Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engines for bicycles - any fuel

Options
  • 24-07-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is aware of Irish companies selling engines for bicycles?

I've seen some electric options and petrol options (from the US - Tecumseh 49er', Mitsubishi ENCORE, Robin Subaru 4-cycle Engine), but wondered if anything similar is available back home.

I have a Scott hybrid which I'd like to continue to use, so spending a lot of money for a new bike with the engine doesn't interest me.

I'd be interested in using it for commuting to work more often as running the car will only get even more expensive in the coming months/years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've often wondered why those semi-motorised bicycles you see in rural French towns never made much of an impression here...
    scaldybelt wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is aware of Irish companies selling engines for bicycles?

I've seen some electric options and petrol options (from the US - Tecumseh 49er', Mitsubishi ENCORE, Robin Subaru 4-cycle Engine), but wondered if anything similar is available back home.

I have a Scott hybrid which I'd like to continue to use, so spending a lot of money for a new bike with the engine doesn't interest me.

I'd be interested in using it for commuting to work more often as running the car will only get even more expensive in the coming months/years.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Some of those US petrol engines look to have a great spec for cruising speed and range. The range on the electric engines isn't as good, but I'm sure the technology will be improved in the near future as we pass $100 a barrel!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Legally, if it has a motor, it is not longer a bicycle and needs insurance, driving licence, etc.

The only exception I understand is a ped-elec, i.e. a motorised bicycle where the motor only boosts pedalling and won't operate under its own propulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Victor wrote:
    Legally, if it has a motor, it is not longer a bicycle and needs insurance, driving licence, etc.

That might be the law but we all know the majority of gardai are totally ignorant of road laws, therefore you are probably unlikely to be caught.

I still see the traffic cops letting "buses" down the bus lanes in the morning while stopping cars, seems all you have to do is get a people carrier and paint "mickos bus" on the side and you swan on by.

If I had a motor and was stopped I would blag my way out, blind them with bull**** eg "well actually garda under section 8.1a of the road traffic act a motor under 45hp is allowed",

"on your way son"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Those electric bikes seemed to be all the rage a few years ago, and then nothing. Anything to do with the law/a clampdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Probably more to do with the easy access to cheap credit for cars and the increasing perceived danger to cyclists on the nations roads.

I personally would prefer to see the authorities clamping down on the illegal drivers and dangerous motorists rather than a few savvy commuters on their pushbikes getting healthy and saving the environment and their hard earned cash. Surely the benefit to the state in fines and reduced carnage is worth the effort?
    But then again this is Ireland, so I should shut up and save for my new helicopter.

Advertisement