Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife Ranger Salary

• 24-07-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I was just wondering what the average wage for a wildlife ranger in Ireland is. I know they do a lot of overtime but I was just wondering about the basic. Also what would be the salary of a gamekeeper?

Cheers GS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

eh.. do you know anything about gamekeeping?
    It entails a bit more than patrolling with a gun and a dirty scowl you know...

As for wildlife ranger, its a public service job, so you should be able to find out the scales easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

Hi fits,

I didn't say anything about job description, I just asked a simple question. Obviously you have an opinion on the matter though!

cheers gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

wildlife ranger and gamekeeper seemed like a strange juxtaposition to me.

I've no clue how much gamekeepers earn, although I do know a couple. Personally, I'd rather be a wildlife ranger as I would think the salary and conditions would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Earlier this year either Wicklow CC or the Wicklow national park was looking for part time rangers for the summer season. I was very tempted to apply but the salary was in the low 20K's and only for about 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Rangers only get overtime for working Sundays and Bank holidays, the rest of the time they are rostered over 24/7 and get no unsocial hours pay. They can only work a 39 hour week, they have to take time in lieu if they go over that in a week. The money is not good, starting at around 19,000 and going up to a maximum of 39,000 with yearly increments. Still it's a pretty cool job if you don't mind being poor:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

The money is not good, starting at around 19,000 and going up to a maximum of 39,000 with yearly increments

over 30 grand a year??..........thats not bad

i'll take it, what qualifications do you need??

Offically a leaving cert and a full clean driving licence. Ideally a 3rd level qualification in Environmental science, zoology or ecology. If you are wildlife nut like me and gained all your knowledge through experience and self teaching, well that might work too. Another good way is to apply for a job as a guide in the Wicklow Mountains National Park, they usually go on to become Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

philstar wrote:

It helps to be the offspring of an existing Ranger;)

Me thinks i knows you;) Would you be the son of a retired Ranger? CB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

philstar wrote:
    over 30 grand a year??..........thats not bad

That figure could well be after xx years of service.....don't set your sights on it starting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

If your first question is regarding wages ,you may need to reconsider.
    Salarys of Gamekeepers vary from estate to estate,but it you have any intrest in becoming one you will have to forget about it as a way to make money.
    For a beatkeeper or underkeeper its the basic agricultural wage but will vary between jobs, average is about €20k-€21k.Single handed and headkeeepers will be earning more.
    There are benifits , usually a house of some description and depending on the size, a vehicle a quad or 4 wheel drive and food for your dogs.

Its a job done for the love of what you do with long hours in the summer, shorter in the winter but with the added stress of having to provide X many birds for X many days for the duration of the season. Plus you will not have weekends or christmas off, holidays are usually grabbed when things have quitened down in March or April. There is NO overtime.
    I have a good many years in the game so if you would like any info send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Sorry for all this extra info but im a civil servant with not much else to do today. Anyone with an idea of when the next panel for rangers will be formed. There should be one due soon (year or so) but I havnt got a reply from the NPWS when I email them.

This is the payscale for the Conservation Ranger jobs:

District Conservation Officers obviously get paid more and as far as i know there are a lot of oppertunities for Rangers to get promoted to these posts.

Ecologists get paid well but you more than likely need a Phd and these jobs are fairly rare.

Also jobs for Wildlife Inspectors, but no idea what these do but would guess mostly admin (licences, databases etc.).

Mod Note: Figures removed at the request of the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

Thanks Thehairyone,

That is exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

cheers GS

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Hi,

If anyones interested, an advertisement for Conservation Rangers has been placed on Public Jobs.ie. As far as I know they usually make a panel that lasts for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Lousy - that is what rangers will tell you their salary is. New conservation rangers in NPWS starting at €20K are called 'yellow-pack' rangers. Yellow pack being the cheapest poor quality fodder you could get in supermarkets years ago. Considering that all these guys have 3rd level qualifications and are expected to assess planning applications, take prosecutions, manage projects, work nights and weekends (no overtime)- the wages are a joke. There's so few of them that Impact their union isn't willing to fight for them. Have a look at their newsletter to find out more:
    http://www.the-rai.com/Ranger%20newsletter%2018th%20July%2007.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement