Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVY under the fascia and soffit (Spelling???)

Options
  • 24-07-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭

Lads I was just wondering if there was an easy way of stopping the ivy from growing under the fascia? Do you just have to cut it back every so often? If that's the case I reckon killing the thing would probably be the best???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had this problem when I moved into my current house 2 years ago. I had planned to cut it back every so often but in the end I located the main stem and chopped it with an axe. In a few weeks the whole lot had withered and was easier to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for the quick reply, the thing is my dad actually planted the ivy himself and he reckons it looks nice (I kinda agree with him) so if there was an easy way to keep it under control I'd probably prefer that than killing the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You'll just have to get up a ladder and cut it back. Keep an eye on it though as ivy can grow quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The short answer is no, there's no easy way of keeping it under control. You need to cut it across each season well below the soffits, but it is extremely vigorous and it will also grow thicker as you trim the ends so you could end up with a very thick and heavy mass of foliage. I would say remove it, ivy is a bit of a liability anywhere and especially on a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

GaryCocs, what kind of ivy is it?
    Is it an ivy at all, as quite a few creeping/climbing plants get labeled with the IVY name.
    What is its growth rate?
    This will dictate your pruning regime or possible removal.
    Is it something like Hedera helix 'Glacier' Ultimate height 2.5mtrs
    or is it more like Hedera canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo' Ultimate height 4 mtrs

• Advertisement
Advertisement