Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied Driver Rule - Insurance's stance

Options
  • 24-07-2007 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I know that it is 'illegal' to drive unaccompanied with L plates, yet the Gaurds don't really care much.

However, if God forbid you were in an accident, would your insurance policy still be valid.

It isn't a question I want to ask the insurance company as they may take a dim view of it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

PS My policy is with Allianz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't know about Allianz but most insurance companies don't have a problem with it. Unless it specifically says so on your policy documents, your insurance company will pay out if you have a crash. They do have the option of suing you for costs if they wish, but I haven't heard of this happening yet. I doubt the insurance companies would want to lose the business they get from L-drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There is lots of big talk about changes , but at present they will pay out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They will pay out third party costs although theoretically they could refuse to cover damage to your own car as you would not be driving within the conditions of your provisional licence.

Unlikely they would do this as Stark says, for fear of losing all that business, but it could happen if you did something really idiotic and they decided not to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks for the comments, I'd say I'm safe enough so.
    They will pay out third party costs ...

Well it's only 3rd party anyway so I wouldn't worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

It doesn't say it in the policy, but in my policy (Quinn Third Party Fire and Theft) it says that to be covered I must abide by the conditions or restrictions placed on my licence. On my licence it has a restriction code 991 which i think is "Must be accompanied by a Fully Licenced Driver". I assume Quinn would take a very dim view if i was driving with effectively no licence to do so. It's likely they wouldn't pay out if i wasn't wearing my glasses either etc...
    However, i believe the insurance companies have to pay out to Third Parties, as insurance is a regulatory thing to protect other road users. However the insurance company can suspend your policy and pursue you for costs through the courts.
    Not having L plates is not a licence condition, but is a rule of the road, and so you are still insured whether or not you have them up, unless its written into your policy.
    Thats just my opinion and interpretation of my policy. All insurers are different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement