Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Design salary for 2yrs experience?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can anyone give me an idea of how much u should ask for in the design field if you have two years experience?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Depends on your experience in those 2 years and how good your portfolio is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 *Jess*

Figment wrote:
    Depends on your experience in those 2 years and how good your portfolio is.

Ok thanks, hopefully u can give me an idea if I tell u a bit?
    Well my backround is Computer Animation, Illustration and Design.
    So I've 3yrs of Graphic Design/Visual language from collage. I did pretty well in them subjects.
    After collage I started a t-shirt Design company and ran that for a bit over a year. Developed the company identity, logo etc and did nearly all the t-shirt designs.
    I've also Designed logo's for companys, business cards, flyers, letterheads, Van signs and just recently Designed a 287page cookbook. (which had a lot of extra's in it. Like dealing with 12 different sponsers of the book, making up and fixing their adds, to be put into the book. Editing the chefs personal photos to make them look somewhat decent to put in it etc.)

I did all that work freelance. I never worked in a design studio, dont know if that makes a difference?

Theres a few samples on this if this'll help?
    http://www.myspace.com/jessiepaintsapicture

Thanks for tryin to help, any input is greatly appreciated.
    Jess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Ok for some (hopefully constructive) criticism...
    The problem is I just cant tell the standard of your design.

If applying for a design job get rid of your (nice) paintings and photos and just show your strongest 10 graphic design pieces as big images. Get together a simple website for yourself (no myspace or similar) and display them with a bit of info on your role in each job.
    A simple one page like http://www.flkstudio.com/flk.htm is all you need.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that.
    Some good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Yeah, keep it simple and professional. A portfolio site should be clear and easy to navigate. It's a portfolio not a community website. It doesn't need to be big or complex. Pick your best stuff and display it!

• Advertisement

Yeah I know,
    It did start off as a personal page and then I added the Art in! OOps!:rolleyes:
    Ah well, at least I know now.
    It's great being able to get advice here,
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

It's really all up to you. If you are freelancing, you should always pitch a high figure. Don't undervalue yourself! Remember, You can always go lower if the client thinks the figure you pitch is too high, however it is very difficult to bring the price up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maria C

*Jess* wrote:
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much u should ask for in the design field if you have two years experience?
    Thanks
    Hi Jess,

Post your query on www.creativeireland.com, theres lots of experienced designers there that should be able to help you out and give you a good indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Do as the guys say and get a website & good portfolio. Actually have hard copy to show people. After all that is done based on a quick look and your experience i'd say anything from €22-€27 is what you could expect. I started 7 years ago on £15k (punts) and am now €44K but it varies so much depending on the area you work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Creative Ireland is great though they can pull you apart when you ask wage questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement