Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats up with Quinn Direct

Options
  • 24-07-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I've been with them for over 2 years.

I phoned them today because i passed my driving test a few weeks back,

I was paying 1400+ and i checked on there web site and my new quote should be 860,, the lady tells me it's now 1200+ ?

I explained i could buy it cheaper from you online... whats going on.. starting telling me in April (thats when my policy started) thats what the prices where.... doesn't matter how many times i tried to explaine about the price she wasn't moving...

So i had to ring up again Cancle my current policy and buy a new one to save around 400 ... this madness... why do they make it so hard?

I know i have to pay a 50 cancle fee..but i saved more in the long run ..

anyone else have anything like this with Quinn ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Your mistake was not going with a different company altogether :)

I was about 3 weeks from the end of my policy when I passed my test so I didn't have that problem luckily enough. My renewal quote was exactly as it would have been on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I have a policy with them yet to start till the end of the month. Today I said "screw it" and for the craic, did the quote up again on their site. 10% cheaper than I paid 3 days ago. :rolleyes:

So I rang them and gave new quote number and she said she would "match" (yeah, match their own quote, fcking w0ot) and then said, oh no sorry, you seem to be logged into the site, or the quote is still active, (wtf?) So she said ring back later. :o :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Every time my insurance was up for renewal with quinn direct (was with them for 4 years) the automatic renewal quote was at least €100 greater than the online quote. Each time I phoned up and threatened to cancel the renewal, and each time they backed down and gave me the web price. One time I couldn't get any movement from one of the call centre staff so I hung up and called again, and got the discount from someone else.

I was even told once that the differential was caused by the renewal charges being calculated a month before the expiry of the policy, so they calculated it with 1 years less NCB and driving experience as the anniversary of each hadn't come around yet.

This time (two weeks ago) the quote came through the letter box, with the usual, "you don't have to do anything. We'll do it all for you" guff, and they were quoting €200 over the web price (Fully comp on a Volvo S80 2.0L turbo) and €300 more than Hibernian. I phoned them up and expected the usual banter, ending up with them at least matching their own web price, and maybe even matching Hibernian. This time for some reason there was no budging them. They said that the web price was a discounted rate for new menbers only, and was not available to me. Hibernian were cheaper, and did free windscreen cover, breakdown assist and "get me home" cover, so there's a Hibernian disk in the window of the Volvo this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Ive been stuck with them for the pasat four years due to a claim that was unfinished, now though im finding it very hard to get a cheaper quote from anyone else. Though i did find out britton will quote me on a detomaso pantera!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

If you use and internet quote, the systems in Quinn wont let the agents access the quote for about 30 mins or more.

Always do an online quote, and if they refuse to budge, just ask to speak to a supervisor and say you are going to write in a letter of complaint, as you could just get your current policy to lapse and take the internet quote.

They usually back down then to avoid a written complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you complete an online quote and get a reference number from it, they have to give it to you at that price within a reasonable timeframe. With QD, reasonable is apparently 24 hours. They're still the only affordable insurer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Quinn where the cheapest for me when I started. I stayed with them for 2 years, my renewal was due in march so I did the usual shop around and britton insurance where cheapest if you use their site. I have used that line, I seen it cheaper on your site and a few times the quote would be 150 - 200 cheaper with a few insurance companies. So its worth mentioning it too them, but they may ask for the quote id. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Oh dear, where do I start.

Going through a fiasco at the moment which blatantly shows QD's incomprehensible lack of customer service and proper staff communication and training.

Recently bought a new car with one month to go until renewal is up. Rang QD several times and was told that switching insurance temporarily is no problem and wont cost anything. Got an email which led me to believe the same.

So I ring them up and they refuse cover. After arguing, the finally give in but charge me over €50 (for two weeks temp cover). Made a complaint about being told numerous times I dont have to pay and then told I have to.

Manager gets back to me today saying basically tough ****, that's our policy, email isnt "specific", and conveniently they also have "no record" of me having rang them at any time, ever.

I am escalating the matter to the Financial Ombudsman and will be getting onto the Insurance Information crowd. Doubt I'll actually get anywhere though.

Quinn Direct are all fine and dandy until they have to do anything other than click the "charge" button.

Seriously, stay away from this shower of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

On Brittons site insurance on my own car is about 50% more than what im paying with quinn direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My dad was quoted €496 with Quinn on a 1.0 Yaris last month, when Hibernian gave a quote of €293 including breakdown, windscreen and FULLY protected NCB.

Quinn are a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

rowanh wrote:
    On Brittons site insurance on my own car is about 50% more than what im paying with quinn direct.

Same here.
    Quinn quoting me 850 for next year, Britton quote is 1450!!!

Full license, 2 yrs no claim on almera diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

rowanh wrote:

Wait a day or two - Britton always send you an email later to say......further to your recent quotation, we have now manually recalculated the following quote for you.... (or something along those lines). In my experience the new manual quote usually comes down about 50% or so - cheaper than most others anyway:)
    Dunno why but its happened to me at last three times when paying around with their site - although i've never actually got insured through them ...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I have a policy with them yet to start till the end of the month. Today I said "screw it" and for the craic, did the quote up again on their site. 10% cheaper than I paid 3 days ago. :rolleyes:

So I rang them and gave new quote number and she said she would "match" (yeah, match their own quote, fcking w0ot) and then said, oh no sorry, you seem to be logged into the site, or the quote is still active, (wtf?) So she said ring back later. :o :rolleyes:

Yeah they use the same backend for the website and the employees. If you logged out she could log into your new quote using the quote number you would give her (the one you wrote down from the website before you logged out of course) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

If you use and internet quote, the systems in Quinn wont let the agents access the quote for about 30 mins or more.

Always do an online quote, and if they refuse to budge, just ask to speak to a supervisor and say you are going to write in a letter of complaint, as you could just get your current policy to lapse and take the internet quote.

They usually back down then to avoid a written complaint.

You dont have to wait 30 minutes for the agents to be able to login. It happened to me and when i logged out they logged in as we discussed it on the fone. Only delay was the agent logging in use the Ref No. i gave her'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Elessar wrote:
    So I ring them up and they refuse cover. After arguing, the finally give in but charge me over €50 (for two weeks temp cover). Made a complaint about being told numerous times I dont have to pay and then told I have to.

I am escalating the matter to the Financial Ombudsman and will be getting onto the Insurance Information crowd. Doubt I'll actually get anywhere though.

Going from experience with QD here, when changing a car over on the policy to a newer car you will always be charged a set fee of which I think is €56. This happened to me a while back and I accepted it for what it was, an admin fee or whatever they want to call it.

It doesn't make a difference if you have one month or 11 months left on your policy, the charge will always be the same. Judging from the info provided in your post it seems that you just don't like being charged what everyone else is charged, I don't see the issue there to be honest. Certainly not enough to hound the Financial Ombudsman over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by Elessar

Quinn Direct are all fine and dandy until they have to do anything other than click the "charge" button.

Seriously, stay away from this shower of idiots.
    Stick with the 'official' route of ombundsman and communicate with QD. I had serious grief with them a few years back regarding being misquoted by them and the inconsistencies between their staff. I had to pay up front as I was stuck, but I persisted and f@cked them out of their money, the cheating robbing c@nts.

Never been back since, never will, now I'm slightly older ;), most others are cheaper with decent customer service (AA, Hibernian) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yeah if you get a cheaper online quote take down the quote number and they have they give it to you. If they dont just hang up and hope someone else answers the phone. it all depends who you get.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well I have seen it all now! Someone unhappy with QD?

If every insurance company in Ireland decided to quit the motor insurance market, I would either drive uninsured or just not drive at all. I woudn't give them my business no matter what!

kbannon wrote:
    Well I have seen it all now! Someone unhappy with QD?

If every insurance company in Ireland decided to quit the motor insurance market, I would either drive uninsured or just not drive at all. I woudn't give them my business no matter what!

Once i hit my 5year NCB mark im outta there. actually when it come to renewal time i might leave. They ****ed up my no clams bonus cos i moved and changed from a ROI policy to a NI policy. Then they started ringing me lookin for my proof on no claims. Now I work in Quinn (unfortunatly) and even i thought this was stupid. I rang the Team Leader of the girl who was trying to ring me. Gave her my old policy number and told her that if they took 4 seconds and looked they can see ive been with them for a few years. Got apologies and it sorted but that was cos i work there.

I pity those who arnt experienced with this sort of thing, they will be given the runaround so much. Now cos ive been workin there for two years, the amount of problems i encounter on a daily basis is staggering. i cant actually give details cos ill get into trouble if someone from work found out.

all ill say is check your document details carefully, esp value of car and spelling of names and address as these are common typos. and if going direct debit. CHECK THE FIGURES and check your bank statements.

and Quinn arnt the only one who make mistake, my friend who was with Axa had major probs cos she insured her 06 Astra with them, giving the value as 24,000. They made a mistake and had it at 2,400 and when she claimed they gave her a run around untl she made a formal complaint.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

and Quinn arnt the only one who make mistake, my friend who was with Axa had major probs cos she insured her 06 Astra with them, giving the value as 24,000. They made a mistake and had it at 2,400 and when she claimed they gave her a run around untl she made a formal complaint.
    Without a doubt, QD aren't the only ones to make mistakes. They just make lots and lots more given the anecdotal evidence. However, they also tried to shaft me by commencing a policy without my request and then came looking for money. I have heard loads of similar tales since.
    Nowadays, I wouldn't waste a phonecall ringing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Keith K

hi, brother drove an imported civic iLS,nobody would insure him(17 year old) paid quinn direct 5400 euro third party first year (i know, i know),year later went on internet and saw his renewal should be about 2800, happy days he says!
    renewal came and it was 3100 or 3200
    he complained and quinn direct said that it was because it was a jap import it was more expensive to insure, he agreed that but asked her to justify the 300/400 price hike. she couldnt justify it insisting they use the same internet based system and that he must have messed up on internet.
    he told her to shove the policy up her arse that he wouldnt be renewing

20 minutes later they rang back apologizing and upgraded him to fully comp with windscreen cover for 2800!!!!

i drive a tdi mondeo, first car, its very fast and i have no previous exp
    britton insurance 4500 third party
    axa 2600 third party
    hibernian wont quote
    mike murphy ins 2600 third party

quinn direct 1250 fully comp!!!!!

they are a weird owl insurance company ill give them that

Keith K wrote:
    hi, brother drove an imported civic iLS,nobody would insure him(17 year old) paid quinn direct 5400 euro third party first year (i know, i know),year later went on internet and saw his renewal should be about 2800, happy days he says!
    renewal came and it was 3100 or 3200
    he complained and quinn direct said that it was because it was a jap import it was more expensive to insure, he agreed that but asked her to justify the 300/400 price hike. she couldnt justify it insisting they use the same internet based system and that he must have messed up on internet.
    he told her to shove the policy up her arse that he wouldnt be renewing

20 minutes later they rang back apologizing and upgraded him to fully comp with windscreen cover for 2800!!!!

i drive a tdi mondeo, first car, its very fast and i have no previous exp
    britton insurance 4500 third party
    axa 2600 third party
    hibernian wont quote
    mike murphy ins 2600 third party

quinn direct 1250 fully comp!!!!!

they are a weird owl insurance company ill give them that

Hate to tell ya, Mike Murphy is a broker and prob got the same quote from quinn and added on the rest for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm with Mike at the moment and they have a few insurance companies they work with.

Quinn as far as I can see only suits the younger driver as they are really the only people you can turn to that will insure them. If your over 25 with a full license don't other with them. The problem is as there's no one else who will give a quote so they hike their fee's to the moon. I'm with them until my renewal comes up in November and then i'm outta there. Britton quoted me €900 on a 2.2 litre Prelude, says it all.

The thing I don't get is how did they justify charging me €3500 3rd party for my first year on a civic and one of my neighbours who has the exact same car and happens to be the same age get's it for €3000. I called up about this and got the two fingers although they couldn't explain it.

Tbh they treated me like ****, they deserve everyone leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

haha, I had to go with quinn last year as it was my first year driving.
    Was 21, Full license, No NCB and it cost me 1,500 TPFT
    Last month I upgrade to a VZR, Quinn were 60e more expensive than Axa FC!
    So, I got Fully Comp with Axa for 1,221 . the only hit im taking is the open drive extension on the policy (Have to be 25 or older with AXA).

Also, when i was supposed to renew my policy, i rang quinn up the day before the renewal date, turns out they automatically renewed the policy for me! They were certainly disappointed when I cancelled the policy and then the DD.

For young drivers they are good, just dont have an accident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

When I got my car I rang up Quinn. I was 10 days from turning 21, was on my second provisional having had around 15 hours of lessons over two and a half years and they quoted me around e3500 for a 1L Peugeot 106.

I told the girl on the phone that I was 10 days from turning 21 (1 day in the difference made about e400 worth of a difference, I checked and if I put down that I turned 21 the previous day it was e3500, if I put down that it was my birthday the next day it was e3900).

I also pointed out that if I put in that the value of the car was e2000 it was around e4000, if I put in that the value of the car was e2001 it was around e3500...

(the euro symbol doesn't work on this computer...)

When I asked her was there anything she could do with regards to the fact that 1 euro difference in the value of the car was of no consequence to the insurance itself she told me that the car was worth whatever it was deemed to be by age and model, I asked her what that was, she said they don't have lists like that to check. I'd have to get it valued myself...

I asked "If I were to be in an accident then how would Quinn calculate the value of the car". She said they'd check the list...

I asked her what was the story with the age? If Quinn could insure me for e400 cheaper in 10 days then could she do anything to match that quote now given that 10 days is shag all.

She accused me of falsifying information and said that if she insured me on that then they wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim. I told her I didn't want to falsify information, I wanted to know if she could adjust the quote so that it was the same as if I were 21 already, not to change my date of birth on the quote...

No matter how many times I tried to explain it to her I didn't want to "falsify information", I was wondering if she could do anything to better the quote given that it was only 10 poxy days!

Their quote system seems to be an absolute joke... It seems to just be a couple of calculations based on your age, car value etc which is alright as I presume all insurance companies do this, but then they just multiply it by a random number...

So I gave up and hung up on her... I tried to be nice but no...

I rang Axa, spoke to a very pleasant girl who knew what she was talking about, told me that the fact that it being ten days before my birthday affected the quote was ridiculous and it made no difference on my quote there, ipso-facto 5 minutes later I had a quote of e2200, fully comp, a hundred euro or so off as a first time bonus and both of my parents insured on it as named drivers for free

Advertisement