Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only over 23's in Langtons..

• 23-07-2007 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Last saturday night Langton's were only letting over 23's into the front bar. Thought this can't be legal so we waited for a gard to pass to get them to force the bouncers to let us in (even if only to prove a point). Waited atleast ten minutes but no gardai anywhere, so gave up.

Anyone know if the gardai would/could have done anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, they're not allowed to discriminate on an age basis once you're over 18. Can't say I've ever tried this theory with a Garda though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Kitleers inn is over 21's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think if it over 23's then they are not allowed to let anyone under 23 even though they are legally allowed in.

I could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I think they watered down the legislation here and bars can now have an age limit once it is clearly displayed somewhere close to the entrance.

But don't worry, if you brought up the age thing, I'm sure they would have made up some other excuse not to let you in:

Regulars only.
    It's too full inside.
    You look like you've had enough.
    etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Yup I think if they display the requirement age they get away with it.
    Still sounds discriminative to me.
    But then again so what?
    Just go somewhere else and give that place
    your hard earned cash :D
    Besides who wants to be another sardine in that overpriced and overcrowded can?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Langtons told me on my 18th birthday that I was to come back in a year :rolleyes:
    As King Nothing said, you'd be mad to pay 12 quid for the priviledge of standing in an overpriced barn full of Dubs drinking overpriced drinks, that somehow get more and more expensive as the night goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

I'm sure it's some form of discrimination, I googled this:

In March 2002, the first sucessful case brought by an older person under the Equal Status Act was announced. Decided by the Office of the Director of Equality Investigations, the case involved a 72 year old man who was refused admission to a Dublin bar because of his age. The man had gone to the Q Bar to celebrate a wedding anniversary along with his wife and other family members. The finding was that the man was refused admission on account of his age and he was awarded EUR1,000 for the embarrassment and stress caused.

I know it's someone older but i'm sure it's possible to have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I tried it before with the Venue. They told me my age card was fake. I asked 2 passing cops to determine the legitimacy of my ID, and both agreed it was real. The ape of a bouncer said "you're barred". I called the Equality people and they said that I'd have to arrange my own solicitor etc etc and it was far too much hassle over a shítehole like the Venue, so I just left it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Don't they reserve the right to refuse admission?
    Must be seen to be doing their bit to clean up John street after the slating it got on the media.

Yeah they can refuse admission if they like, but not on the grounds of age, as the law specifically classes that as discrimination. This is why most bouncers won't tell you why they're not letting you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The Government amended the Equal Status Act 2000 by passing the Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2003:
    (4) If -

(a) the holder of a license or other authorisation which permits the same of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BrotherTotz

Over 23's is extreme but its the way Langtons seem to want the front bar. The older (no offence) crowd in there with the others hitting the back/night club n paying the €12 to go in and buy over-priced vodka n red bulls with the hen parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

word to the wise, dont piss off a cop by bothering him over something like this, if you get refused, drop it and leave, there is nothing that you can do (cept if your a chick and go down on the bouncer) that will get you into the establishment.

If you stop a cop over this he is more likely to do you for being a nuissence than anything else, i know i would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Most night clubs like to make up their own rules when it come to age, 18 is the legal age for a person to get into a club.
    Stopping a cop on the road is just a waste of time, If they take it up with the bouncers, They wont get free into Langtons again:)

I know we are not spolied for choice for night clubs in Kilkenny, but Langtons as some said a barn with drink wayyyyyyyy over priced. Its a complete joke.

One way to sort them, Dont go there, spend your money some where else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The door staff in Langton's are a law onto themselves. If they don't like the look of ya, you're not going to get in.

Having said that, as someone who hasn't been 23 for a while now, I'm happy to go into somewhere that isn't full of 21 year olds. There's room enough for everyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Firetrap wrote:
    Having said that, as someone who hasn't been 23 for a while now, I'm happy to go into somewhere that isn't full of 21 year olds. There's room enough for everyone.

Couldn't agree more, and anyone who is 18/19 now will know the feeling in a few years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Looks like there will be more 18 and 19 year olds heading accross the bridge, as Neros is set to close its doors

It is? Good riddance! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BrotherTotz

Nero's is going? Any hint of a new nightspot/club to take its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I really don't get the fascination with Langtons. No atmosphere in there whatsoever and what is with the ugly lights...clubs are supposed to be dark to make you look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a sheep mentality I think. I don't like the place - hate the decor, hate the crowds, hate the awful music, hate the prices, hate that they sit someone on a till at the door into the nightclub right up until it's ready to close - but it does seem to be the place that everyone ends up in at the end of the night when the pubs start clearing out.

Advertisement