Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does He Deserve It? (Raw Spoilers)

• 24-07-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

So, Randy Orton will be facing John Cena for the title at Summerslam. For once I get the feeling that Cena could be losing the title, so I want to know if you think Orton is deserving of being champion

I'm not asking if you'd rather see Orton with the belt than Cena, I just want to know if you think that Orton deserves to be champ judging from your own idea of what it takes to be champ

I think he does. He's really come into his own this year and he's been better than ever since he got sent home from the European tour. When he first won the title it seemed like a very rushed thing, but now he's a lot better in the ring I think and he's a much better heel anyway

So, what do you think?

Does Randy Orton deserve the title? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

No doubt. Since he got his slap on the wrist he has improved immensely. More of a "career killer" than "legend killer" as of late. I loved his brief promo at the Bash regarding HBK. Still,just eventual fodder for Hunter when he comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I think Orton does deserve the title. Set it up for an Orton/HHH feud when he returns.

He improved alot, I think getting sent home during the European tour really did change him for the better. He is a better heel and is cutting some good promos recently, and he has improved in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he was the best thing about both dublin shows,yes he still seems like a cocky ****er but i hope he gets the title at summerslam,24 out of 28 months with cena as champ is just ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Yes, yes and yes! Since the hotel room incident he's improved tenfold. I love this methodical character he has developed. His move set has improved a lot too with the Samoa Joe-like snap powerslam, the stomp thing and the inverted backbreaker. As HR mentioned, his GAB promo was great, short but sweet. While I don't think he will beat Cena considering how he has ploughed through everyone, even Superman Lashley, I do think he will get a great match out of him. If he did win, I'd love to see him hold it til Wrestlemania and slowly build up a feud between him and Triple H, but in reality, I can't see the Lash not getting his mits on the belt before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

krudler wrote:
    he was the best thing about both dublin shows,yes he still seems like a cocky ****er but i hope he gets the title at summerslam,24 out of 28 months with cena as champ is just ridiculous

He supposed to seem like a cocky ****er, its just easier for him as he probably is one in real life.

Yes I think he deserves the title. I'm just interested in if H will go for him straight way on his return as I think he wants that for wrestlemania. I think Booker and H are gonna fued when he comes back and that will leave Cena and Orton to feud for a few months porbably until survior series with Orton coming out with the belt at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I'd be happy with him taking the title. The upper card of Raw is hard to write for though. I mean Orton should feud with HHH when he's back, what does Cena do? Continue to feud with Lashley? Then there's Kennedy and Booker with no real direction lately. And I though HHH was gonna be heel on return? Should be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'd love to see him get the belt. I could do without seeing Triple H win it off him a month or two later though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Orton will start acting the tool again if he gets this push and eventually the belt.... unless the belt is only put on him so he does a quick job for Triple H?

still, too many people cream themselves over Orton, he's a decent heel, a decent wrestler but he's nothing special. I don't see this marked ''improvement'' that some people think they have seen of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Apart from Michaels and maybe Cena, Orton has been Raw's most consistantly good wrestler this year. His match with Edge the week after Raw in London was nearly as good as Cena Michaels from the previous week.

Besides, Triple H loves him so he might even job for him like he did for Cena.

Double C wrote:

Besides, Triple H loves him so he might even job for him like he did for Cena.

If/when that feud culminates, we all know whose shoulders will be on the mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think Randy deserves it, he has made some stupid choices in the past, but he has worked hard since his last slap on the wrist. I can see him holding the title until Survivor Series or 'Mania and then drop it to Triple H, I think Cena's contract should "expire" and he should go back to SmackDown!, RAW has enough talent in the title picture and SmackDown! could use the probable rating increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Yes he does, he's copped himself on a lot over time, and even if he does get it, it's not like he's gonna have a long stay with the belt as HHH is gonna want it back. So Orton certainly deserves the title of future transitional champ :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Yes he does, he's copped himself on a lot over time, and even if he does get it, it's not like he's gonna have a long stay with the belt as HHH is gonna want it back. So Orton certainly deserves the title of future transitional champ :)

VR!

What he said.

I think Cena's run has gone on long enough for most ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

FFS NO. he doesn`t even deserve to be the number one contender let alone the champ if that happens. What ever happened to the number one contender earning their shot? Why did they bother having all those number one contender matches or tournaments if now they just name Orton who has spent a large part of the last year losing number one contender tournaments and matches.

I feckin' hate Randy Orton. He is the most bland major heel for a long time in the WWE. Oh he's cocky?! Jaysus surely something more is required to be a top heel than cockiness! I thought cockiness was par for the course for almost every heel. And his matches are BORING!!

They should have had some sort of match or tournament that King Booker won to be crowned as number one contender and win the belt and feud with Cena.

Throw Orton as cannon fodder for HHH's return and build up Umaga in the meantime for HHH's next opponent and by Royal Rumble when HHH's face run has ran its course turn him heel for a big match against Cena who would have won the title back from Booker after a long chase for Cena v HHH at 'Mania.

I seriously don`t know if I can handle watching Orton as champ:mad:

woooo232 wrote:

I seriously don`t know if I can handle watching Orton as champ:mad:

There's always Khali on Smackdown then.

To be fair though, he is a polarizing guy but it can't be argued that he's not over. Right now, I think he's the best choice to feud with Cena with the way Orton has run through guys for the last few months.

One thing that has not been mentioned is his facials in the ring. They can be a little overly wacky at times but generally I think they are tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

One thing that has not been mentioned is his facials in the ring. They can be a little overly wacky at times but generally I think they are tremendous.

Absolutely. I think he's possibly the best at selling in WWE, the stretcher match with RVD was a great example of that. He's much more of a presence in the ring than 3 years ago too, I think the match with Dusty showed that off well

I really don't find Orton bland at all. He really was in the past, but not now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

HHH will be feuding with Booker when he gets back. Is that not fecking obvious from Bookers last 2 weeks of Promos. As regards Randy yes he deserves it. He has really got his act together over the last few months. I can see him taking the title at SummerSlam and going on to feud with Cena up to wrestlemania. It is possible that HHH will get introduced into the feud closer to Wrestlemania when he is finished with Booker.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I think your seeing the last of Cena as champ. He's had a good run for the last two years, and his time is up.

They are coinciding Ortons first WWE title win with the same event he won the World Title, Summer Slam. I reckon you'll see Cena taking a back seat and probably some time off for a while so they can build the HHH v Orton feud.

HHH's return will be off the chart. Expect him to have a mini feud with someone like Booker or Kennedy, but once Orton wins the title, he'll be gunning for him. If WWE do it right we could have one of the best feuds in recent history.

I think Cena may turn heal on the back of this, when he returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

i think orton does deserve the title but what i hope to God doesn't happen is that he beats cena at summerslam, only to lose the belt the next month back to cena and just disappear back to middle-card matches.

by the looks of it i think raw has a few too many top-card superstars, and with Edge and 'Taker injured i think what Minto said, Either Cena or somebody else should head to Smackdown to beef up their main-events

(Also get rid of Khali)

Cena could go to smackdown after he drops the belt. It could be a really good angle.

After Khali continues destrying everyone until Summerslam and wins at Summerslam too. Cena and Orton have there feud till Summerslam which Cena loses.

On the next Raw Cena gets one chance and one chance only to win the belt back, which Triple H costs him by giving a beat down to Orton to start their feud.

At the next smackdown Khali is in the middle of a nobody can beat me speech, I have beaten everyone Smackdown has to offer blah blah ya know how they go, all of sudden Cena music hits, and out comes the only man to ever pin Khali to a huge POP.

• Advertisement

I think Cena on SD would be a very bad idea. He'd be right at the very top there, even more than he has been on Raw. At least if he stays on Raw and loses the title then he can have decent feuds outside of the main event, there's plenty of guys he hasn't faced there yet

Plus, the Raw rating is getting worse every week while the SD rating has stayed steady. SD doesn't really need any help at the moment, but Raw does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

The help they need is on RAW is to get rid of Cena to SmackDown! I am a firm believer of this now!

Fozzy wrote:
    Plus, the Raw rating is getting worse every week while the SD rating has stayed steady. SD doesn't really need any help at the moment, but Raw does

I dont think moving Cena would hurt the ratings, they need a new face to be chasing the title how many more months can we have batista going after it. Plus by the time Cena manages to get it off Khali, they will have ray back for a fresh feud, and then the undertaker. The only real problem would be edge returning as Cane v Edge wouldn't be fresh but maybe edge and Kane could feud for a bit due to the injury angle and by then they could have cena lose the belt and out of the title picture for a bit to let edge back in.

I know Cena off Raw would help their ratings.

I know Cena off Raw would help their ratings.

I disagree. He's still their top guy given Judgement day buy rate and you don't move your top guy from the show you portray as your top brand. I wouldn't move him off Raw in its current position at a time when the last thing you need is more upheaval.

Its not his fault the rating has fallen by 10% since the Benoit tragedy and moving him would not be a good move right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keyolanda

i think orton should win at summer slam and hold it for at least 5 months . or hold it majority of the time before wrestlemania 24 . hhh and orton for the title then . also look for ken kennedy to cash in a money in the bank suitcase at wrestle mania lol . and a cena heel turn isnt gonna happen just yet . hes a cash cow . it will eventually happen tho . as a heel he does have a healthy fan base . and his competence as a wrestler has always be seen in a different light as a heel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Orton will start acting the tool again if he gets this push and eventually the belt....

TRUE. that's why i voted NO.

These wrestlers (below) are the best active superstars in wwe right now. Well i reckon, anyway. I will not rank them, they come in any order for me.

Shelton Benjamin ---- Carlito ---- Lance Cade ---- Trevor Murdoch ---- Mr Kennedy ---- William Regal ---- Jeff Hardy
    MVP --- ( nearly all raw)

I reckon one or two of those guys above ( maybe all) should be getting a title shot before Orton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I disagree. He's still their top guy given Judgement day buy rate and you don't move your top guy from the show you portray as your top brand. I wouldn't move him off Raw in its current position at a time when the last thing you need is more upheaval.

Its not his fault the rating has fallen by 10% since the Benoit tragedy and moving him would not be a good move right now.
    Besides Cena is a merchandice selling machine and is as over as you can get with kids.I think the Benoit tradgedy is always going to keep the critics taking shot at wrestling and sadly some people believe the ****e the media come out with

I think the Benoit tradgedy is always going to keep the critics taking shot at wrestling and sadly some people believe the ****e the media come out with

The media aren't the only ones who have come out with ****e for the last 4 weeks. The WWE provided their fair share of it too. But thats for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's not really any other contenders as they've messed up Kennedy since he went there and Booker is flaffing about waiting until big nose comes back to destroy him á la WM19.

In my view, Orton doesn't deserve the belt. His matches this year have been very watchable but why reward bad behaviour? They already reward big, talentless meatheads. How much lower can the heavyweight title picture sink?

Keep the belt on Cena until WM24 I say. He's a great champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

There's not really any other contenders as they've messed up Kennedy since he went there and Booker is flaffing about waiting until big nose comes back to destroy him á la WM19.

To be fair, Booker really wasn't that great back then! He was decent at best and was in no way shape or form ready for the main event picture in 2003! (probably the reason why Lesnar/Angle went on after that match) They did see potential in Booker enough to give him a run with the IC belt later that year before having to drop it due to injury. So it was probably wise that they didn't push him at the time. Granted nobody could forsee the injury, but hindsight is always 20/20.
    In my view, Orton doesn't deserve the belt. His matches this year have been very watchable but why reward bad behaviour? They already reward big, talentless meatheads. How much lower can the heavyweight title picture sink?

Keep the belt on Cena until WM24 I say. He's a great champion.

Cena is not a great champion! He's limited, running on a stale gimmick and ultimately boring after the guts of two years.
    Cena, however is a great money maker due to his appeal to kids, which works well for gullable parents who just can't say no when it comes to kids wanting his expensive merchandise and even more expensive ticket prices to WWE house shows. As far as that end of the business is concerned, he's the Hulk Hogan for the new millenium.

As for being rewarded for bad behaviour. Let's see, RVD anyone? Given his track record from 2002 onwards? Piss all over the IC title publically, injure the top star in the company with a move he clearly wasn't sure he could pull off in that particular enviornment, spend most of 2003 complaining during interviews about how unhappy he was with the company (and then re-signing, unlike Jericho who also stated how unhappy he was, but didn't re-sign), spent a year out injured to be handed a new brands title on a silver platter upon his return, and then get busted for drugs posession. (And please don't go on about his only crime being caught! That's not even the point, the point is WWE tried time out of number with him and he blew it at every turn, the same point you're trying to make with Orton)

Good enough for Rob, Good enough for Orton! As you said, "big-nose" is coming back, so Orton will make a good transitional champion for now to test the water and see if he can actually do something with it other than botch it.

VR!

I don't know if they'd be rewarding bad behaviour by giving the belt to Orton. To be fair, we don't know the exact details of how he's been backstage other than that he was sent to anger management classes last year and he wrecked a hotel room this year. Maybe there was an explanation for why he went mad in the hotel that WWE accept, and maybe he's been a model employee before and after that. In that case they'd be rewarding good behaviour. Anyway, Orton never got in trouble with the law, which I would think is more serious, but someone like Steve Austin got a huge match at WM after being arrested. At the end of the day, it's all about what Vince thinks is good for business

I think I'd rather see Cena chase after the title too. The youngsters these days don't know what it's like to have your hero constantly be cheated out of the belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

In my oppinion, Orton taking the title off Cena would be brilliant. Sure Cena is the ultimate cash-cow in the business right now but kids are goanna come to see that and buy his merchandise no matter what. I think a good feud between him and maybe Mr. Kennedy or Booker would be great for the show. As long as it was away from the title. At the minute I'm sick of watching him week after week with no really interesting feud. As far as I can see all the WWE do when it comes time to choose a new challenger is think, who is goanna look best losing to Cena?

Anyway if Cena has all the talent people give him credit for, which I think he does, then I'm sure that a few months and a feud or two away from the World title wont kill his career.

Orton being the champion is a bit of a shaky subject, I'm not sure he's perfect for the job but I've got to agree he is a tremendous talent, in the past I have to admit I have been bored by Orton, bland was the best way to describe him, but nowadays I think he's ready, he's better than ever in the ring, on the mic his v.good, a little hit and miss, sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes ya feel like you've heard this speech a hundred times. But Orton being champion can only be good, if you look at Raw now there doesn't really seem to be any interest in the Tag Team or IC titles so the World is all that matters, and if you look at the company now compared to last year. It's in the same place... if not worst off.

Orton for Champ.... Then bring on Trips to challenge him for it. Win/Lose it'll be more interesting than watching Cena beat challengers for another 10 months straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whatever about Orton deserving this or not, Im hoping this is the beginning of a slow burning fued which leads to Wrestlemania where no doubt Cena will be Orton in the main event, after winning the Rumble.

That being said, as has been mentioned, HHH is back soon, so he will be involved in that mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I would love to see a proper fued between HHH & Orton.
    Last time was shítty enough with Evolution involved and Orton being a face.
    Keep tripps as a bad ass face and Orton as a nasty heel and go from there.

But that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I think that would be a really good idea, as long as Cena stays away from the title picture for a little while though then I'll be more than happy. It seems like WWE are getting into the habit of finding a champ, then just deciding, ah sure let’s let him do everything he could possibly do. Remember Trips as Chump? About a 6 month reign, lost it to HBK for a month, then another 5 month reign or something along those lines. It's basically the same thing that’s happening now.

They even tried it on SmackDown! having JBL hold the title for 10 months... To be fair he was probably the best world champion in the last 3-4 years. Amazing heel.

Trips vs. Orton for a couple of months would really help Orton too I think. Orton could come out of it being a true heel. If he faces off against Cena then we all know what's going to happen. The storyline is going to lack anything that could vaguely resemble substance and Orton will get beaten, no one will have cared what happened between them because it will just have been yet another Cena feud that the kiddies cheered for.

Anyway it looks to me as if Orton will be the champ, I just hope that by Christmas we are all back on boards talking about how Orton has really made the World Title scene on Raw interesting again, cause Cena damn sure isn't going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I really hope Orton wins at SS, I could care less about what kind of a person he is or what he allegedly has or hasn't done to his co-workers in the past... blah blah..

Fact is he's been one of the only entertaining things on Raw for me, over the last 6 months, along with Booker. The WWE is in a really dire situation at the moment regarding its ratings, SD is actually getting the same numbers as RAW, granted some of this is due to the Benoit tragedy, but with several top guys injured and fans obviously starting to get bored of the "John Cena Show" I really think they need to get the strap off Cena asap. I mean what else is there for the WWE to do with him at the moment? Keep feeding him guys who are far more talented than him, but he somehow manages to overcome the odds, once again, I don't think so... BORING..!!

Personally I didn't think Lashley was the man for the job and I was delighted he didn't win at the GAB, but surely Orton has to get it.

He's miles ahead of Lashley in terms of character and ability on the mike, and he's actually a good wrestler thats improved immensely over the last year. I love his new sadistic, aggressive, snake like mentality he's developed, he'd be a champ I'd love to hate if you know what I mean, not a champ I've just come to hate, i.e Cena. (I blame the WWE for this, not Cena)

Orton then successfully defends in the rematch at Unforgiven, by which time HHH has squashed Booker, turns his attention to Orton, beats him at Survivor Series, Orton wins back at Rumble where HBK wins the Rumble itself, and sets up an Orton HBK Mania main event.

Ok the last paragraph is a bit ridiculous, cause we know Cena won't feck off :mad: and Trips will have to be in the WM24 main event :rolleyes:, but its what I'd love too see over the next 8 months. Maybe all 4 in a HITC @ 24, I could live with that :D

Advertisement