Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorator - Market rate

Options
  • 24-07-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Quick question, is €300 a day about right for a painter decorator ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

To me it's a little on the high side, €37 euro per hour.
    I'd expect <€33.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is this cash in hand or through the books? Also depends on the nature of the job,what are you getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Job entails stripping wallpaper in hall/stairs/landing and putting up lining paper in bedroom then painting the lot. 500 for materials 1500 for 5 days labour, 2k total, 1700 cash price. Not sure if this is OTT or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well to be honest,he is probably covering himself for the stripping,it can be a nightmare,you never know what will fall out or crumble,plus he has to make walls good after stripping. This can be a job in itself....Is he doing it by himself or has he got help.

How old is the house,do you know if walls are dry lined or are they skimmed in the H/S/L?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Also may depend on your location....if you're in Dublin rates are a bit higher and if you've lads coming from outside the city to work in the city then that too will get tacked onto the day rate (have to account for time in traffic, fuel, tolls etc). Usual going rate for Dublin last time I overheard was in and around the 250 mark...about half that would go directly to wage, the rest tax/benefits, insurance, profit to the contractor. With the way overheads are increasing then 300 mightn't be that far off the mark

I'll tell you one thing, if I could get 300 quid for an 8 hour stretch I'd be doing 24 hrs a day. Hard enough to get half that. Cleaners can demand a higher hourly rate than decorators lately...

[edit] Just saw the job includes wallpaper removal....a minefield. Most guys I work(ed) for would only price the job for removing the paper first. The give a separate price for the re-dec. So easy to get caught out with plaster falling off, multiple layers and a whole litany of other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

get him to price the job as a job lot IMO, best way

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Don't know what rate you should pay but I have recently stripped wallpaper and painted over it and the preparation is a nightmare, so if it is done right its good value, if its done right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

It is a little bit expensive,But there is a lot of work involved and you want it dont right by the right people,Offer 1500 cash

My old man is a decorator BTW

Advertisement