Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps

Options
  • 23-07-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Seen a bit about the search and rescue/patrol air craft that the air corps operates on Nationwide tonight. Just imagine the job that these guys could do if they were properly resourced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Huh? Search & Rescue? :confused: I didn't see the programme so could you confirm what exactly were they talking about? Because, if they were talking about helicopters, then it sounds like they got it wrong or mixed up or something. The Air Corps doesn't do SAR anymore, it's been contracted out to CHC who operate the SAR Sikorsky's on behalf of the Coast Guard these days.

The Air Corps operate the CASA maritime patrol aircraft alright. Was it that they were talking about? Because, as I said, they don't do helicopter SAR anymore.

Having said that, though, I did notice that the new AW139s were delivered with rescue winches. Does that mean that, in the event of a major emergency or national disaster, that they could actually be brought into service to carry out SAR missions? Do the Air Corps even do SAR training anymore? Anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

the primary role of the Air Corps seems to be Ministerial Air Transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

ambasite wrote:
    the primary role of the Air Corps seems to be Ministerial Air Transport.

The DF annual report lists 283 Air Corp missions in support of ATCP; 2325 Garda Air Support Unit missions; 280 maritime patrols and 90 air ambulance missions. The number of MAT missions is given as 245.

And all of the above are in addition to the support provided to the Army & NS for training & operational purposes.

Advertisement