Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Sharepoint Services

Options
  • 24-07-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a small question , has anyone ever used Microsoft Sharepiont Services to set up and manage an internal website. To encompass security and display?

Any references to decent documentation or past experience would help.

Cheers
    Owen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I have used Sharepoint Portal Server for our intranet yes.. never developed soley for SPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What do you think of it ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A simple windows sharepoint services intranet site for a small group of users is quite simple to setup, a microsoft office sharepoint server portal with more advanced features can be much more complicated.

The windows sharepoint services site and the microsoft office sharepoint server are a good place to start to get an idea of what both do (essentially MOSS is layered on top of WSS providing more advanced features) and which you need. The sites have overviews, feature comparisons and help and how-to's. The virtual labs are a great way to get a quick intro and some hands on examples. (do the installation and feature walkthroughs first)

Googling "sharepoint forums" and "sharepoint blogs" turns up some usefull resources too.

If you can be more specific about what you're trying to do I could provide some extra info and some more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ours is fairly extensive with a lot of systems built into it and off it... As stated above the basic site stuff can be a doddle.. more complex and you start needing to know your stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers folks ...I am a bit swamped with other stuff at present so I will have to walk though those later Steven but thanks it is much appericiated.

Essentially we have an intranet site comprised of a lot of asp and interactive elements. What we where hoping is to basically re-create our current site but have it hanging of Sharepoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnnyDubrovnik

Hi Zambia232,

Windows Shared Services is an ideal tool for setting up a secure internal web site. Like some of your other replies said, it comes in a couple of versions. For previous releases WSS v2, the security is quite simplistic, but in the new WSS v3 version, the security model has been overhauled... and it was much needed.

Depending on what you really want to achieve out of SharePoint, the out of the box stuff is fairly easy to get up and running. For a small company, its usually easy to manage. For larger organisations a coherent Governance Plan should be drawn up and implemented to make sure that the platform is been used correctly and each user will have a role, even if it is only as reader/visitor, and it should not as used a document dumping ground.

To get up and running go to www.microsoft.com/sharepoint

Advertisement