothing short of disgraceful the way it has been neglected. If it was any other city in Europe it would be paved, some trees and flowerbeds lining the paving with benches and litter bins. We are light years behind our european cousins when it comes to attracting visitors.

Not just our european cousins, our Galwegian cousins wouldn't stand for it either.

It's really such a disagrace, even putting things like the recycle bins there is disgraceful as they're always overflowing and surrounded by illegal dumping. Anyhow, who ever heard of putting large ugly recycling bins on what's supposed to be a tourist area? Same for outside the Hilton. I'm all for recycling, bit sure they could pick a more sensitive site than there?

It's depressing to continually see the potential of Limerick being left unrealised by the city management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Apropos tourists. I recentrly noticed the new main attraction in Limerick for tourists: Pennys! Always, really always a crowd of foreign students on their summer trip in front of it! Every day!

I think they don't even bother about sth more or less "remote" like Spokane Walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

phog wrote:
    ...it would be paved, some trees and flowerbeds lining the paving with benches and litter bins.

You know there's nothing stopping a group of people getting together to do a bit of environmental social work in areas like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jean05 wrote:
    You know there's nothing stopping a group of people getting together to do a bit of environmental social work in areas like that.

What do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

doing work that the city management is supposed to do: building pavements, erecting railings, creating leisure amenities, put new deckings on roads. Simple enviromental social work as it is...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Apropos tourists. I recentrly noticed the new main attraction in Limerick for tourists: Pennys! Always, really always a crowd of foreign students on their summer trip in front of it! Every day!

I think they don't even bother about sth more or less "remote" like Spokane Walk.

Those students flock to Penneys every year. Was a nightmare when I worked there.

Advertisement