Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson w810i questions

• 24-07-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Very tempted to get this phone, seems to have great features and has gotten great reviews.

However a bit of Googling reveals that it seems to cronically suffer from very bad hissing when playing mp3s - so for me this would make it a no-go purchase :(

Can anyone tell me how bad this problem is? If anyone managed a firmware crack to solve it? Or else an alternative phone with similar features that I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

i'd go for the k800i, i don't think it that much dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I have the sony ericsson W810i and its a great phone, superb build quility and music player is great, dont have any problems with hissing sounds. Also camera is good too. Supplied ear phones are good too. Its cheap too so worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

that hissing is just Nokia freaks in the vicinity they can smell a SE a mile away! :) No honestly I have a K750i and that's even good I've heard most of the SE walkman range and they're absolutely fine - and don't believe every thing you google!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

If you can get the SE K800i you would be happy man as its a great phone but the camera cover is a bit of a nuisance but music features is just good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Never had the hissing problem but got the crashing problem, actually get that lot .

Great phone when it works.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've had my w810i since the start of this year and I can say hands down it's the best phone I've ever owned. I've not experianced any hissing sounds, and it's never crashed on me either.

The interface is superb, sound quality is excellent, airplane mode is a nice touch, the camera takes good pictures too.

If you see it at a good price, go for it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I was looking at these last week. Check out the w610i too. Same phone. better walkman (2.0), slightly worse camera (still 2 mb and pics I've seen look great) and the phone is slimmer and looks better imo.

I don't have it btw, just what I found out when looking at phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

eo980 wrote:
    I've had my w810i since the start of this year and I can say hands down it's the best phone I've ever owned.

I got mine in December and concur with the above. Also, it's able to put up with some rough treatment; I've dropped mine on concrete, tarmac, tiles, and it hasn't complained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hmm thats some pretty sweet feedback :) The background hiss/distortion does seem to be an issue though, just google "w810i hiss" and it is well documented in plenty of places. I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to audio quality, I have a Walkman mp3 player which has pristine converters, so I was very disappointed to hear there were/are problems with the w810i. Maybe I'll give it a go anyway. If the hiss is still an issue, there's a crack out there I can try to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

DonFred wrote:
    I have the sony ericsson W810i and its a great phone, superb build quility and music player is great, dont have any problems with hissing sounds. Also camera is good too. Supplied ear phones are good too. Its cheap too so worth it.
    Agree with this also, a really super phone. Can confirm there's no hissing on my walkman, in fact the sound is fantastic from the mp3 player. Bought a 4gb memory stick on ebay for €36, fits plenty of music on there.

The radio is tres cool too, camera excellent, great flash that can be used as a torch also :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

No issues with mp3 playback what-so-ever myself with it. Make sure you update the firmware when you get it just in case.

Cons:
    UI can be a tad unresponsive at times.
    Keypad is a bit finiky.
    Quite a number of my function buttons are now broken which a master reset couldn't fix. Google tells me it's a common enough problem.

Pros:
    Great little mp3 player.
    Supports AFT :)
    Great cam.

Advertisement