Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of motoring

Options
  • 24-07-2007 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Im looking for move from petrol to diesel. Whether its wise or not to do so is what I'm trying to work out. I'm looking at a 03 1.8TDCi Focus, but I'm currently driving a petrol 1.2 Astra. Things such as

Tax [doubles in this example]
    Insurance [not much of a change]
    Fuel [we all know the savings here ~ 116 petrol vs 102 diesel]
    Mileage [70 miles a day motorway/dual carraige]
    MPG [35/40 ptrl vs 50/55 dsl on avg]

What am I missing, and is there info out there that will help me work this out ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Im looking for move from petrol to diesel. Whether its wise or not to do so is what I'm trying to work out. I'm looking at a 03 1.8TDCi Focus, but I'm currently driving a petrol 1.2 Astra. Things such as

Tax [doubles in this example]
    Insurance [not much of a change]
    Fuel [we all know the savings here ~ 116 petrol vs 102 diesel]
    Mileage [70 miles a day motorway/dual carraige]
    MPG [35/40 ptrl vs 50/55 dsl on avg]

What am I missing, and is there info out there that will help me work this out ?!

Depreciation is always the biggest expense in running a car. But its not felt until your about to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cost of a diesel model is more than the equivilant petrol model so if you do tiny mileage spending the extra money on a diesel car may not make financial sense. Saying that diesel cars tend to retain their resale value alot better than petrol models so it might be a case of swings and roundabouts here.

I am in a similar situation and while I was doing big mileage at the time when I bought my current car I chose petrol as the diesel version was about €4k more to buy. These days I only do about half that mileage and when I change my car towards the end of this year, a diesel will most definately be the way I will go. Will be looking at a used 06/07 Focus 1.8 TDCi Ghia myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Out of interest lads. 1.2 Diesel vs 1.2 Petrol for 70 odd miles a day at 70mph on avg.

Any advantage of one over the other for this kind of driving?

Advertisement