Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Airsoft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Omg thats a great site :o, Hope to go whenever the opening day is more than likely will unless it is on the week i go on holiday to Egypt :/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Irish Trinity

you could have an amazing Assault and Defend game there put a base in the end of the place surrounded but the rock faces;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mark_Sc

Yea, looks amazing lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

looks savage, ya lucky ho's are now spoilt for choice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I wish we could get some updates on rentals, prices and opening hours soon because everyone seems to be going to HRTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's look good alright. Might pay it a visit on Sunday (HRTA on Saturday)

Oh, and Voodoo, I have nothing to do with the setup of this site. If I'd seen a suitable site, and there wasn't already a site in North Dublin, I would probably would have set one up. I had also given serious thought to being a retailer as well, but determined it was too risky at the moment. Oh damn, I'm going off topic. Sorry.

Ah, cool.
    Well looks like were all going to HRTA then. But that site is going to be great if it gets setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm waiting to get my new gear sorted and my old gear sold before I go to a game again.

Really missing it!

The site looks really interesting from those pictures. A village would be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

no hassle with the pics, i was posting them anyway, just didnt get around to getting them onto my laptop as the person with the sd card is out of action injured so i cant get them. Ive tonnes of pics from up on the top of the cliffs and from everywhere you can think of taking in the whole site. The pics dont realy do the sites size much justice, its bigger then it looks in the pics. the open qurry area at the back alone is huge.

there will be at least 6 rental guns avail this weekend,
    Prices are the same as HRTA,
    Masks and helmets are avail,
    And there should be 7 or 8 bags of BB's avail for purchase too.

Any orders from Asia at the min are being delayed due to severe storms and shipping has suffered, thats why there arent more.

The open space at the back is were the village is going to be in the future with small trenches and mounds on the perimiter of it like something from Band of Brothers. The only issue with that is as im sure Casper will back up is that materials to build a village can be very expensive, (from what i can remember from speaking to the lads is that the one in predator cost over 5 grand) so some money needs to be made back first.

The heavy bush in the middle to the right as you walk along the road in will have paths cut into it with a strimmer soon enough and the truck will be made safer for use in games with the tanker such as hold the position for an alloted time while the truck is repaired etc.

Any offers of a helping hand are much apritiated and if you ring the mobile number above and speak to John i'm sure he'll gladly accept as i wont be around to help out this week.

any news on age limit?

• Advertisement

not sure as i dont have the details of the insurance.
    If you ring the number in the first post you can ask John.
    It could well be the same as HRTA though

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lots of potential in that, well done lads. Ill be sure to make use of the site when its up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JOHN MC

any news on age limit?
    IRISH WHAT AGE ARE U

pm'ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only issue with that is as im sure Casper will back up is that materials to build a village can be very expensive, (from what i can remember from speaking to the lads is that the one in predator cost over 5 grand) so some money needs to be made back first.
    You should talk to local builders and suppliers they always have stuff left over that's no good to them and would be happy to give it away for free just so they don't have to pay to dump it legaly. Is there a renovating and building forum, ask there. A friend of mine in the UK built a bar completely out of recycled material, he didn't pay a penny for any of it and it looked class.

Things like old prefabs would get allot of wear and taer and need to be replaced on a regular basis.

We were thinking that ourselves when we went up, it costs a lot even just to build a small room. And the likes of breeze blocks ain't cheap.

That area where the village is going is the perfect location, we said that too. But is most of the ground around there not extremely rocky? It'll be no easy task digging through that without the right machinery.

The site also needs a good bit of chopping back, with paths and laneways cut through all the dense shrubbery. I love the idea of old prefabs, they could be unbelievable...

And yes the site is far far bigger than it looks, the second picture is the best indicator of the sheer size of it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

for starters staw/ hay bales can be used stacked about four high to make a myriad of cover or even to simulate a village. have done it myself as a nipper making forts and such and dammit they were fun :)

building sites are good scavanging grounds as have been mentioned . what about local businesses??? pallets make great building material. Make a 2x4 wooden frame and fix the pallets to them you could then stretch and staple a sheet of tarp or canvas ovwr this to cover the holes and you'd have a pretty sturdy structure.

also a ruined village might be cheaper to make and you could dig craters etc into it for added cover and lots of character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

the second picture is the best indicator of the sheer size of it. :D

Just after giving that picture a closer look...wow, you're right. It looks huge!

I wonder how long they have the lease for? As well as man made cover, they could maybe think about planting some quick growing foliage that could have tracks cut through.

Would be nice and cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We were thinking that ourselves when we went up, it costs a lot even just to build a small room. And the likes of breeze blocks ain't cheap.

That area where the village is going is the perfect location, we said that too. But is most of the ground around there not extremely rocky? It'll be no easy task digging through that without the right machinery.
    If you want to make good solid house's labour will be expensive, health and safty will come into it and price does soar.
    pallets make great building material. Make a 2x4 wooden frame and fix the pallets to them you could then stretch and staple a sheet of tarp or canvas ovwr this to cover the holes and you'd have a pretty sturdy structure.
    That's the one, sounds sturdy enough that you wouldn't even need much in the way of foundation and easy to do, no skilled labor involved.

• Advertisement

for pallets see if the Drogheda port company are feeling generous as they have a lot of them coming in and out the whole time. 2X4 wouldn't require foundation and as you dont need to put on a roof there would be no worries about anything collapsing on anyone.

also many local businesses use pallets for delivery and discard them so just asking around the shops might yield some good results.

did you guys say you are getting a digger in does that mean we'll be seeing trenches bunkers and craters :)

True, wood and pallets are probably the way to go. Thing is they look absolutely rubbish and there's no realism with small buildings made out of scrap.

I long for the day someone actually builds a breeze-block city, you can't beat urban warfare. Shooting through trees in mud gets old very quickly...

trenches are planned for the perimiter of the village area, think of old wartime towns with cover dug around them. prefabs is something i havnt thought of at all. would be good. wont be using blocks though, to costly. the scrub will have paths cut through soon enough. need to get a good strimmer

thing is if you want realism you do have to pay for it although it can be somewhat achieved on a budget. if you were to use pallets as a base and then nail on a plasterboard facade you could skud and plaster it ( when i say plaster i mean a rough cement coat and that this would give you the concrete effect at a minimal cost but it would still be expensive enough. so basically look at the village as a shanty town as these are universal and ubiquitous in combat zones lets face it war doesnt make millionaires out of the locals. and rebels etc. are usually housed by the poor and the destitute in such installations.

you could try getting some of the old redundant 20 foot containers and then, take an angle grinder to them to make entrances and windows.

oh and sorry to ask but well just want to know about the facilities. will there be toilets or is it a case of find a quiet spot in the woods and bring a shovel :D :eek:

There's a portaloo by the front gate. Also, if it rains, there's nowhere to go at the moment and there's been no word from the owner either so i'm not really surprised no one seems to be going this Sat...

Their Will Be A Tent Put Up On The Site
    But For The Time Being A Gazebo Will Have To Do
    The Reason There's No Word Is Cause The Owner
    Is On Site By Himself Trying To Sort Things Out

SOrry if that came across harsh, it wasn't mean to.
    I'd gladly go if others were going too, but according to the poll on the main page there is no-one going. :(

I know what you mean mate.
    I'd be heading up this weekend but i have a date set in predator which is mah regular haunt. this place is great looking though and i plan on filling its rental quota in the next 2 weeks to give it boost.

I wonder should people go to the press to advertise this???
    on second thoughts no. media hates us and of course theres always the probability of spreading the word to those undesirables who would do nothing but jeopardise the sport.

SOrry if that came across harsh, it wasn't mean to.
    I'd gladly go if others were going too, but according to the poll on the main page there is no-one going. :(

its not harsh its just wen ur trying to sort out everything on ur own
    + with 3 kids it isn't easy any help would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

JOHN MC wrote:
    its not harsh its just wen ur trying to sort out everything on ur own
    + with 3 kids it isn't easy any help would be great

Kids = Cheap labour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement