Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iveagh Gardens, Public Park or Concert Venue?

Options
  • 24-07-2007 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I am not sure where to post this little rant, but I thought Nature would be apt. I work beside the Iveagh Gardens and love to stroll through it, or sit in the sun or just relax and what a lovely park it is. Unfortunately earlier in the Summer we had 'A Taste of Dublin', the grass areas were badly damaged by the human traffic and the rain that fell throughout the event. A week before and a week after the event, you could only walk through parts of the park due to building and removing the tents required for the event. Since the event the Archery field has been out of bounds due to the damage and the area was under repair. Last weekend there was a Proms and majestically the area under repair was re-opened even though it was not properly repaired. This weekend there is a Budweiser comedy festival (you should see the price of the tickets!!) and since yesterday the park has been invaded by jobsworths telling you where you can and can't walk, but it seems ok for riggers to wheel heavy objects over grass areas rather than use the paths. As a result the place is being cut up pretty badly. Each day this week the area that the public can access will be reduced until they actually close the park off altogether. I think that the way the park is being abused is disgraceful and shows a total lack of regard to the public that this park was donated to. Please don't get me wrong, I love to see the lunchtime concerts in Stephens Green and the Iveagh Gardens, but the park is not designed for these large type of events (Taste of Dublin and the Comedy Festival), whatever weather we are having.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I agree, I work beside it too.
    Taste of Dublin was a major pain in the bum. I have a feeling though, that the park is privately owned (perhaps by UCD or something?). didnt it once belong to Newman House? or am I talking out of my bum?

here we go...
    n 1777 the Earl of Clonmel built his mansion on Harcourt Street and took in what is now the Iveagh Gardens as his own private demesne. After his death they became known as Coburg Gardens and in 1860 they were attached to a new mansion, Iveagh House, built on St. Stephen's Green. The new owner was Benjamin Lee Guinness (Lord Iveagh) who, three years later, leased the grounds to the Dublin Exhibition Palace and Winter Gardens Company who built a large exhibition centre on Earlsfort Terrace. The park, as we know it today, was then laid out by the eminent landscape designer, Ninian Nivan.

When the exhibitions had run their course the gardens reverted back to Lord Iveagh who sold them on to University College Dublin in 1939. The state bought the gardens in 1994 and under Dúchas The Heritage Service, they have since been undergoing extensive refurbishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

"The state bought the gardens in 1994 and under Dúchas The Heritage Service, they have since been undergoing extensive refurbishment."

As far as I know it is a Public Park same as Stephens Green, same Park Constables etc. I think I'll post off a letter of complaint to Duchas.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/ParksandGardens/DublinArea/TheIveaghGardensDublin/

Advertisement