Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever tried a depreciation account

Options
  • 24-07-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Wondering does anyone here keep a depreciation account specific to their car?

This is something I've been thinking about recently, that instead of continually financing cars through bank loans etc, I might hold on to my current car for a few years longer than I normally would, and start putitng away a consistent amount per week for depreciation e.g. €75 or whatever.

I figure this way in the long run I will have a little more control over what I'm spending on depreciation of my car, and the money can earn interest for me, rather than for a bank/finance co. I know that this will take a couple of years of double paying, but has anyone else ever tried doing this? I figure this will amount to approx 3.5k per year and should therefore cover reasonable depreciation and I shouldn't ever venture into a deal on a car that will cost me more than I want to spend. i.e. if I only ever upgrade a car with money from this account.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've only ever once borrowed for a car, and that was a long time ago and over a very short term. I'm quite happy to borrow for a business or for property but if I can't buy a car outright then as far as i'm concerned I can't afford it. At the end of the day a car is a consumable, much like clothes, food, holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Anan1 wrote:
    I've only ever once borrowed for a car, and that was a long time ago and over a very short term. I'm quite happy to borrow for a business or for property but if I can't buy a car outright then as far as i'm concerned I can't afford it. At the end of the day a car is a consumable, much like clothes, food, holidays etc.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it :)

To me a car is much more than a consumable, and not anything like clothes, food or holidays... it's better than that :p

To the OP, I never heard of any friends doing this. Are you planning on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

ciarsd wrote:
    To the OP, I never heard of any friends doing this. Are you planning on it?
    Yes, it's a radical concept called saving. Used mainly in pre-celtic tiger/easy credit days when you wanted to buy something.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

bbbbb wrote:
    Yes, it's a radical concept called saving. Used mainly in pre-celtic tiger/easy credit days when you wanted to buy something.
    :D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciarsd wrote:
    To me a car is much more than a consumable, and not anything like clothes, food or holidays... it's better than that :p
    Maybe my examples weren't the best. I just didn't want to say hookers & coke, ok?;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement