Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60T Problem

Options
  • 24-07-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Was out and about today and lost a lot of power in the car, and the engine light came on. Feels like there's no turbo and it's a bit chuggy. Managed to get to Volvo Airside (I was half a mile away anyway) but they can't do anything till next Monday. It's a 2001 SE model with about 80k on the clock and I've never had a problem with it before, regular volvo dealer service history, yadda yadda.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
    Is it something simple or will it be squeaky bum time when I see the bill?
    Would I be better off going to a regular mechanic than a Volvo dealership.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Its hard to say really but its very rare for the turbo to go itself on s60s so its probably not that, which is good. Take a look at the induction hose coming from the air filter and see if there are any holes or cracks in it, spilled oil absalutely devours them for some reason and that would be causing your drop in power, the same hose could also have become softened and will choke itself off when you try to rev hard, so to check that have someone rev your engine in neutral for you and you should be able to see the hose kind of collapse in on itself. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

could be an ignition coil failure, which means the engine is firing on one less cylinder..... Not hugely expensive to replace. It happened on my old Focus last year and cost < €300 to fix, and that was with a coil pack (where the coils for all cylinders are in one unit) rather than individual coils like the Volvo. The thing was down on power and surging like you described.

It's not something that only a dealer could fix, but the warning message may need to be reset by the dealer afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Damned Thing

Thanks for that, puts my mind at ease somewhat.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement