Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weston Aerodrome Flight Paths

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There won't be an outcome. I only wanted the info. I haven't time to stand around waiting on one to come and then pursue a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kbannon wrote:
    ]The amount of low (<~150m) planes flying over my estate/leixlip village is a cause for concern.

Not concerned enough to do anything about it though...
    kbannon wrote:
    There won't be an outcome. I only wanted the info. I haven't time to stand around waiting on one to come and then pursue a complaint.

Well given the crap thrown at me since I started the thread, would you blame me? Should I put my life on hold as I stand outside with a camera to take sufficient pics to convince the unbelievers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I was the one who suggested the pictures, purely in the context of this forum, and solely to try and get a handle on precisely the nature of the problem you and your neighbours are experiencing. As you may have gathered, this is somewhat of a contentious issue, on both sides of the divide. I have no connection with the folk at Weston, and have no idea as to whether they would seek photographic submissions, or whether times/dates/aircraft registration would be sufficient for them to enquire further.
    kb wrote:
    ...given the crap thrown at me...

Aside from one such post, (noted by me-among others, and apologised for subsequently by its author), what I'm reading from this thread isn't "crap" at all, but in the main a desire to quantify what's going on, which can only be of benefit to all parties concerned. If you feel otherwise, I always welcome feedback, good bad or indifferent-from anybody :)

What it breaks down to is this; what you're describing, if the heights etc., stand up to scrutiny is not only a nuisance, but a safety hazard. If people can't observe height restrictions, that is to say the least a problem.

On the other hand, if aircraft are flying within the limits, it may serve to allay the concerns of residents in the area if this can be confirmed by the powers that be.

For the record anyway;

Don't make it personal folks, there really is no need...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Aside from one such post, (noted by me-among others, and apologised for subsequently by its author), what I'm reading from this thread isn't "crap" at all, but in the main a desire to quantify what's going on, which can only be of benefit to all parties concerned. If you feel otherwise, I always welcome feedback, good bad or indifferent-from anybody :) ...

Excuse me, I take issue with reference to my post as cr**.
    Is it because I questioned, why suddenly someone who never posts in this forum wants to know all about flight procedures at a contentious airfield that people in his area want to see shut down, so we can have yet another bloody shopping centre or some such eyesore ?

I apologised to the author about my insinuations that he was part of the very vocal group that want to see no aviation carried out at Weston.
    I agree if he is has concerns and examples of low flying aircraft, do get some more information/evidence and the guilty can be haulted over the coals.
    And before I am chastised again, I say I do not condone flying low over built up areas since it is not safe and only adds fuel to the fire in this instance.

But on the other side we all know that there are enough people in Leixlip claiming all sorts of things in order to close Weston down.
    Personally I have only flown at Weston sporadically (too expensive and some right posing eejits hanging round to boot), but it is a principle I am fighting for in this case.
    That airfield is the only GA airfield in the Dublin area and please do not state you can fly at Dublin airport.
    That airfield has been in operation since 1930s and if it is shut what chance do any other airfields stand.
    Yes, I am angry with some people in Leixlip area because it is yet another example of nimbeys sounding off and if they make enough noise, people bend over backwards and they eventually get their way.
    Then we can all be on this forum blowing smoke out our as*** about flying flight sims and what our favourite aircarft is.

Once again OP it is not personal, but it gets my goat up when I hear some of your nieghbours who need to remember airfield was there first.
    pclancy wrote:
    Kbannon I think you're right to be concerned and should certainly both note aircraft reg's that you feel are very low and visit the tower to voice your concerns. I love flying and am really looking forward to learning myself in Weston over the coming years but safety of people both in the air and on the ground MUST take precedence if GA is to be accepted by local communities. Im sure Weston and the GA community feel the very same, so as cp251 said, go to them and ask!

Let us know about the outcome.

Sad to say some local communities and in particular some individuals will nver accept aviation in their area.
    Airfields and operators can bend over backwards and in the end they get screwed over. More votes in looking after local residents.
    BTW why not do the study and then take nice holiday for yourself/family and learn to fly in some nice sunny climate over a month rather than spending "years" learning at Weston ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote:
    Excuse me, I take issue with reference to my post as cr**.
    Okay, I can play semantics with the best of 'em.

No one called the post itself crap. In the context of the post I quoted (inverted commas included) was the line "Has OP ever posted in this forum before or am I imagining things ?"
    Now this forum is open to all, and the OP didn't even post here in the first place, which pretty much negates the second part of your quote (below)
    jmayo wrote:
    Is the fact that I questioned, why suddenly someone who never posts in this forum wants to know all about flight procedures at a contentious airfield that people in his area want to see shut down, so we can have yet another bloody shopping centre or some such eyesore ?

Aside from the fact that he didn't post here in the first place, he didn't look for flight procedures per se, but in fact enquired as to what the regulations in place were.
    jmayo wrote:
    I apologised to the author about my insinuations that he was part of the very vocal group that want to see no aviation carried out at Weston.

Yes you did, but not in the post I referred to. The apology was necessary, but no less appreciated for all that.
    jmayo wrote:
    I agree if he is has concerns and examples of low flying aircraft, do get some more information/evidence and the guilty can be haulted over the coals.
    And before I am chastised again, I say I do not condone flying low over built up areas since it is not safe and only adds fuel to the fire in this instance.

I didn't chastise you in particular in the first place. I did post that your comment was out order for the forum in so many words, and the post in question was subsequently reported by another user.

On the one hand, we have someone claiming that they're getting a load of "crap" thrown at them, on the other, when a problematic (section of a) post is put forward by me impartially as the only such instance of hostility in the thread, I'm accused of chastisement.

As previously stated, we all (except the OP) seem to be in agreement that these incidents should be further scrutinised, so unless OP themselves has something more to add, I can't see this thread serving much more of a purpose than inflaming people...

<snip remainder for brevity>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kbannon wrote:
    ...I don't recall saying that. One plane flying low and parallel to the ridge of my terrace is cause for concern.

Er I quoted you?
    kbannon wrote:
    ....The amount of low (<~150m) planes flying over my estate/leixlip village is a cause for concern.

By "the amount..." did you mean rare and isolated incidents? I thought this gives the impression this is happening a lot, But then you say not so often that you can step out and take a photo or report the aircraft number. So I'm confused :confused:
    pclancy wrote:
    Kbannon ...safety of people both in the air and on the ground MUST take precedence if GA is to be accepted by local communities. I...

Accepted? Its been there over 70yrs. I thought safety did take precedence?

@BostonB - no need to be confused. As said before, it does happen and it happens regularly enough - but just not for me to be in a position to capture it. There are enough planes to cause a concern but in general between commuting, looking after kids, etc. I rarely get a chance to stand out in my back garden so taking pics is not really a viable option.
    Furthermore, I have been involved in so many committees (clubs etc.) over the years that involved so much politics that I have absolutely no interest or motivation in pursuing this further. My 'leadership' days are over!
    I began this thread (in commuting/transport) merely looking for info on what routes the planes were allowed fly and at what minimum heights. I asked more out of curiosity than out of any activism intentions.
    I disliked the fact that an attitude by some posters presumed that I could be wrong, that I was a newbie to this particular forum, that I was part of a lobby group that wanted the place shut down, etc. Is that the general standard of the A&A forum? I would like to think not!
    Anyhow, roundy - my qeuery has been answered - you can lock this now if you wish!

kbannon wrote:
    I disliked the fact that an attitude by some posters presumed that I could be wrong, that I was a newbie to this particular forum, that I was part of a lobby group that wanted the place shut down, etc. Is that the general standard of the A&A forum? I would like to think not!

Stick around, you'll find that it isn't. What was under discussion here was and is probably the most contentious issue faced by GA folk at this time, so emotions running high is to be expected to a certain degree. That's not to say of course that someone has a less valid opinion because they may not be known to the forum regulars.

There has been some good discussion on this thread, and paradoxically maybe, a lot of consensus. If you guys feel that there is more to be said, then feel free to start a new discussion thread, I feel that this one has gotten bogged down in places, and so I'm going to hang a padlock on it :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement