Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Football Club - fans wanted to run club (into the ground?)

• 24-07-2007 7:01am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard about this crazy scheme to launch a fans' bid to buy out some struggling football club? John Nicholson describes it here.
    I'm kind of tempted, but would not choose Leeds in a million years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Not sure if this was posted previously, came across this interesting idea the other day on F365.com. Basically, the idea is for 50,000 people to each put in 35 quid and then try to buy an English club (realistically in one of the lower divisions). Each member will then have an equal say in how the club is run, down to team selection and tactics! Not sure if its 100% viable but it sounds like great fun. Go to http://myfootballclub.co.uk to have a look and sign up if your interested - they're only a few thousand off the 50,000 mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FCUM are owned and run by the fans, on a one person - one vote rationale. Seems to be working out ok for them. League winners two years running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fan ownership is really rare in England, but in Germany and Spain it's much more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Just wondering if anyone else actually signed up and paid for this?

If so, what do you think?

If not, any particular reason why?

Just wondering if anyone else actually signed up and paid for this?

If so, what do you think?

If not, any particular reason why?
    No, because I support man united. If i was going to put money towards another side, it would be an Eircom League side, not another english one.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    No, because I support man united. If i was going to put money towards another side, it would be an Eircom League side, not another english one.

I can see your point. Do you support a particular Eircom League side or would anyone do?

Personally I signed up because of the idea of it. The location of the club really doesn't make a difference to me. I support Liverpool but I'd be interested in this whether it be a Conference, Scottish League or Eircom League club.

I suppose the main reason I'm in is just to see whether it's possible or not.

I can see your point. Do you support a particular Eircom League side or would anyone do?

Personally I signed up because of the idea of it. The location of the club really doesn't make a difference to me. I support Liverpool but I'd be interested in this whether it be a Conference, Scottish League or Eircom League club.

I suppose the main reason I'm in is just to see whether it's possible or not.
    Currently i don't support an EL side.

I used to go to Shamrock Rovers games with my granddad the odd time when i was younger, late 80's early 90's. Then I went to a couple of Bray Wanderers games and a few Waterford games over the last few years, but i'd never call myself a supporter of these teams, just went the odd time for something to do.

If the same type of scheme was setup in Ireland, with the intention of purchasing a Eircom League side, i'd be interested, and i would sign up - wouldn't matter what side it was, with a 'vested' interest of sorts I would get behind them - but with an english team, I'm just not bothered; if i am to go to england to watch a game, it would to be see United play - and the rise and rise of FC United would also be of more importance to me.

I like the idea, well parts of it, and i hope it works out well for whatever club becomes involved but it is just not something i could be bothered commiting myself to. I know some people will pay their money and kinda forget about it, but i'd want value for my money so would look to understand each vote and take part in it all - and I just don't have the time or (mainly) interest to do so, and not taking a full part in the 'adventure' would be doing the idea a dis-service(sp) imo.

As for it being possible or not, I do think fan ownership is good, and can work.

Barcelona are a great example. On a smaler scale so are FC United. However, i think the underlying principle of both organisations is that the fans pick who runs the club, and has a say on decisions such as sponsorship - but the running of team affairs is striclty down to the coach. I don't like the idea of people voting on tactics or team line-ups. It could work, I mean surely a majority found in such a large group can't be wrong (FF and George Bush got elected, then elected again....) Basically, I think a line has to be drawn in the sand, where fans can no longer dictate, team selection being one of the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

One of the worst ideas in the history of football
    while fan ownership can work the fact is the majority of people signing up to this wont be fans of the eventual club purchased.
    Imagine you are supporting your local club all you life then a bunch of internet geeks who have never been to a game buy the club.
    Not only do they buy it but make all the tactical decisions as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Tauren wrote:
    Barcelona are a great example. On a smaler scale so are FC United.
    Bohs is a member-owned and member-run club.
    PM me and I'll second your application! :D
    So is SRFC, by the way...

One of the worst ideas in the history of football
    while fan ownership can work the fact is the majority of people signing up to this wont be fans of the eventual club purchased.
    Imagine you are supporting your local club all you life then a bunch of internet geeks who have never been to a game buy the club.
    Not only do they buy it but make all the tactical decisions as well.

Why is it one of the worst ideas in the history of football? Nothing like this has ever been tried like this before. It could be a complete disaster or a roaring success. No one knows yet.

So the buyers won't be fans of the club eh? Do you reckon Roman had Chelsea posters on his wall before he bought them or that Thai guy at city has a MCFC tatt on his shoulder???

What will happen is that the people involved will instantly become fans of the club. A small club in the conference will definitely notice if even half of them decide to buy a jersey.

I'm assuming you're using "internet geeks" as a derogatory term. What's the criteria for being an internet geek? Using the net? Because that's about all you know about the people who are signed up.

Everyone who is on board this is football mad. That's about the only thing they have in common.

Imagine they did buy your local club. Imagine your local club is riddled with debt. No one wants to buy and there's a danger they'll go under. Suddenly it gets bought and now the debt is manageable and the club is saved. Not only that but instantly the club as 50,000 new fans. New revenue streams and new prospects. Sounds terrible I know!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:
    Fan ownership is really rare in England, but in Germany and Spain it's much more common.

No its not politics are much more common in Spain germany and other countires where "associated" football is. They elect people to run their club based on the promise of certain players being signed barcas current president promised bekcham and settled for Ronaldinho :D ok a bad example but its not a good thing as Real madrid prove, oh they won the leage but still its not a good thing..trust me.

So the buyers won't be fans of the club eh?

I honestly have no answer to that, i cant beleive a fan of some club would even think that, oh actually what if it was your club they bought and sold the clubs best ever player cos the internet decided he wasnt good enough for a level they never seen on Sky?

Imagine they did buy your local club. Imagine your local club is riddled with debt. No one wants to buy and there's a danger they'll go under. Suddenly it gets bought and now the debt is manageable and the club is saved. Not only that but instantly the club as 50,000 new fans. New revenue streams and new prospects. Sounds terrible I know!!

I have one and the thoughts of people like you running it scare the **** out of me, its like 50,000 Peter Ridsdales with keyboards..

kdjac

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    I honestly have no answer to that, i cant beleive a fan of some club would even think that, oh actually what if it was your club they bought and sold the clubs best ever player cos the internet decided he wasnt good enough for a level they never seen on Sky?

And what if they go out and sign the best player your club has ever had? Hypothetical situations can be good as well!

KdjaCL wrote:
    I have one and the thoughts of people like you running it scare the **** out of me, its like 50,000 Peter Ridsdales with keyboards..

Enlighten me, what exactly are "people like me" like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

And what if they go out and sign the best player your club has ever had? Hypothetical situations can be good as well!

Irrelevant as the fans would chosen the best player ever not the internet.

Enlighten me, what exactly are "people like me" like?

People who assume a small local club is there merely for their internet entertainment, i have the fantasy football for that. Do you have a small local club?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kdjac wrote:
    , i have the fantasy football for that. Do you have a small local club?

kdjac

I do. little sunday league type team play down the road, in Inchicore.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke show how great fan ownership can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I don't know whats more worrying, the fact that most posters here don;t know that Dublins two biggest sides are fans owned clubs or that some think this real life Championship Manager experiment is the same thing?

I'm glad the olé olé brigade stay away from the LoI. Clueless.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Irrelevant as the fans would chosen the best player ever not the internet.

You've lost me here. I can't even work out what point you're trying to make.

KdjaCL wrote:
    People who assume a small local club is there merely for their internet entertainment, i have the fantasy football for that. Do you have a small local club?

Actually I do. And while I would certainly be wary if they were taken over in this manner I'd be interested to see if it would work.

When a club is chosen, existing fans of the club can sign up too and have direct control over how the club and team is run. So rather than bitch about the owners in the pub they can get involved and try and influence the directions their club takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

So has anyone here signed up for this? I did about a month ago but have heard nothing from them looking for money yet. Anyone else?

Devious wrote:
    So has anyone here signed up for this? I did about a month ago but have heard nothing from them looking for money yet. Anyone else?

Yeah I'm signed up. They started collecting money about 2 weeks ago now. I'm guessing the email probably got caught by your spam filter. It did in mine anyway.

You can just go to the website and pay.

There's a lot of stuff going on the messageboards on the site. It will take a while before a club is bought.

I'm going to rob your sig btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I signed up for a year also.
    It's an interesting experiement. Thats about all I'd call it.
    It is the first time something specificilly like this has been done. Clubs owned by fans are nothing new as already pointed out but the level of decision making which is given to the owners is what sets this apart. It's hard to see will this work for the team and if it is practical. As I said, am treating it as an experiment for the sake of a few quid.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

kippy wrote:
    I signed up for a year also.
    It's an interesting experiement. Thats about all I'd call it.
    It is the first time something specificilly like this has been done. Clubs owned by fans are nothing new as already pointed out but the level of decision making which is given to the owners is what sets this apart. It's hard to see will this work for the team and if it is practical. As I said, am treating it as an experiment for the sake of a few quid.
    Kippy

Which is exactly the problem with it

agreed. +1. Encore. Bravo. What he said.

It is a potentially reckless experiment that could ruin the bought club, a club that has a loyal support of real fans that don't deserve a bunch of no-nothings deciding the fate of their club.

Why?

Tauren wrote:
    agreed. +1. Encore. Bravo. What he said.

It is a potentially reckless experiment that could ruin the bought club, a club that has a loyal support of real fans that don't deserve a bunch of no-nothings deciding the fate of their club.

On the flip side it's a potentially successful experiment that could revitalise the bought club.

I presume you mean know-nothings? And like I said earlier the existing fans would be encouraged to join and would therefore have direct control over the club.

If everything went well, if everyone invovled took an active interest in the club, if everyone made decisions and voted in a manner they felt was actually in the best interests ofthe club, and not purely down to their own preferences (is, the team has played 442 for years, has the players to play 442, does well playing 442, but then a majority of jerks decide 352 is a better idea....) it could be good.

However, the potential for this to go wrong, for people to vote out of a group mentality or a personal grevence, or because this club is playing their 'first' club at the weekend, it could have a detremental effect on the club.

Simply put, if I found a genies almp tomorrow, and had a wish granted giving me a billion billion pounds, I would go out and buy United. I would pump money in to the club. However, I would also keep David Gill in place, I would keep Fergie as manager etc, they know how to run a club, they know how to nmanage, they know the game better then me. I wouldn't take over the important team related matters because there are people hired to just that.

Think about it, what manager is going to want to have his team selections dictated to him via an internet vote?

The potential for this 'experiment' to put a club in the crapper (in playing terms as opposed to financial terms) is massive, and I wouldn't want a club i supported becoming involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well,
    It is very obviously an experiment-something that hasnt been done before and I reckon it is pretty difficult to call how it will go without having given it a few months at least.
    There are obviously 50000+ out there who are willing to put their money where their mouths are and help a club out, while at the same time trying to make a success of it.
    It is very easy to spend hours on internet messaging boards b1tching about the team you support and the various nuances of their managerial talent,player talent, tactics, substitutions, transfer targets etc when you in fact can do zero about any of this and no amount of discussing this with other like minded fans will change that. There are whole fora dedicated to people discussing matters at their supported club which when you think about it isnt going to change anything at that club.
    Thats probably the reason why the 50000+ like minded people wanted to get involved with this. A direct involvement in the running of the club. Granted, there are pitfalls and I am sure things wont run too smoothly and indeed there will be certain thing that the owners will not (practically) be able to control-but its something that is worth being involved with.
    I am happy to give it time and dedication and based on what I have read on the fora from the site itself, most people are of a like minded nature.
    Kippy

Advertisement