Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I Allowed To Drive??

Options
  • 24-07-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I asked this in another thread but nobody answered, maybe nobody saw it. I went down to the local taxation office with all my bits n pieces for getting my first provisional. The person there said it would be ten days or more before the license is sent out. I was given a letter which confirms that I applied for the license, which license it was for and my name and address of course.

Now, what I was wondering was am I legally allowed to drive provided I have that letter with me while I'm waiting for my license to arrive?? My driving instructor said he wasn't sure but he did know that I am covered when out on lessons with him.

If anyone could please shed some light on this matter, I'd be more than greatful. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I dont know for sure, but i seriously doubt it, You have not received your license, there is no form of photo i.d involved with this piece of paper saying you applied, sure it'll only be a few days, i got my provisional pretty quickly after applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Well its been eight days since I applied for the license. Would have thought I'd get it there and then on the day but nope.

Just want to be sure before going driving. I'm only seventeen and I don't want my driving career to come to a premature end. Haha!!:confused:

The reason I asked was because I'm allowed out with a driving instructor on main roads. If I'm allowed out then, I don't see why I wouldn't be allowed out with no instructor. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not allowed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm allowed out with a driving instructor on main roads. If I'm allowed out then, I don't see why I wouldn't be allowed out with no instructor
    The reasoning behind it that if you're on your own you may not know what to do and cause an collision.

biko wrote:
    The reasoning behind it that if you're on your own you may not know what to do and cause an collision.

Now, I wouldn't even think about driving on my own while on my first provisional. You're not allowed to do that. Hahaha!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got worried when I read "if I'm allowed out with instructor I should be able to go out without instructor" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm only seventeen and I don't want my driving career to come to a premature end. Haha!!

You're not allowed do that. Hahaha!!!

Are you like Speed Racer or something?

biko wrote:
    I got worried when I read "if I'm allowed out with instructor I should be able to go out without instructor" :)

Well I'm obviously not going to go straight out on to big busy roads. I'm unclear in this matter and would just like to know for future reference. :) If I am allowed to drive, one of my parents will definitely be accompanying me to somewhere quiet so I can practice before taking the plunge into the big bad world that is driving on the roads. :)
    I still have a lot of learning to do and am well aware of the dangers of driving a car each and everytime you get sit behind the wheel.

Yes, Stark that cartoon seems to sum up just who I am. Haha! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

No you are not allowed to drive unless you are in possession of the licence. You are also not allowed to take driving lessons without one. The piece of paper you have is a receipt for the money you have paid, i know that when i got mine it clearly said on it that it was not a driving licence and does not permit the applicant to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You are aloud to drive with the receipt but only if accompanied by a fully lisceneced driver you are not however alowed sit your test using only te receipt. The Gardai accept the receipt while you are awaiting your licenece.

I had the same issue when I lost my licence and when I was renewing one too. My driving school wouldnt ake me out since I didnt have my actual liscence but the instructor said it was perfectly legal to drive with just the receipt but since it is needed for the test I could not take the lesson.

No you are not allowed to drive unless you are in possession of the licence. You are also not allowed to take driving lessons without one. The piece of paper you have is a receipt for the money you have paid, i know that when i got mine it clearly said on it that it was not a driving licence and does not permit the applicant to drive.

Is doesn't state anywhere on the letter that I am nor allowed to drive, looking at it now. The only thing of any use that it says is, "This license will be processed as soon as possible and returned to the applicant".

As for lessons, my instructor has confirmed that he can give lessons to people who just possess the letter while waiting for their license. He said, he rang the insurance company and they said it was perfectly ok. :)

EDIT: Rang an insurance company just now to see what the story is and they said its fine to drive with the letter while waiting for your license to be processed and sent out. Funny all the contrasting comments here. Seems to me like a shady area that people should be made aware of. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

sounds strange to me. my receipt specifically told me i couldnt drive. maybe there has been a change in how they are issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The receipt is only proof of applying, it is not a licence to drive. Especially in this case seeing as you are not just renewing one.
    Having a receipt can help you out if you get stopped by the guards but usually they will give 10 days to produce a licence, and very strict guards will contact the motor tax office to find out whether your licence covered the date you were stopped.

Your application could well be rejected (although that happens a lot less when you've gone in as they check it there).

Also, your licence usually will take about 7-10 working days to be sent out. It's a very important item and has to go through quality control to make sure nothing is wrong (especially if you've applied in Smithfield).

Advertisement