Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware advice appreciated.

Options
  • 24-07-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Shuttle SS31T Barebone I am going to buy this little baby and I was wondering will the items mentioned below work with it?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    I know this runs on the same socket that the barebones has but it can't hurt to ask :).

This ram I assume it will .

8600 GTS
    I wonder the most about this...

Please inform me of possible compatibility issues. Oh and offer advice on my back up (I will be buying the same graphics card)

My back up (sweet processor)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Good job you asked as that chip has a 1033mhz FSB and that mobo only supports up to 800mhz FSB.

Also not sure if the 250W PSU would push that along satisfactorally.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Damn! Thank you Inquitus! A bullet has been dodged. The back up it is than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not sure about the 8600GTS and the PSU in that to be honest but I;d say if your on a tight budget your better off getting an 8600GT as it does not need the external power connector from the PSU as it is powered solely by the PCI-e slot.

Edit Oh yeah the mobo in that Shuttle bare bones most likely will not support the Core 2 though I'm just checking at the moment.

Okay with the latest bios installed the SS31T supports the Core 2 E4300, E4400, E4500 and E2160 & thats it plus the system will not post with those CPU's unless the bios has been updated to the latest so that means you need an earlier P4 or Celeron CPU to update bios if it wasn't already at the latest.

I think I will buy the bundle I mentioned at the bottom of my first post and the ram but What about This graphics card?

I like what I'm seeing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 8600GTS isn't really worth it compared to the X1950Pro purely for games as the X1950 Pro can be found cheaper and is faster but the catch is Komplett dont have any in stock. However you can buy one on Dabs and with delivery it still works out cheaper than the 8600GTS.

Edit: Corrected typo meant 8600GTS

• Advertisement

X1950 is faster? I did notice that it has double the ram and a 256 bit bus width while the nVidia only has 128.

Does this suport directX 10? If it does that baby is as good as bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

X1950 has no DX10 support, tho initial reports find DX10 so demanding that none of the current GPU's (inc the 8800GTX) will be able to push DX10 games along.

From what I have read I believe that certainly none of the midrange cards of the current generation (including the 8600GTS you mention) have the power to use DX10 anyways, and as such i would recommend you take the X1950 over the 8600GTS.

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    X1950 has no DX10 support, tho initial reports find DX10 so demanding that none of the current GPU's (inc the 8800GTX) will be able to push DX10 games along.

From what I have read I believe that certainly none of the midrange cards of the current generation (including the 8600GTS you mention) have the power to use DX10 anyways, and as such i would recommend you take the X1950 over the 8600GTS.

Inqui

Alright :). Thank you for your help and for yours 8T8.

One more question.

Whats the difference between the card linked above by 8T8 and This one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

If you can afford/fit it, go for this GPU. It will be far better then the other cards and doesn't cost too much extra $$$. Of course, if you're really worried about future DX10 performance, get one of the cheaper cards mentioned above and upgrade when the next generation hits. A beefier PSU is a must. If you're set on a case/PSU combe , try this . If not, buy them seperately.

• Advertisement

One more question.

Whats the difference between the card linked above by 8T8 and This one.

MSI have stuck on their own dual slot cooler, and bumped the price up of course

I have a 400w power sitting right next to me. It should do just fine :).

I shall investigate all of the cards mentioned :).

What make is it? Also check the sticker on the side for the current supplied on the 12V rails.

Advertisement