Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband Web Accelerator

Options
  • 24-07-2007 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello folks,
    If you use Three's broadband you can install this new software (available from three.ie) that allegedly speeds up your connection, especially if you're not connected through HSDPA but vanilla 3G.
    I don't know about the technology behind it, but the logic seems to be a good old fashioned proxy server, plus you can degrade the quality of the images.
    So far, it isn't making a difference for me (the connection seems slow as usual) but worth trying.

AOC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

aoc wrote:
    Hello folks,
    If you use Three's broadband you can install this new software (available from three.ie) that allegedly speeds up your connection, especially if you're not connected through HSDPA but vanilla 3G.
    I don't know about the technology behind it, but the logic seems to be a good old fashioned proxy server, plus you can degrade the quality of the images.
    So far, it isn't making a difference for me (the connection seems slow as usual) but worth trying.

AOC
    What OS are you using aoc? I don't see anything for usb on XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't make much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭aoc

http://www.three.ie/broadband/web_accelerator.htm

I'm using XP Pro with the USB adapter. We're in the middle of peak time but the "accelerator" thing didn't help, actually it did more damage than good, downloads over HTTP with Firefox were aborting all over the place.
    Now I disabled the accelerator (it's still installed tho) and it's actually going fast, I don't know if it's related or not.

Side note: if you use Firefox, get DownThemAll!. It really helps downloading. I'll try the accelerator again later, now I have to d/l some fat mp3s (via HTTP, it's legal stuff) :)

AOC

Edit: Can someone forward the link for the usage statistics? Not that I'm anywhere near the cap but to be sure to be sure...

watty wrote:
    It won't make much difference

Agreed, but given the speeds we get in the evening, EVERY little helps :).

Wow... tonight's actually not half bad for peak time:

159674397.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Ill give it a twril in a bit as o2 seems to be ok at the moment. Don't want to rock the boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Yeah i downloaded that software, all it does is makes the image quality less to speed it up a bit, i use a thing called faster fox anyway which saves old pages and uses the images already downloaded to make the loading of a page faster. The 3 thing does work alright but it does make things look a little crappier if you want it to speed up significantly, think it would be an excellent tool alright to use if you are in an area with only GPRS because there is an option to just not load images at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ALL webbrowsers have an opton to not load images :)

Does anybody else see this wierd? Iv had 3 mobile broadband for a month now and my uplink has never been more than about 50k but for some reason its 3.3mb tonight! Pity the download isnt as good! :L
    161365593.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Slower than a drug free Tour de France competitor... and that's the best I got after 3/4 tests... :(

161376872.png

*This is not using the "accelerator"..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

aoc wrote:
    Edit: Can someone forward the link for the usage statistics? Not that I'm anywhere near the cap but to be sure to be sure...

This is the link to the usage stats

I'm still scratching my head as to how I managed to clock up 1.5 gigs for the month of July :confused:

Is it safe to say that the 3 Mobile Broadband Web Accelerator is basically the same thing as those accelerators for dial-up connections that do stuff in the background and compress images, thus giving the illusion of a faster speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah, 3 compress the images to smaller files and zip up text etc so that the amount your modem has to download is decreased. It won't increase what speed tests report, but might make browsing a bit quicker.

Hey that link for the usage isnt working, has it been moved or what? Give us the link to the page with the link for it if its still there please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

paruss100 wrote:
    Hey that link for the usage isnt working, has it been moved or what? Give us the link to the page with the link for it if its still there please!
    it still wrks 4 me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Works here. Used less than 700Megabytes this month, lol. Most of that was my little brother today.

Speeds aren't great for my father ATM, first time I've been home to check it since I set it up.

About 20KB/s and 40KB/s for bittorrent for some reason. Worst speeds have gotten is going back to dial up speeds or slightly worse but its not a frequent occurance.

I'm surprised how popular it is in the area since there is wireless operator and the towns exchange is enabled. A lot of people seem to be expecting this thing to be the best thing since sliced bread or something. Its an alternative to dial up and not even that in some areas.

Yeah i agree with that alright, its kinda a poor mans dial-up, you dont need a phone line so you dont need to pay line rental or anything, 19.99 and away you go, perfect for myself really! Im also going to college next year so it will be perfect for me since i will be living there and home aswell and i can bring it with me. Plus i think mabie next year they will bring out an even faster product that subscribers upgrade to.
    Just thought id mention i emailed 3 the other day about the speeds and they rang back and they said they would probably upgrade the system soon in my area, and today i checked the speeds and they are really fast so either its temporary or they actually listend to me!
    162633410.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Wantitnow

I signed up for the 3 broadband 1 week ago, it started out OK, I'm used to 24Kb/s dialup and was getting upto 600Kb/s download and 60Kb/s upload, but it has gradually got slower everyday until this evening I am struggling to get pages at all. Just ran the speedtest.net again and got 13Kb/s download.
    Not happy at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

paruss100 wrote:
    Yeah i agree with that alright, its kinda a poor mans dial-up, you dont need a phone line so you dont need to pay line rental or anything, 19.99 and away you go, perfect for myself really! Im also going to college next year so it will be perfect for me since i will be living there and home aswell and i can bring it with me. Plus i think mabie next year they will bring out an even faster product that subscribers upgrade to.
    Just thought id mention i emailed 3 the other day about the speeds and they rang back and they said they would probably upgrade the system soon in my area, and today i checked the speeds and they are really fast so either its temporary or they actually listend to me!
    162633410.png
    Wow, your upload speeds are really good! I'm on a 2mb eircom connection and only get max uploads of around 215kb/s:
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/163850571.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]163850571.png
    What's your location? If 3 ever upgraded their network and everyone was getting as good as or better results than what you got then I would definitely switch to them. I'm surprised at how quickly all of these mobile broadband packages have taken off- they have the potential to completely destroy fixed line bb companies if they just got their acts together and invested in the network.

rc28 wrote:
    Wow, your upload speeds are really good! I'm on a 2mb eircom connection and only get max uploads of around 215kb/s:
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/163850571.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]163850571.png
    What's your location? If 3 ever upgraded their network and everyone was getting as good as or better results than what you got then I would definitely switch to them. I'm surprised at how quickly all of these mobile broadband packages have taken off- they have the potential to completely destroy fixed line bb companies if they just got their acts together and invested in the network.

That's because speedtest.net doesn't work with dial up connections for uploads a lot of the time.

I had the same thing and I had it happen on our 56K connection too.

brim4brim wrote:
    That's because speedtest.net doesn't work with dial up connections for uploads a lot of the time.

I had the same thing and I had it happen on our 56K connection too.
    What? I'm on a 2mb broadband connection, not dial-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

I have problems with speed of 3 broadband (its about 5kbps yes 5) in the evening. I use my dial up its quicker...
    Three say that there is an upgrade on the network taking place currently and tghis is leading to the slow speeds. they say that in the next week or so the whole network will be 7.2mps not 3.6 anymore.. That would be great if we actually get anything near that...

Very unhappy with it at the moment. 3 broadband is a total waste of money.

rc28 wrote:
    What? I'm on a 2mb broadband connection, not dial-up.

Oops! I thought you were using 3 HSDPA. Its odd that your upload would be faster than your download. Either that or I misread the results and have completely lost the plot.

brim4brim wrote:
    Oops! I thought you were using 3 HSDPA. Its odd that your upload would be faster than your download. Either that or I misread the results and have completely lost the plot.
    No, you're confusing my post with the one above mine on the previous page, he had 3, I had eircom. His upload was faster than his download while my upload was signifigantly less than my download, that's what I was commenting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Look at my 14 days speed graph:
    http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Results/TestStats/?CountryId=104&ConnectionId=23160&UserId=242191
    As you can see, it's kind of ok at 2 am after midnight, but otherwise, and especially in the evening, when we need it, it's totally useless, worse than dialup!
    If this doesn't change in the near future, 3 is doomed.

rc28 wrote:
    Yeah its good mostly but at times it seems to go really slow, iv a feeling that im switching between 2 cells and one has better speeds than the other, just gotta try and stay on the one i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

well, I was considering 3 mobile broadband but after reading this thread I've changed my mind. is it really that bad?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Slower than a drug free Tour de France competitor... and that's the best I got after 3/4 tests... :(

161376872.png

*This is not using the "accelerator"..

yep, it looks as though customers in Limerick are been routed through a standard phone line...and by that I mean a single line for all of us. I have full signal strength but my upload and download speeds are below 40K. If 3 can not provide the service then whay have they been provided a 3G licence. Time to bang a mail off to comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

fkearney wrote:
    yep, it looks as though customers in Limerick are been routed through a standard phone line...and by that I mean a single line for all of us. I have full signal strength but my upload and download speeds are below 40K. If 3 can not provide the service then whay have they been provided a 3G licence. Time to bang a mail off to comreg.

Just sent in a complaint, i would advise everyone here to do same http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/form.asp

What? Is it really that bad in limerick? Ah im going to college next year there and i will be very annoyed if thats what they are doing. I mean how much does it cost to add extra cells to the network, 5, mabie 10 thousand? to cover about 200 customers paying 19.99 a month. I just dont understand how they can advertise speeds of 3.6mbs when its almost impossible to get that speed unless the whole population of the country have been evacuated for some huge disaster or something!
    Ps, sent a complaint message to comreg just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

paruss100 wrote:
    What? Is it really that bad in limerick?

yes, worse than you can possibly imagine...(and I'm not talking broadband)....:eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement