Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting Phantom to More People

Options
  • 23-07-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭

A thought struck me from talking to someone yesterday. There are quite a few people in Dublin, who have either (a) never heard of Phantom or (b) have never bothered to listen, despite the fact that their music tastes would be satisfied to a significant degree by the music of Phantom.

There are of course numerous reasons why this might happen. In the case of the individual I was talking to, he is in his early 40s and has been very active in outdoor pursuits. But I think it is the people that are 35+ that Phantom seems to pass by, even though it plays potentially at least their kind of music, i.e. those of a certain music taste.

So I was wondering do more measures need to be deployed to promote the station and bring in those people, who, for example, never listen to radio but listen to a lot of music (recorded and/or live)? Obviously, these techniques might be relevant to the age groups under 35 as well, that are somehow being missed as listeners.

I think there is an opportunity here for Phantom, especially as the type of people I'm talking about are not listening to much radio in the first place - so Phantom has the field to itself here, in effect.

Now that it is in safe legal grounds, it has more opportunity to advertise itself to a wider public.

Possible methods of promoting or marketing itself (these are all subject to viability studies of course):
    1. associating itself with outdoor-related organisations such as hillwalking clubs, caneoing clubs and orienteering clubs.
    2. tv advertisements around televised music events.
    3. flyers in shops where permitted, especially within shopping centres.
    4. Erecting stands to promote the station at music events and shopping centres, and giving away various freebies and of course flyers about the station

What do other people think? I just believe there are many people out there that have yet to be pleasently surprised by what they hear on the radio, and increase the listenership of Phantom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 salvador

"especially as the type of people I'm talking about are not listening to much radio in the first place"

i know nothing about the "biz" or what have you but i'd be a bit like that myself to be honest, listen to the radio (but usually just when i'm commuting or (if its on) the two petes) but i can be very easily irked by it, the pure morning programme and then heavy traffic are quite good for keeping it to mainly music, this is the appeal of course

em, so 2 and 4 i would look optimistically on (target your audience) and, i mean, i've seen stickers (in shops such as soundcellar and tower records) and someone gave me a badge last year (but it was a friend who had loads that gave it to me, not a random promoter who wouldn't have known me...) but its not really on a grand scale (ok, maybe a grand scale is a bit much, i know there would be costs and people have lives but a lot of people really love phantom and maybe people that aren't actually employed could give a dig out? (i would be up for this!))...where's the gusto (that looks horribly insulting and i apologise...at the same time i don't live anywhere near town so perhaps there is more gusto? i wouldn't be in the know, you know?)?

Advertisement