Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I do my test?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Long story short: got a cancellation test appointment for tomorrow (only got a call Friday eve) but I'm just after noticing one of the headlights is out. The test is at 9:15 in Churchtown, will I be able to take it if I can't get it fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

No. Get to a motor factors that opens early. I am almost sure there is one in Dundrum.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Driving examiners only check the indicators and brake lights

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

Driving examiners only check the indicators and brake lights
    if the weather is bad they will check the lights. They did for me when I did my test in the lashing rain.

Cremo wrote:
    if the weather is bad they will check the lights. They did for me when I did my test in the lashing rain.

Perhaps in that sutuation, but normally they only check brakes and indicators.

Did he actually stand in front of the car to check, or was it a technical question. ??

But OP said headlights, so if he only switches on the dipped should be OK.

My advice, try and get a lamp. If no joy then turn up and do not volunteer any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Cheers, driving instructor said it had to be working, much stress drving around with him, got bulb with minute to spare.... They never checked it! But m'eh I passed :)

I think they can ask you to operate them, but generally only bother if it's dull...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

For anyone else in a similar predicament - many filling stations stock standard bulbs so no need to panic!

....or if you're really stuck, borrow one from a friend/family member for the test. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just a point of information here:

I don't know what the rules for driving test examiners are but I took my test on a very sunny day in August a few years ago and was asked to show that my indicators, dipped beams, headlights, brake lights and reverse lights were working. The examiner stood at the front and rear of the car during these checks.

All my lights were working but I doubt she would have allowed me to drive if even a single bulb was gone.

Congratulations on passing
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Just a point of information here:

I don't know what the rules for driving test examiners are but I took my test on a very sunny day in August a few years ago and was asked to show that my indicators, dipped beams, headlights, brake lights and reverse lights were working. The examiner stood at the front and rear of the car during these checks.

All my lights were working but I doubt she would have allowed me to drive if even a single bulb was gone.

What country was that. ?? She must have had a massive fear of taking you on test and desperately tried everything to avoid doing so. :)

Checking the reversing lights. ? I have often used the reversing lamp to replace a blown brake or indicator lamp.

Few years ago had a pupil who had a wee mishap with a stone wall night before the test. He turned up with NO front right headlamp.
    I asked the tester if he would take him out. His reply: Why not, its daylight. Took him out and he passed. (His indicators obviously came safe)

Plus from www.drivingtest.ie. Note only indicator and brake light mentioned.
    Q. What are the principal vehicle requirements for the test?

A. The vehicle must be roadworthy. Among other things this means that the brake and indicator lights must be working, where seats are designed for headrests they must be in place and tyres must be properly inflated with at least 1.6 mm. tread depth. If the vehicle is considered not to be roadworthy the test will not be conducted, you will forfeit your fee and you will have to re-apply for the test.

However, the testers have great discretionary powers, can do more or less as they please, but in 15 years presenting pupils for test have never had any lights checked except the brake and indicators.

That is apart from the "How would you " questions" whilst sitting in the car. The lights themselves are not checked only how to operate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

J_R wrote:
    What country was that. ?? She must have had a massive fear of taking you on test and desperately tried everything to avoid doing so. :)

This was Naas, Co. Kildare, Ireland ;) What was funnier in my mind was that my wife sat her test the day before me in the same car and the examiner had performed all of those checks that morning as well. She knew it was the same car because she said to me, "Oh, it's not very often you get the same car two days in a row".

She was very friendly and I passed with only one fault :D She just seemed to be very thorough as she asked both my wife and I about twelve "rules of the road" questions in the office before we sat into the car. Once she knew you knew the answer she moved onto the next question. When she was finished she congratulated the two of us on knowing the rules of the road inside out...I'm sure if she asked me the same questions today I'd probably get about 3 or 4 wrong or only partially right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They checked all my lights in Rathgar when I did my test about a month ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

r3nu4l wrote:
    This was Naas, Co. Kildare, Ireland ;) What was funnier in my mind was that my wife sat her test the day before me in the same car and the examiner had performed all of those checks that morning as well. She knew it was the same car because she said to me, "Oh, it's not very often you get the same car two days in a row".

She was very friendly and I passed with only one fault :D She just seemed to be very thorough as she asked both my wife and I about twelve "rules of the road" questions in the office before we sat into the car. Once she knew you knew the answer she moved onto the next question. When she was finished she congratulated the two of us on knowing the rules of the road inside out...I'm sure if she asked me the same questions today I'd probably get about 3 or 4 wrong or only partially right :D

My wife and I did the test on the same day in the same car and got the same tester. He checked all the lights, including headlights, on both occasions, so clearly it's down to personal preference and mood with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

yeah i saw a driver tester in naas making someone do the full selection of lights as he walked around the car.

Advertisement