Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inference of guilt

• 24-07-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Do you know that Act Mcdowell brought in where the jury could infer guilt by the accused not taking the stand in court? What is the status with this law in the US. I remember OJ never took the stand. Were the Jury in that case allowed to infer guilt from him not taking the stand?
    rgds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing adverse can be taken from the accused not taking the stand. If the defence believes that the prosecution have not met their burden of proof they don't even have to call any witnesses at all and allow the jury to assess the case purely on what evidence the prosecution presented.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Still, in relation to Irish Law, the Inferences from failure of accused person to mention particular facts. S. 30 new 19.A of 1984 CJ Act. As enacted by part 4 of the CJA 2007.

Not great really. I also know this is not what Tim was asking. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mention where? Garda Station, Court? Does this now amount to self incrimination?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Believe it stems from the Garda Station and then a jury takes consideration of same silence. I will post the text tomorrow from notes. Its enactment and extention of the 1984 act, as mentioned above.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bond-007 wrote:
    Mention where? Garda Station, Court? Does this now amount to self incrimination?

When being questioned in relation to the offence, or while being charged/informed they might be prosecuted. I think this includes the words at arrest and also anything said during interview. I would imagine that these sections are more trouble than they are worth because I think a caution is needed before each question is asked and this is would make it a laborious process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement