Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letter in today's times

• 24-07-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Saw this letter in today's IT. I am disappointed it was published as it gives the impression there are ghosts and haunted historical sites in Ireland.

Are they going to publish a letter looking for research on the Lock ness monster or Big Foot next? If not where do they draw the line?

Madam, - I am currently researching a book on folklore and the paranormal in modern Ireland. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone with reports of ghosts, haunted historical sites, and any other strange or unexplained phenomena. Absolute confidentiality will be respected and maintained, if so wished. All correspondence will be acknowledged. Please write in confidence to me at the address below or email carraigkerry@hotmail.com - Yours, etc,

SEAN GOULDING,

Carraigkerry,

Athea,

Co Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

I can't see a problem except that maybe they should have a section for those kind of requests which you often see taking up space on the letters page.

In fairness, the writer does refer to it "folklore" which implies at least that he might not actually believe the stories to be fact.

Also, you just gave him some more free advertising :rolleyes:

Googled:

Folklore:
    1. The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people, transmitted orally.
    2. The comparative study of folk knowledge and culture. Also called folkloristics.
    a. A body of widely accepted but usually specious notions about a place, a group, or an institution: Rumors of their antics became part of the folklore of Hollywood.
    b. A popular but unfounded belief.

PS: Now that you have read this, you must pass it on to 10 of your friends or else an evil three-headed Banshee will... ... ... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

conical wrote:
    In fairness, the writer does refer to it "folklore" which implies at least that he might not actually believe the stories to be fact.
    If he is guarenteeing confidentiality, I suspect he is going out of his way to popularise these paranormal stories without looking out at them critically.

Advertisement