Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with 320Gb Toshiba external HDD

• 23-07-2007 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I bought a Toshiba 320Gb external HDD from PCWorld a year or two ago (can't remember exactly, its the same as this one: Amazon UK. Its never had a problem until yesterday. I tried to use it and all I get is the blue LED blinking about once a second and nothing else. The drive doesn't spin up and my PC doesn't recognise it. I cant find any support information about the drive, so don' know what the problem is. I have a lot of music and photos etc on it (its my backup drive) so want to figure what's wrong. Any ideas? Is it dead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ahh my brother has the same hard drive and the same probelm.

me and my brother conclueded that it was dead im sorry to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I tried it again last night and it worked! Still doesn't look good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SquirrelOnCrack

Hi,

Ive had the same problem with my HDD, different model though. I work in IT and I tried EVERYTHING to fix it. I gave up after a while. I tried it on different PCs, I tried different cables nothing worked all they guys in work were puzzled too so it wasnt only me confused. It seemed to be dead. I left it and forgot about it. A month later I plugged it in and it worked! That was over 6 months ago. I dont have much confidence in external HDDs since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

If it goes dead again int he future I will take it apart and connect directly through the SATA cables on my PC and see if that helps (if so I'd just need a new enclosure). I assume that its just a regular HDD inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd a similar problem with a different make of hard drive and that worked(well it was IDE) but from the googling I did at the time it's just as likely to be the actual dive as opposed to the controller. I presume I don't need to say back everything up asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I only just got a 500Gb FreeAgent Seagate USB2 drive so I hope it does better than most. Best bet is to backup anything that goes onto those external drives. But you can beat a library of music, video and mags (hell even Mame) while leaving your own pc's drive alone. Defragging is a normal operation once again.

Advertisement