Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frankfurt

• 24-07-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Going to Frankfurt for 4 days in October.

Any tips on what to see?, what to do?, where to go out? - eat, drink...

I'm staying directly opposite the Main train station...

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not much to do in Frankfurt at all. Used to live there and the best part was getting out! If you are across from the main train station then you are probably beside O'Reillys Irish bar. An ok place, expensive and can be very hit and miss. The red light area is there as well, lots of Eros centers which you can walk through and the Golden Gate is probably the best strip bar.

Sachsenhausen was the place for going out, lots of bars and great night life. But since I've left I've heard it's really lost the crowd. Coincidence?! lol!!

For shopping the Zeil is the main street, some decent shops on it. If you are walking down the Zeil and cross over at Haupwache then there are some very expensive designer stores on the street that continues on the left hand side.

Römer is just off the Zeil, there is the old cathedral there as well. One of the few buildings that survived the war. Not really alot to see there but if you get up early on a Saturday morning there is a good flea market across the river from Römer, just walk over the bridge.

Frankfurt has some good clubs, Cocoon (Sven Vath is resident DJ there),[SIZE=-1]
    King Kamehameha on Hanauer landstrasse (my favourite), 190 East next door to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]King Kamehameha (although I think this may be closed), Living under the central bank and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]U60311 at Haupwache. This is an old unused undergound train station that was converted into a techo club. Good buzz there and it's located at Haupwache, entrance can be a bit hard to find though!

There are a few decent bars at the bottom of the Zeil. If you are walking down the Zeil towards Haupwache, then cut through the tunnel at the cinema or take a left at the end without crossing the street and take the first left again after a few meters. Can't miss it really, it's a place to be seen so you'll see lots of Ferrarirs, Bugatits, Maseratis. etc parked around there! Helium and Studio are good.
    [/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Eat some Frankfurters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Thanks Jester, just found out my sister spent a few months there so ill pick her brain.
    MooseJam wrote:
    Eat some Frankfurters :)

Best advice ever!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Going to Frankfurt for 4 days in October.

Any tips on what to see?, what to do?, where to go out? - eat, drink...

I'm staying directly opposite the Main train station...

Cheers!!

Take a few moments to wonder at the beautiful airport, one of the best and biggest in world. Otherwise take a train and head south to Munich or anywhere else.

Frankfurt is pitsville and plenty of reminders. You'd be much better to stay in nearby Heidelberg or possibly Darmstadt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Go see the pipe organ in the cathedral in the old town area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

You'd be much better to stay in nearby Heidelberg or possibly Darmstadt.

Quite right - Mainz would be another not-too-far-off city to enjoy. Although Frankfurt can be nice to check out as well.

It is a city full of contrast and is known as the capital city of Germany. The old town is wonderful with its old buildings.

Frankfurt has a few suburbs that are absolutely worth visiting:

- Sachsenhausen
    - Oberrad

very untypical for such a big city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPLWTgc0t4 - a slideshow that shows Berlin and then FRANKFURT.

Try and stay open as the Frankfurters can come across as rough but they're actually quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Hey

I am hoping to go here next month.

The replies make it seem quite dull!

It's only for 2 days - I really just want to go shopping - Is the shops cheaper / different than they are here

Advertisement