Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs v Wasps.

Options
  • 24-07-2007 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Having failed miserably to catch any rabbits or seagulls all year my dogs are elated that they have found a wasp hive up the field and are so far having great fun with it.
    They have imposed a strict no fly zone around it and can be seen each evening jumping up in the air trying to catch the buzzy little offenders as well as digging a little further into their hive.:eek:

I am waiting for the squeals of agony when they (the wasps) finally revolt at this unwelcome intrusion. Just wondered are wasp stings very harmful to dogs.

God forbid if one of the dogs gets bitten in the tongue after successfully catching one.

Should I wire the hive off or exterminate it completly. I don't fancy more expensive visits to the vet. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would probably get rid of the nest, not entirely sure what reaction dogs have but it is possible that they might have an allergic reaction which wouldn't be good. Not entirely sure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Having failed miserably to catch any rabbits or seagulls all year my dogs are elated that they have found a wasp hive up the field and are so far having great fun with it.
    They have imposed a strict no fly zone around it and can be seen each evening jumping up in the air trying to catch the buzzy little offenders as well as digging a little further into their hive.:eek:

I am waiting for the squeals of agony when they (the wasps) finally revolt at this unwelcome intrusion. Just wondered are wasp stings very harmful to dogs.

God forbid if one of the dogs gets bitten in the tongue after successfully catching one.

Should I wire the hive off or exterminate it completly. I don't fancy more expensive visits to the vet. :rolleyes:

Seagulls?:eek: :confused:

My dogs love trying to catch crabs or eels on the beach! They fail miserably and decide to bark at the buggers instead.

I would remove the nest anyway because I can't stand wasps.
    I know that all living things are supposed to have a purpose but I struggle to find a reason to apply that logic to wasps. Can't stand them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Wasps pollinate flowers just like bees do! Though not as much.
    They also kill other insects too!

Just petrol the nest... you do not have to set it on fire, though that might be more fun... petrol it and cover the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

yup, setting it on fire reduces the efficacy.

The petrol fumes will kill the wasps if you stick a rag soaked in the stuff into the nest, and cover the entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Saruman wrote:
    Just petrol the nest... you do not have to set it on fire, though that might be more fun... petrol it and cover the entrance. then run like buggery
    fixed it for you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Will no-one think of the wasps ?!

Do the wasps have no rights, etc ? Have lodged a complaint with Peta *

*I reserve the right to actually do this or just pretend to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well if the dogs disturb the nest and get multiple stings you could have an entry for 'Departed Pets'

Destroy it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dogs can be allergic to the stings like we can be & if the hive attacks then its likely you will have a dead dog or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Bond-007 wrote:
    Dogs can be allergic to the stings like we can be & if the hive attacks then its likely you will have a dead dog or 2.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: *races to the garage for some petrol* - even though I hate to kill wasps - its them or the dogs. :(

I just incinerated the area but for some reason there was not a wasp to be seen ? Either they were just about to build a nest and were driven off by the dogs or have been all drowned by the torrential rain we had this evening.

Will examine the area better in daylight and see what's the score. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

jeez... the advice given on this thread was not to 'incinerate' it....

And I do have a fair idea what I'm talking about, my dad is a beekeeper and he gets rid of wasps nests for people.

If they come back, get a local beekeeper out to finish the job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

My dog decided to chew on a wasp or two, got stung around his mouth. His face swelled up and he was disorientated and his eyes were rolling. Had to get vet to come back to his surgery at 10.30. He said some animals get a similar thing to anaphaltic shock (or however you spell it). He had to give him a antihystimine injection and tablets, poor dog was quite out of it for a day or two. Had to get someone in to get rid of nest. serves them wasps right upsetting my dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Yup , they can take very bad reactions , our little fella got stung on the rear end , and he got worse by the hour , called a vet as an emergency cos he got real bad ,
    The Vet gave him a shot and he picked up quite quickly , but he also said that he would have died if we hadnt called him.

So my advice would be , dont let the dogs chase wasps or bees.

Theres no danger of that happening with our fella now, he remembers it well , and if either of us makes a buzzing sound he sits immediately ( protecting his rear) and scans around looking for Bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

Our dog got stung on the ear last nite by a wasp - same thing nest in the garden about 10 came out and attacked him. He couldnt breathe properly, face was all swollen and he was shaking like a leaf. The vet gave him the antihistimine and today he's a lot chirpier! Poor dog was in agony, Wasps will be incinerated tonight

Are there any early signs that your dog has been stung. I notice mine too are hyper-sensitive to buzzing sounds. Just wondered were they stung sometime and I simply did not notice!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Are there any early signs that your dog has been stung. I notice mine too are hyper-sensitive to buzzing sounds. Just wondered were they stung sometime and I simply did not notice!:eek:
    Mine dogs too are sensitive with buzzing and flies and for chasing them. tbh the noise irratates my ears and gives me shivers so I can only imagine how it sounds to a dog's hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I think dogs are like cats in a way - inquisitive and love chasing insects! my gsd pup loves chasing beetles and bees but thankfully haven't noticed any beehives around.

Advertisement